By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U beaten by the Dreamcast - what now?

Rogerioandrade said:
bananaking21 said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo will still be alive and kicking. Despite an atrocious eighth gen showing, they've mostly eliminated Sony from the handheld space already.

Additionally, their financials are on the rise again, so it isn't even up for consideration to bow out of the home console space. And due to the unique characteristics of the video game business (new system means a reset of perception), the Wii U's failure doesn't dent Nintendo's image all that much.

lets give credit where credit is due shall we? Sony did a much better job at that than nintendo. 

I assume you´re being sarcastic, aren´t you ? :)

He's actually right. Sony never made a Vita-exclusive high profile game with similar quality as the console versions. Uncharted: Golden Abyss was the only half-hearted attempt Sony gave for a popular AAA exclusive on Vita. It never got a full-fledged Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God Of War game unlike PSP and it also never recieved a full-fledged MGS game, or any GTA game. Sony should have done better with it, as its easily the worst PS platform I've ever owned.

Around the Network
ps4tw said:

If Nintendo don't bring out a successor in the next 18 months, they are dead in the living room - apart from ~10 million Nintendo fans, no one else will care for their console and that is far too small a market to bother investing in. 

You mean like they were dead after PS2/GC generation in which PS2 sold nearly 7x times more than GC!?

And you compared Sega and Nintendo!?

This thread is a joke.

I wanted to respond earlier to the trolls who said that PS4 players are graphic whores and all of that. It's a tired argument. There's nothing wrong with wanting graphically advanced games. It's human nature to want something bigger and better than what was previously owned.

But, that's not the only reason I didn't buy the Wii U. I am a mature gamer who likes his mature games. Wii U has one good mature game and that's Bayo 2. I'm not going to pop 300 dollars to play one game.

Also the whole apples and oranges excuse is also tiresome. The Wii U is the Dreamcast of our generation at least in spirit. It's a massive disappointment sales wise. No matter how you twist it.

ps4tw said:

Looking at the sales figures, the Dreamcast, a console widely seen as a failure and the downfall of Sega, sold better than the Wii U to date. As Nintendo has the cash assest to survive a failed console, where will they go from here? It seems that they do not want to adapt to the demands of the modern gamer, and their core user base is smaller than ever. This being said, will this force Nintendo's hand out of the console business just as the Dreamcast did to Sega? How can Nintendo repair the publicity damage the Wii U has done to them in the eyes of gamers? 

Huh? Dreamcast hasn't really been known as a failure. At the time it was the fastest selling console. Sega unfortunately released a whole bunch of systems that didn't do that well. Sega CD, 32x, Saturn and then the dreamcast. The sales for the system dropped dramatically when the PS2 was launched, before that it was far from a failure. Sega at that point was in fairly dire straights and weren't making money off their console. Very different situation from Nintendo.

It's hard to say what the future holds but I don't see it being as bleak as you paint it. More than Nintendo, the industry is in trouble and Sony even with the success of thePS4 seems to be in the most trouble from a big picture perspective. Things need to change and become more sustainable. People will tire of the endless rehashes, ports and rereleases of games and that is going to put many of the large third parties in jeopardy.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

We already have accepted Wii U is a big failure, even Nintendo has accepted. Nobody is surprised. Now, being the leader, breaking records, and been passed by the dreamcast in one region, that's what I call "surprise".

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:

I wanted to respond earlier to the trolls who said that PS4 players are graphic whores and all of that. It's a tired argument. There's nothing wrong with wanting graphically advanced games. It's human nature to want something bigger and better than what was previously owned.

But, that's not the only reason I didn't buy the Wii U. I am a mature gamer who likes his mature games. Wii U has one good mature game and that's Bayo 2. I'm not going to pop 300 dollars to play one game.

Also the whole apples and oranges excuse is also tiresome. The Wii U is the Dreamcast of our generation at least in spirit. It's a massive disappointment sales wise. No matter how you twist it.

1. Its disapointment in sales, but not the quality in its games where it matters for us gamers at least.

2. Have fun with mature games, im getting a kick out of my kiddy games. Guess Im not mature enough to play COD yet :P

No offense but having the Letter "M" on the games box cover doesn't make a game better. Pokemon for example will always be E rated, yet has one of the most dominating/competitive scene in Gaming and alot more than 95%+ of M rated games (in terms of competitivenes) :)

reggin_bolas said:

I am a mature gamer who likes his mature games. Wii U has one good mature game and that's Bayo 2. I'm not going to pop 300 dollars to play one game.

That's really too bad you restrict yourself in that way. 

I'm gonna drop an extended quote from spemanig's sig:

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. 

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Think about this one. I think it'd really serve you well read this over and apply this to your own gaming life.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
reggin_bolas said:

I am a mature gamer who likes his mature games. Wii U has one good mature game and that's Bayo 2. I'm not going to pop 300 dollars to play one game.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. 

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Think about this one. I think it'd really serve you well read this over and apply this to your own gaming life.

Give this guy a break. Its his choice, like you have your own chices. No need to put him down just because you disagree with him.

Loking at hardware sales, unit wise, you might argue that there are some similarities between Wii U and the Dreamcast. However, that comparison isn't too relevant. What matters the most is the ability to make money.
Sega (and Dreamcast in particular) had major flaws when it came to making money.

1. Segas arcade division wasn't as profitable as it used to be, and their home entertainment divisions couldn't make up for lost ground elsewhere.

2. Sega had lost quite a few loyal supporters from the Megadrive era because of how the company treated its loyal supporters (the release of the Sega CD and the 32X did so much long term damage to the company).

3. The hardware in Dreamcast (as well as marketing of the system) was too expensive.

4. Dreamcast's copy protection was easily hacked. Many users were not die hard loyalists who prefered buying games. Instead piracy became a major issue that prevented the Dreamcast from making money.

5. All of the above, and the fact that Microsoft was about to enter the video game market, scared Sega into a series of defensive measures that made them abandon their hardware business.

From what I can see, Nintendo is in a much better position to make money out of the Wii U (even with its current low sales).

GTAexpert said:
fleischr said:
reggin_bolas said:

Give this guy a break. Its his choice, like you have your own chices. No need to put him down just because you disagree with him.

Its silly if you disregard a game because it doesn't have the letter M on the cover though. For Example I guess the only fighting game for adults is mortal kombat..... :-/