Forums - Sales Discussion - Call of Duty Decline Discussion

Call of Duty Franchise Status

Fatigued 78 46.71%

Declining 73 43.71%

Replenishing 16 9.58%

Total:167
DexInDaJungle said:
alternine said:
I really liked Advanced Warfare. If they keep the CoDs like that theres no doubt that sells will be back up despite what naysayers might say.

To be honest I was one of the rare few who didn't hate Ghosts but god damn after playing Advanced Warfare I cant imagine myself going back to Ghosts or any previous CoD for that matter except maybe CoD4 if they ever ported it to new consoles.

The game feels very fresh, faster paced and just overall fun. I used to play CoD and after a few hours or so you start getting the bullshit matches that just frustrate you but I find myself feeling a lot less frustrated with AW. I get killed in the stupidest ways and instead of bitching I'm like "Wow that was badass!" and I try to mimic it.

I don't know, this game just feels like it has more longevity for me personally, I could see myself actually playing this game this time next year too which doesn't happen often with most First Person Shooters for me.

AW killed camping/sniping/using your BRAIN to set kills up. It's only good for shaggies (people who run around like wet dogs). What they need to do is release a better balance of the two to please both sides because AW is practically useless for all but one type of player.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
DexInDaJungle said:
alternine said:
I really liked Advanced Warfare. If they keep the CoDs like that theres no doubt that sells will be back up despite what naysayers might say.

To be honest I was one of the rare few who didn't hate Ghosts but god damn after playing Advanced Warfare I cant imagine myself going back to Ghosts or any previous CoD for that matter except maybe CoD4 if they ever ported it to new consoles.

The game feels very fresh, faster paced and just overall fun. I used to play CoD and after a few hours or so you start getting the bullshit matches that just frustrate you but I find myself feeling a lot less frustrated with AW. I get killed in the stupidest ways and instead of bitching I'm like "Wow that was badass!" and I try to mimic it.

I don't know, this game just feels like it has more longevity for me personally, I could see myself actually playing this game this time next year too which doesn't happen often with most First Person Shooters for me.

AW killed camping/sniping/using your BRAIN to set kills up. It's only good for shaggies (people who run around like wet dogs). What they need to do is release a better balance of the two to please both sides because AW is practically useless for all but one type of player.

Yeah, I feel like they did this on purpose almost. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed. The maps in Ghosts made it harder to camp but it wasn't as bad as AW.

A_C_E said:

Yeah, I feel like they did this on purpose almost. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed. The maps in Ghosts made it harder to camp but it wasn't as bad as AW.

I'm not against running and gunning. It's just a game and however people want to play it is cool with me but, when you purposely eliminate a huge group of players, that isn't cool. I'd rather them release a game that has maps for both types of players. 

I bought AW, coming over from Ghosts and within 3 days, returned it and decided to just keep playing Ghosts. It's a fun game if you like constantly running around and stuff, but me and my friend, we go online and set up kills via stealth and strategy. For us, AW is completely useless and no fun.

A_C_E said:
binary solo said:
Cod4:MW released when 360 and PS3 were 13M and 6M install base respectively, which is slightly less than the combined install bases of PS4/Xb one at AW launch.

MW's 2 platform LTD is ~15.5M. AW's current PS4bone LTD is 6.6M + <20% digital sales(?) ~ 9million. So I don't think there's a lot of merit to the argument that PS4bone install base is too low. I also don't buy the whole generation transition thing, at least not to the extent suggested. The game is cross gen, which means the casuals who don't upgrade to the new gen until years 2-4 are still able to get their CoD fix on old gen units, and there is no reason for them to not buy it, other than franchise fatigue.

IMO CoD has peaked and it will never reach the heights of MW / Blops era. But it will continue to be one of the bigger selling annual releases. If Activision are getting into panic stations because their CoD franchise is selling slightly under 20 million on PS4bone (and how many millions on PC) per year then there is something wrong with their business model.

Thank you. You offered another way of looking at it, comparing the install bases and lining up the releases. And fair enough if you think CoD has reached a fatigued state, considering numbers show this ,your right.

But how can one explain how AW has already outsold Ghosts by a big margin on next gen platforms in only a month? Yes the game is cross gen but we are talking about casual gamers who buy more games in their first two years, hence why CoD sales go up when hardware sales go up. Another point is that 8th gen is growing twice as fast as 7th gen and (surprise, surprise) so is CoD. MW1 sold 15.5 million; MW2 (two years later) then sold 24 million which is a gain of about 55% over MW1. Ghosts sold 5 million on 8th gen; AW (only one year later) has sold 6.6 million on 8th gen so far. I think its safe to say AW will get a few million more sales once december and the rest of 2015 is through. I see AW gaining 70% of sales over ghosts in 8th gen and next years CoD should be even bigger and the year after that I see CoD getting back to around the same number that MW2 generated (maybe not 25-28 million, but still close).

I don't see why Activision would be worried. I read an article with some proffessional journalist talking about how Activision should be worried since CoD isn't selling as well as before and  how Destiny couldn't fill in the gap. This is why I made this thread in the first place because I don't agree with this at all. Activision is raking in money with CoD every year and will continue to do so while being one of, if not the biggest selling game on a yearly basis. What's to worry about when you have the biggest franchise in 8th gen?

