By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year! Dragon Age? WTF!

Dragon Age is amazing deserves the reward for,sure.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Dragon Age Inquisition is an amazing game that I am 90 hours into. I imagine you haven't even played it yet.

fatslob-:O said:
Nem said:

I disagree.

Handed on a silver platter? Its the western developers that are handing them the silver platter by releasing overhyped dull unoptimised and buggy games.

There is no handing here. Bayonetta 2 is a very polished product. Dragon age, for as much as i love it, isnt in the same ballpark. Shadow of mordor also has its share. We are paying for unoptimised and buggy products and we should be revering them as GOTY's? Well, i really wont.

No western developer origin is going to make me have a biased opinion. When the game that deserves the award is western i will surely concede it as i have before. I actually agree that the japanese industry has been terrible in the last gen. But, that doesnt in any way make me unable to see what is an achievement in excellence, especially compared to the other games released this year. It isnt because the japanese industry as a whole has been a disappointment that i wont be able to spot when they do it right and deserve praise for it.

So what your basically saying is that Dragon Age: Inqusition and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are unoptimized and buggy products ? Well that's the first I heard of that ...

How exactly is Bayonetta 2 more deserving of GotY when it's weak in many areas compared to Dragon Age: Inquistion ? If metacritic is anything to go by it's that game critics have a favourable bias towards japanese games so those are the games that are been handled a silver platter, not a whole lot of western games ...

Erm... have you even played them? They had to be patched. It wasnt as bad as AC Unity, but its not exactly silky smooth at 60fps without many bugs.

I dont recall using metacritic as an argument, so i dont know what you are talking about.

My argument here is: A polished product is definitly more deserving of an award than an unpolished one. Dragon Age is certainly a very good game despite some technical issues, but my opionion is that GOTY should celebrate the best experience presented to the customer. And given how bad the issues with bugs and unoptimisation have been this year, it definitly deserved to stand out as the example to follow.

vkaraujo said:
I have yet to play DA:Inquisition. If it is anything like DA:Origins is deserves to win, but if it is closer to DA 2, it deserves to burn in hell.

For the moment and for what i saw, i put Smash, Bayonetta 2 and DA:I in the same level. As long as GOTY stays with them (and Dark Souls 2), it is a fair GOTY. I do hope Shovel Knight and Divinity:OS get some GOTY too, those are very good games too.

Oh yes, that's the real shame, that the great Indies get too less praise.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think it deserves it. Excellent and addictive game. I can't wait to see what they do with Mass Effect now.

......... Now if this thread highlighted Destiny, then maybe I'd say otherwise. lol

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
Nem said:

Erm... have you even played them? They had to be patched. It wasnt as bad as AC Unity, but its not exactly silky smooth at 60fps without many bugs.

I dont recall using metacritic as an argument, so i dont know what you are talking about.

My argument here is: A polished product is definitly more deserving of an award than an unpolished one. Dragon Age is certainly a very good game despite some technical issues, but my opionion is that GOTY should celebrate the best experience presented to the customer. And given how bad the issues with bugs and unoptimisation have been this year, it definitly deserved to stand out as the example to follow.

The technical issues in Dragon Age: Inquistion and Shadow of Mordor is hardly what anyone would call a cause for concern ... Your just overexaggerating that aspect ...

@Bold By that criteria  it should be Destiny winning GotY, neither Bayonetta 2 or Dragon Age: Inquisition. 

Delivering the best experience to consumers require more than just polish. Bayonetta 2 falls flat in a lot of areas compared to Dragon Age: Inquistion ... 

pokoko said:
This has been a highly entertaining thread.

The conspiracy theories have been especially awesome. It didn't win because it's a Nintendo game! It didn't win because it's Japanese! EA paid everyone off!

Glorious.

I think my favorite part, however, was when the OP went on a rant about games with mature content immediately after championing a game filled with sexuality and violence. You can't beat that.

On, a serious note, people going ballistic over what game other people like or don't like is nothing short of embarrassing. It's silly, childish, and petty. Nintendo fandom is already reeling after those shameful meltdowns over a simple Pokemon review, now comes pouting about another very good game winning some GOTY awards?

Time to put down the internet for awhile and step away.

You start off with good points, than why do you have to generalize the Nintendo Fandom? There are many Nintendo fans here pointing out why the OP line of thought is not correct. That kind of thing just depreciates your post.

vkaraujo said:
pokoko said:
This has been a highly entertaining thread.

The conspiracy theories have been especially awesome. It didn't win because it's a Nintendo game! It didn't win because it's Japanese! EA paid everyone off!

Glorious.

I think my favorite part, however, was when the OP went on a rant about games with mature content immediately after championing a game filled with sexuality and violence. You can't beat that.

On, a serious note, people going ballistic over what game other people like or don't like is nothing short of embarrassing. It's silly, childish, and petty. Nintendo fandom is already reeling after those shameful meltdowns over a simple Pokemon review, now comes pouting about another very good game winning some GOTY awards?

Time to put down the internet for awhile and step away.

You start off with good points, than why do you have to generalize the Nintendo Fandom? There are many Nintendo fans here pointing out why the OP line of thought is not correct. That kind of thing just depreciates your post.

I did not.  When I say Nintendo fandom is reeling, it means that those who are acting petty are having a negative effect on the whole.

fatslob-:O said:
Nem said:

I disagree.

Handed on a silver platter? Its the western developers that are handing them the silver platter by releasing overhyped dull unoptimised and buggy games.

There is no handing here. Bayonetta 2 is a very polished product. Dragon age, for as much as i love it, isnt in the same ballpark. Shadow of mordor also has its share. We are paying for unoptimised and buggy products and we should be revering them as GOTY's? Well, i really wont.

No western developer origin is going to make me have a biased opinion. When the game that deserves the award is western i will surely concede it as i have before. I actually agree that the japanese industry has been terrible in the last gen. But, that doesnt in any way make me unable to see what is an achievement in excellence, especially compared to the other games released this year. It isnt because the japanese industry as a whole has been a disappointment that i wont be able to spot when they do it right and deserve praise for it.

So what your basically saying is that Dragon Age: Inqusition and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are unoptimized and buggy products ? Well that's the first I heard of that ...

How exactly is Bayonetta 2 more deserving of GotY when it's weak in many areas compared to Dragon Age: Inquistion ? If metacritic is anything to go by it's that game critics have a favourable bias towards japanese games so those are the games that are been handled a silver platter, not a whole lot of western games ...

O_o

There isn't a single Bioware or Bethesda game to release in the past 10 years to not be super buggy.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

O_o

There isn't a single Bioware or Bethesda game to release in the past 10 years to not be super buggy.

I can totally understand Bethesda games but Bioware one's ?! 

Their usually pretty polished considering the lack of massive reports ...