By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What conventions would you like to see changed in Zelda U?

Samus Aran said:
Materia-Blade said:
Samus Aran said:

Zelda 1 has some amazingly shitty game design plans. If that game came out today with ALBW graphics it wouldn't even score 70% on metacritic. It's so flawed that it's barely playable without a guide. A good lesson on how to NOT make games. Let's stop being nostalgic about the past please. 

And this game is not steering the direction of the new Zelda. Just because there's a scene in the game that resembles some art design of the first game... That means nothing. I can guarentee you there will be puzzles. You want us to explore an empty world? Well, that will get boring quickly. 

And Metroid definitely is about puzzles, the modern Metroid games at least. Puzzles, exploration and bosses. The funny thing is that the modern Metroid games have barely been about Metroid. They were shoehorned in the Prime trilogy. I don't even see Metroids as a necessary story line for a Metroid game lol. It's never even explained how a Metroid reached planet Talon (when the comet struck, so before the Space Pirates arrived). Even worse, in Prime 3 it is implied that Metroid Prime came from planet Phaaze. How did Metroids reach Phaaze? 

Aonuma was very clear when he said the first zelda was the main inspiration.

And GoW has mythology as its main inspiration, but it's nothing like real mythology. I doubt this game will be anything like Zelda 1, otherwise his game will be a massive bomb that sells even worse than Skyward Sword. 

You really need some text interpretation.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
Samus Aran said:
Materia-Blade said:
Samus Aran said:

Zelda 1 has some amazingly shitty game design plans. If that game came out today with ALBW graphics it wouldn't even score 70% on metacritic. It's so flawed that it's barely playable without a guide. A good lesson on how to NOT make games. Let's stop being nostalgic about the past please. 

And this game is not steering the direction of the new Zelda. Just because there's a scene in the game that resembles some art design of the first game... That means nothing. I can guarentee you there will be puzzles. You want us to explore an empty world? Well, that will get boring quickly. 

And Metroid definitely is about puzzles, the modern Metroid games at least. Puzzles, exploration and bosses. The funny thing is that the modern Metroid games have barely been about Metroid. They were shoehorned in the Prime trilogy. I don't even see Metroids as a necessary story line for a Metroid game lol. It's never even explained how a Metroid reached planet Talon (when the comet struck, so before the Space Pirates arrived). Even worse, in Prime 3 it is implied that Metroid Prime came from planet Phaaze. How did Metroids reach Phaaze? 

Aonuma was very clear when he said the first zelda was the main inspiration.

And GoW has mythology as its main inspiration, but it's nothing like real mythology. I doubt this game will be anything like Zelda 1, otherwise his game will be a massive bomb that sells even worse than Skyward Sword. 

All I'm saying is that this game will be nothing like Zelda 1. ;)

Have you even played that game? It's horrible. Nintendo doesn't make games like that anymore, this is 2014, not 1986 for crying out loud. 

spemanig said:

4. Take puzzles out of dungeons.

I used to think that dungeons were the least fun part of Zelda games. I play Zelda to explore, not to play through these stupid linear puzzle fest. Zelda is not a puzzle game. It wasn't a puzzle game when it started. Why is is now is beyond me, but the most fun I had in Zelda dungeons was in Zelda 1, when dungeons where meant to test skill. To me, the stupid puzzles ruin the dungeons in Zelda games for me. They aren't even good puzzles. I wouldn't mund them being in extra side dungeons, but for the main ones, please leave the puzzles out of it.

I feel like pulling my hair out every time I see this. Which is very often, because it turns out not a lot of people can tell the difference between a puzzle game and an adventure game these days. I guess it's hard to blame them when games media is so insistent that Telltale makes adventure games, as opposed to visual novels that are dry on gameplay even compared to other visual novels.

Man, remember the good old days of Zelda 1 when dungeons tested your skill rather than your patience? I don't.

"Push every block until you find the one that moves" is such a great idea for level designs, I think we'll reuse it 16 times. It really makes the game challenging and engaging and not just tedious!

Hell, there are probably more. This was just from a quick skim.

Less puzzles, but I still want them there, and I wouldn't mind if some enemies were mini puzzles; I don't want a hack'n'slash Zelda. There's some good inspiration in OoT how these types of enemies could function.

