By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call of Duty Decline Discussion

Call of Duty Franchise Status

Fatigued 78 46.71%

Declining 73 43.71%

Replenishing 16 9.58%

Total:167

Eh, still selling millions and making loads of cash, so I doubt Activision is concerned.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Eh, still selling millions and making loads of cash, so I doubt Activision is concerned.

Activision stockholders will. COD is a cash guareentee to them. So they build constant good sales around their share price & stock options. If sales decline, shareholders will not be happy at losing that cash.

While yes, still making a lot of money, that's already expected and they don't want to downgrade their revenue.(It's a horrible system where nothing is enough and they're always wanting more money)

OT: I do think the series is in a somewhat fatigued state. I skipped Ghosts and I imagine Ghosts was enough to make a lot of people skip AW(improved as it may be)

I think a more grounded experience, akin to COD4, would be better for the series. More pure gameplay, great maps and even loadouts. Too many 'splosions since Black Ops 1

foodfather said:

I truly believe AW is the 2nd worst in the series (after MW3).

so you think both MW3 and AW were worse games than COD3? (on the PS2/PS3/360) just incase you don't know wihch one I mean. 

PS. Screw the stockholders, because they're the reason this has turned into the shooting version of Fifa. My once fav series, now I haven't bought the last 2 entries and I'll only play them if a friend gives me a loan. It's like Fifa to me. I buy 1 Fifa at full price every 5 years. 

Voltaris said:
Generational transition is just taking its toll, the franchise will be back to where it was before as soon as treyarch drops their next

I agree but I don't think it wil happen by next year. I think it may take about 2 more years before we begin to see CoD selling about 10-15 million on each console this gen.

foodfather said:

I truly believe AW is the 2nd worst in the series (after MW3).

Things such as balancing have always been a issue for COD games, but it also is part of their charm, from the overpowers SMG's in black ops to the overpowered shotguns in MW2. But in this game, 99% of the people you come up against are using the same damn weapons. It comes across as very one note and painfully punishing for people who dare with to chose to use smgs or another playstyle.

Also, you are looking at the worst maps in recent years for a COD game. 

Some really neat features for sure, (exo stuff mainly) but the flow of the game is very poor. A combination of declining quality and fatigue is the problem here. 

I don't think its the 2nd worst but thats just my opinion. I hold all MW's above AW but AW is still a step in the right direction. And your definitely right about how everyone uses the same basic weapons and how the maps are seriously unimagined in this entry. The map design was just so much better in previous entries. I miss MW 2's maps soo much.

Around the Network

COD fans obviously moved over to Titanfall, :P

MoHasanie said:
But it is in decline. What's stopping its casual fan base from purchasing the game on last gen consoles?

Because after many years of owning a console casual gamers typically play them less which is why CoD's sales declined as the 7th gen sales declined. Ghosts sold 19 million on 7th gen consoles, AW on the other hand won't make it past 8 million on 7th gen consoles. Ghosts on 8th gen sold less than 5 million over the course of  13 months but AW on 8th gen has only been out for a month and has already steam rolled past that number suggesting that as 8th gen grows, so will CoD.

Your right, it is in decline overall but the reason I made this thread was to show how the numbers suggest massive growth incoming (and already taking place) for CoD in the 8th generation of consoles. When a game doubles its previous years iteration in a single month it says something to the effect that franchise's decline is due to less yearly sales of PS3/360. Numbers suggest that as 8th gen grows so will CoD, I just wanted to point it out in a thread and see everyone elses opinion as well.

Not only is the decline in sales, it's also in community activity. Back in 2010 - 2012 especially YouTube was always full of trending CoD videos. Now it's just boring to watch and nobody seems to care. The franchise needs a rest.

Just my two cents.

Fatigued. Too many releases in a short time span.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I stopped buying Call of Duty a few years ago. It felt like the same game over and over again.

You need to correlate it to total software sales, not hardware sales. For 2014 you might have a point, but 2013 was a solid year for software sales. Then declining hardware sales didn't stop Grand Theft Auto 5 from putting up massive sales totals.

Then why do CoD sales go up and down in the exact years that hardware go up and down? GTA V is not an annual franchise and was bound to break records, the game was huge.

When I correlate CoD's software sales to yearly PS3/360 hardware sales the numbers line up with each other. When I correlate the software numbers to CoD's software sales the numbers line up with each other. The more hardware that sells yearly, the more software that sells yearly. It really doesn't matter if you correlate CoD's sales to hardware or software because they fall in line with each other. Just because one game (GTA V) broke records doesn't mean overall software sales are higher than the previous years. One game doesn't decide the state of software overall. I see no reason why GTA V has anything to do with CoD's selling patterns. The declining hardware sales not stopping GTA V from breaking records shows GTA was more immune to a declining 7th gen market, that's all, software numbers don't suggest anything else.