By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why US=World argument might actually be legitimate

Insidb said:

When you look at the Mason-Dixon/Red State-Blue State dichotomy, they're actually pretty spot-on about us. My family is primarily based in TN and NY, and each more or less fits the mold for the region (even despite my northern half being very religious and conservative). I've been to about 30 states, and the trends tend to bear themselves out to closely approximate the stereotypes. Having spent half of my life in NYC, I can attest that most Europeans I've met tend to think more alike to city residents than almost any other region of the US.

I hope that clarified things a bit.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.  Even within one state, the culture can vary greatly.  Look at Texas or North Carolina or Florida.  For instance, Raleigh is far more educated than New York.

Around the Network

When people tell Xbox gamers that the US doesn't equal the world it means they are being short sighted. Sony proves time and time again why the rest of the world is extremely important as a whole. The question for you is why cant MS penetrate some of the key places in the same way that Sony does?

I know which piece of the pie I want.

Insidb said:
pokoko said:
Insidb said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but Europeans tend to be better-informed of us than we of them. Working heavily in their favor is the ability to travel easily from nation to nation, whereas the US is basically made up of state nations. I have noticed that Europeans view us as a peculiar duality: the progressive, liberal, American Dream, NYC America vs. the dirty south, warmongering, backwards, bible-thumping Muricuh. Regardless, almost all Eurpoeans I know or work with are very present to what goes on in the US, while many of my compatriots back home know far little beyond the Eiffel Tower and the Colosseum.

I'm kind of confused by your post.  You're saying that Europeans are well informed about the US but then you say that most of them see a massive country with a large amount of diversity as being divided solely between two silly stereotypes?  Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly.  I'm sure most intelligent Europeans know better than that.

When you look at the Mason-Dixon/Red State-Blue State dichotomy, they're actually pretty spot-on about us. My family is primarily based in TN and NY, and each more or less fits the mold for the region (even despite my northern half being very religious and conservative). I've been to about 30 states, and the trends tend to bear themselves out to closely approximate the stereotypes. Having spent half of my life in NYC, I can attest that most Europeans I've met tend to think more alike to city residents than almost any other region of the US.

I hope that clarified things a bit.

I find this post to be more ignorant than the OP.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

brute said:
You guys are attacking him way to quick, he makes some good points in that U.S does spend the most on games. PS3 outsold 360, yet 360 beat it in software sales, and you know why? Because it dominated it in the U.S, also look at the original Xbox's attach rate, it was amazing.

Sure U.S doesn't equal the world, but it is the most important market by far, and people that say the other countries spend just as much as U.S are kidding themselves. Check the other big markets like Germany,France,Italy,Spain,Japan, U.K(not 100% sure on this as it is very similar to U.S) and you'll see that there software sales are much less than U.S in attach rate to consoles sold.

If you were to ask any of the big 3 if they would rather sell 40 million consoles in the U.S, or 40 million in the R.O.W they would choose U.S.

Tie ratios: (US-Europe-Japan-Rotw):

19 PlayStation 4 (PS4) 3.46 3.88 2.77 5.08 3.83
20 Xbox One (XOne) 3.81 4.50 2.50 2.22 3.80

Europe is above US. And that's with $100 games.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
brute said:
You guys are attacking him way to quick, he makes some good points in that U.S does spend the most on games. PS3 outsold 360, yet 360 beat it in software sales, and you know why? Because it dominated it in the U.S, also look at the original Xbox's attach rate, it was amazing.

Sure U.S doesn't equal the world, but it is the most important market by far, and people that say the other countries spend just as much as U.S are kidding themselves. Check the other big markets like Germany,France,Italy,Spain,Japan, U.K(not 100% sure on this as it is very similar to U.S) and you'll see that there software sales are much less than U.S in attach rate to consoles sold.

If you were to ask any of the big 3 if they would rather sell 40 million consoles in the U.S, or 40 million in the R.O.W they would choose U.S.

I believe it. Last time I went to Italy the exchange rate burned a hole in my wallet.

Troll_Whisperer said:
brute said:

True but it's still early, check other gens and you will see, like gen 7 example, ps3 outsold 360, yet 360 beat it in software sales, mostly due to U.S.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

There is so much flaw in that logic

At first,Microsoft won't win the USA by the same amount the 360 did over the PS3.
At second Microsoft won't have 12 out of 12 months going like November and possible December.Those months will get used to egalize a lot of the sales Sony gathered over the other 10 months.
Lets not forget - Sony didn't do much this Holiday in the USA.Maybe they will go aggressive next November too and at least 2016 when they probably have the usual first big price cut.
So the X1 in the best scenario for Microsoft will stay around the same amount of distance with the PS4 as right now aka not a big one.No one is saying the PS4 is slaying the X1 in the USA.The distance between them isn't far.But 2015 won't start by zero and more like a 500k difference - Sony can build up on that year by year if they do it right.
Ok lets go by "neck to neck" in the USA - They are nearly equal.

But what is actually increasing the gap?Why is the PS4 probably around 10 Million ahead already?
Hm if the USA = world and so important how can that happen?
Oh yeah cause Sony understands to penetrate other markets which they completely dominate and widen the gap.
So what does this mean?Europe = World?Rotw = world? Nope World = World.
You have to do good everywhere which only the PS4 is able to do so.There is no competition and the USA isn't the most important market.
Its a market you have to do good in cause a lot of people buy stuff there.But at the end its just a market out of many.
Its for Microsoft the EASIEST to do good in and deliver a fight which may be interesting for some people but at the same time completely meaningless.

LordLichtenstein said:

I know which piece of the pie I want.

This. 

Ask Microsoft execs if they think the rest of the world is irrelevant. How's this even an argument? Oh yeah... 'Murka!!!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!