By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year! Dragon Age? WTF!

DexInDaJungle said:
Samus Aran said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
The OP seems flawed and is making up conspiracy theories. 89 and 91 on meta so that means 91 is GOTY? Why? And then to bring up user scores that is worse. Then we have people saying it is nationalism and it is because Bayo2 was a Japanese game yet isn't MGS4 considered to be a Japanese game and it won GOTY. Then someone even said EA paid off sites and reviewers so that is the reason wow....just wow.

Dolph I know you are a huge nintendo fan and that is cool but this thread is just ridiculous man. It has no basis at all.

What's so weird about EA paying off reviewers? 

You really think a big company is not going to do that?

Oh boy... Next you'll tell me that Nixon wasn't involved in the Watergate scandal. 

Well speculating that anyone paid off someone for reviews doesn't really get you anywhere. We'll never be able to prove it and even if it is the case, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo or any other publisher to do the same thing.

Also, gameplay can be amazing which from what I hear Bayo2 was but for some people, they like it when the game can somehow connect to them on a deeper level. Personally, I love stories. Give me a good story and I'll be satisfied, whether it be in movies, TV, Anime, music or video games so I value the story a little more than gameplay.

Sometimes watching a review tells you all you need to know. ;) 

Watching Gamespot's review for DKC: TF and CoD: AW told me all I needed to know about Gamespot. 

Besides, have you read any of my posts? I bought and didn't like Bayonetta 2. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, I'm a video game fan that happens to like a lot of Nintendo franchises. I was a Metroid fan before I knew it was created and made by Nintendo. Hence my name... When I was a kid I loved Pokémon and had no clue it was made by Nintendo. I also loved Mario Kart: Double Dash and never once asked myself who made the game. I was just a little kid who loved games. ;) 

It's only later that I started connecting the dots to all these franchises I happened to like. And what do you know? They were all made by the same company. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
DexInDaJungle said:
Samus Aran said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
The OP seems flawed and is making up conspiracy theories. 89 and 91 on meta so that means 91 is GOTY? Why? And then to bring up user scores that is worse. Then we have people saying it is nationalism and it is because Bayo2 was a Japanese game yet isn't MGS4 considered to be a Japanese game and it won GOTY. Then someone even said EA paid off sites and reviewers so that is the reason wow....just wow.

Dolph I know you are a huge nintendo fan and that is cool but this thread is just ridiculous man. It has no basis at all.

What's so weird about EA paying off reviewers? 

You really think a big company is not going to do that?

Oh boy... Next you'll tell me that Nixon wasn't involved in the Watergate scandal. 

Well speculating that anyone paid off someone for reviews doesn't really get you anywhere. We'll never be able to prove it and even if it is the case, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo or any other publisher to do the same thing.

Also, gameplay can be amazing which from what I hear Bayo2 was but for some people, they like it when the game can somehow connect to them on a deeper level. Personally, I love stories. Give me a good story and I'll be satisfied, whether it be in movies, TV, Anime, music or video games so I value the story a little more than gameplay.

Sometimes watching a review tells you all you need to know. ;) 

Watching Gamespot's review for DKC: TF and CoD: AW told me all I needed to know about Gamespot. 

Besides, have you read any of my posts? I bought and didn't like Bayonetta 2. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, I'm a video game fan that happens to like a lot of Nintendo franchises. I was a Metroid fan before I knew it was created and made by Nintendo. Hence my name... 

If I somehow came off as thinking you're a fanboy then I apologize for that, that was not my intention.

And I can see why you love Metroid, I'm like dying here waiting for a new Metroid game for the Wii U :(

marley said:
Teeqoz said:

Which is just as "facepalm", cause it's still opinions. Some have given Bayo 2 the GOTY, some have given it to DA:I.

He responded to someone who said 'it's all opinions' with evidence (weak as it is) that shows the majority of opinions agree with his sentiment.  Seems like a pretty reasonable response to me.  I feel like you should be directing your 'facepalming' at his OP (which wasn't reasonable).  