Ghosts total sales all platforms = 24.3 million (VGC retail only)

AW total sales all platforms = 11.44M (VGC retail only)

You tell me if AW is going to sell another 13 million over the next year?

Also CoD ghosts equal time on market (4 weeks to date) 4 platform LTD was 11.9M last gen consoles + 1.9M new gen consoles = 13.8 million. So AW retail sales is nearly 2 million behind what Ghosts was in a launch aligned comparison.

It's obvious there has been a large transfer from last gen to this gen. But the total is down.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Personally I don't like COD AW. just don't care for the jet packs.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
DexInDaJungle said:
alternine said:

Nailed it ^^^

Of the options in the poll I'd say fatigued but the yearly releases still allows for time to pass for people to get bored and move on (Yet there Black Ops 2 update not long ago. :P). The yearly cycle is still extremely profitable so Activision are not going to give that up any time soon. The reason being is because the games, are usually always fun.

The main campaigns are stale affairs with stories without risk that there seems little point. Each one having a 'special feature' or seemingly directed more by Michael Bay each iteration.

In MP, I don't like the unreal technology of the future, my favourite games from the series are BO and MW2, BO especially as it to me is the most balanced, sniping takes skill, any gun can take anyone out and you can survive or win many situations. You aren't just dead when someone is in a reloading animation (Yes, I'm talking about you, BO2).

What I'd like to see is a CoD back to basics, so flash technology, nothing that helps you camp other than your good camping skills not an array of unreal technology to set up traps. Classic run and gun gaming too. On and set in Gulf War.

Hmm, pie.

binary solo said:

Ghosts total sales all platforms = 24.3 million (VGC retail only)

AW total sales all platforms = 11.44M (VGC retail only)

You tell me if AW is going to sell another 13 million over the next year?

Also CoD ghosts equal time on market (4 weeks to date) 4 platform LTD was 11.9M last gen consoles + 1.9M new gen consoles = 13.8 million. So AW retail sales is nearly 2 million behind what Ghosts was in a launch aligned comparison.

It's obvious there has been a large transfer from last gen to this gen. But the total is down.

You are right in everything you said. But that's not what I'm pointing out. Ghosts is FAR ahead of AW overall, yes, and AW will not sell as much as Ghosts because CoD is in decline. The reason for this is the major decline of hardware sold per year for 7th gen. Ghosts sold 18 million on 7th gen, AW has only sold 4.65 on 7th gen hardware and won't reach half of what Ghosts did. 7th gen hardware is where the decline is coming from. 8th gen however you can see AW has already outsold ghosts by more than 2 million and should finish about 70% ahead of Ghosts PS4/XOne. Like you said, Ghosts by this time had only sold 1.9 million on 8th gen whereas AW has already sold 6.6 million. That's an increase of over 300%. But we know percentages can be misleading so I'm not holding the 300% to a high standard I'm just pointing out how much faster AW has sold than Ghosts on 8th gen.

Edit --- Also maybe in 2015 we will see CoD's 8th gen sales compensate for 7th gen sales of CoD and outsell AW overall since AW won't sell more than 7 million on 7th gen consoles but I think that may be pushing it a bit. CoD 2015 would have to sell about 15 million on 8th gen in order to do that but we'll see.

AlfredoTurkey said:
A_C_E said:

I'm not against running and gunning. It's just a game and however people want to play it is cool with me but, when you purposely eliminate a huge group of players, that isn't cool. I'd rather them release a game that has maps for both types of players. 

I bought AW, coming over from Ghosts and within 3 days, returned it and decided to just keep playing Ghosts. It's a fun game if you like constantly running around and stuff, but me and my friend, we go online and set up kills via stealth and strategy. For us, AW is completely useless and no fun.

I can play all styles, it just depends on my mood at the time. An easier way to camp in AW is to play on Hardcore but Sledgehammer messed that up when they didn't include Hardcore Ricochet. Its annoying when my own teammates kill me just because they are gun happy. But yeah Ghosts actually had decent maps and a few really good ones. Also a well put together class/perk system.

The great thing about CoD is you can go back to Ghosts, BO2, MW2/3 and there will still be a big community, the only one that seems left out is World at War.

A_C_E said:

I can play all styles, it just depends on my mood at the time. An easier way to camp in AW is to play on Hardcore but Sledgehammer messed that up when they didn't include Hardcore Ricochet. Its annoying when my own teammates kill me just because they are gun happy. But yeah Ghosts actually had decent maps and a few really good ones. Also a well put together class/perk system.

The great thing about CoD is you can go back to Ghosts, BO2, MW2/3 and there will still be a big community, the only one that seems left out is World at War.

Ghosts is really the first COD game I have invested time in (use to play Halo until the fourth game pretty much ruined MP imo) and so, it's weird to watch all the hate that it gets. I really don't understand it. Do you think it's because most people don't like being killed by snipers/campers? That's really all I can think of since AW is so praised and also anti camp.

About the community size... how long can I expect Ghosts to have a decent amount of players? I only play team death match.