It shows the majority of opinions on metacritic agree with him. Not the majority of opinions period.

Don't worry, I facepalmed at the OP as well.

DexInDaJungle said:

If I somehow came off as thinking you're a fanboy then I apologize for that, that was not my intention.

And I can see why you love Metroid, I'm like dying here waiting for a new Metroid game for the Wii U :(

No problem, I'm just a bit annoyed that people automatically assume that I wouldn't dare criticise Nintendo for something. I've often wondered how much the Zelda brand influenced game critic scores. I love most Zelda games, but Skyward Sword? How did that game get such glowing review scores? And then there's Nintendo's CoD aka Pokémon. 

And yeah, hopefully E3 2015 delivers! Well, I hope you're also a Halo fan, so that should ease the wait for Metroid a bit. Even though the gameplay is radically different, It's still a great sci-fi game with a silent protagonist in a robot suit. 

bugrimmar said:
Sorry fool, Dragon Age is hands down the best game this year.

150 hours of rich gameplay beats 10 hours of hack and slash any day of the week.

But there are only 24 hours in any day of the week.

Around the Network

I think this game totally deserved the title. Good Job EA

Nem said:

That comment right there, proves my point.

It doesn't further your argument at all ... 

Your point of japanese games not winning GoTY was null and void long ago ...

Just because japanese developers put some effort this time doesn't mean that they're supposed to be handed is silver platter to them. That would be just plain unethical on the critics part to put aside many of other great western games ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Nem said:

That comment right there, proves my point.

It doesn't further your argument at all ... 

Your point of japanese games not winning GoTY was null and void long ago ...

Just because japanese developers put some effort this time doesn't mean that they're supposed to be handed is silver platter to them. That would be just plain unethical on the critics part to put aside many of other great western games ... 

I disagree.

Handed on a silver platter? Its the western developers that are handing them the silver platter by releasing overhyped dull unoptimised and buggy games.

There is no handing here. Bayonetta 2 is a very polished product. Dragon age, for as much as i love it, isnt in the same ballpark. Shadow of mordor also has its share. We are paying for unoptimised and buggy products and we should be revering them as GOTY's? Well, i really wont.

No western developer origin is going to make me have a biased opinion. When the game that deserves the award is western i will surely concede it as i have before. I actually agree that the japanese industry has been terrible in the last gen. But, that doesnt in any way make me unable to see what is an achievement in excellence, especially compared to the other games released this year. It isnt because the japanese industry as a whole has been a disappointment that i wont be able to spot when they do it right and deserve praise for it.

alternine said:
Abaddon comment should be nominated for an award.

You might be sarcastic but i thank thee :p

Nem said:

I disagree.

Handed on a silver platter? Its the western developers that are handing them the silver platter by releasing overhyped dull unoptimised and buggy games.

There is no handing here. Bayonetta 2 is a very polished product. Dragon age, for as much as i love it, isnt in the same ballpark. Shadow of mordor also has its share. We are paying for unoptimised and buggy products and we should be revering them as GOTY's? Well, i really wont.

No western developer origin is going to make me have a biased opinion. When the game that deserves the award is western i will surely concede it as i have before. I actually agree that the japanese industry has been terrible in the last gen. But, that doesnt in any way make me unable to see what is an achievement in excellence, especially compared to the other games released this year. It isnt because the japanese industry as a whole has been a disappointment that i wont be able to spot when they do it right and deserve praise for it.

So what your basically saying is that Dragon Age: Inqusition and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are unoptimized and buggy products ? Well that's the first I heard of that ...

How exactly is Bayonetta 2 more deserving of GotY when it's weak in many areas compared to Dragon Age: Inquistion ? If metacritic is anything to go by it's that game critics have a favourable bias towards japanese games so those are the games that are been handled a silver platter, not a whole lot of western games ...