Less linearity! I've said it before many times that Zelda would benefit from a Mega Man type of progression; you're free to explore the dungeons anyway you like, but doing them in the right order would be helpful.

More Ganon! Just... moar!!! My favourite villain

Less tutorial, more action! It takes to damn long to get started in the newer entries.

Less handholding.

More exploration.

Basically, go back to the roots of original Zelda!!

Just, add a little bit of story :p

Local co-op would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind online multi player, if done right - but I don't NEED that

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

They should try a good turns evil twist. Everyone is a different Zelda/Link. One of them has got to end up going bad.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Materia-Blade said:

All I'm saying is that this game will be nothing like Zelda 1. ;)

Have you even played that game? It's horrible. Nintendo doesn't make games like that anymore, this is 2014, not 1986 for crying out loud. 

It will be an open world game full of free exploration, that alone already makes it similar to the first legend of Zelda.

If you are reffering to specific game design flaws, I only remember the lack of hints for certain dungeons entrances and some hidden itens. but none of that will happen on Zelda U.

I'll try my hand at this though.

1: Don't reward the player for cutting grass. If they want rupees, hearts, or ammo, they are going to have to earn them. Let the grass be cut if the player chooses to do so, but don't incentivize it.

2: Link should respawn with full health. Find a better way to punish players for dying than starting them with 3 hearts (or 6 in Skyward Sword's case). The only thing that accomplishes is wasting the player's time while they farm for hearts or quick-travel to a fairy fountain or potion shop. It does not make the game more fun or more difficult, only more tedious.

3: Make the map encourage exploration. Previously this has been achieved by hiding parts of the map the player has not yet explored, but if the Game Awards demo is any indication, we will have access to the full map from the start of the game. This means EAD 3 will have to find a new way to use the map to convey a sense of the unknown.

4: Good swordplay. Sword-and-shield combat barely passed for "combat" at all in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Despite the attempts of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to develop the swordplay further, it wasn't actually good in a 3D Zelda game until Skyward Sword. Just because they seem to have dropped the motion controls doesn't mean they should go back to pre-Skyward Sword swordplay. They should try to adapt a similar system -- not 8-directional slashes plus stabs, but new mechanics that make sense for button controls. Honestly, the old mechanics are even okay, but they were never fully utilized. You could perform vertical or horizontal slashes at will, but enemies never required you to use a specific attack, making it an empty distinction.

5: Lots more puzzles because I want spemanig to be mad. :P

the_dengle said:

I'll try my hand at this though.

1: Don't reward the player for cutting grass. If they want rupees, hearts, or ammo, they are going to have to earn them. Let the grass be cut if the player chooses to do so, but don't incentivize it.

I always found this as a weird gameplay design ...

the_dengle said:

2: Link should respawn with full health. Find a better way to punish players for dying than starting them with 3 hearts (or 6 in Skyward Sword's case). The only thing that accomplishes is wasting the player's time while they farm for hearts or quick-travel to a fairy fountain or potion shop. It does not make the game more fun or more difficult, only more tedious.

3: Make the map encourage exploration. Previously this has been achieved by hiding parts of the map the player has not yet explored, but if the Game Awards demo is any indication, we will have access to the full map from the start of the game. This means EAD 3 will have to find a new way to use the map to convey a sense of the unknown.

4: Good swordplay. Sword-and-shield combat barely passed for "combat" at all in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Despite the attempts of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to develop the swordplay further, it wasn't actually good in a 3D Zelda game until Skyward Sword. Just because they seem to have dropped the motion controls doesn't mean they should go back to pre-Skyward Sword swordplay. They should try to adapt a similar system -- not 8-directional slashes plus stabs, but new mechanics that make sense for button controls. Honestly, the old mechanics are even okay, but they were never fully utilized. You could perform vertical or horizontal slashes at will, but enemies never required you to use a specific attack, making it an empty distinction.

2. Yes ...

3. Yes ...

4. Meh ...

the_dengle said:

5: Lots more puzzles because I want spemanig to be mad. :P

fatslob-:O said:

4. Meh ...

You don't want better swordplay? What, do you think Wind Waker's mechanics of "mash B or wait until prompted to press A to win" were the be-all-end-all of what sword combat should be in a Zelda game?

@ oh it was a joke lighten up. Zelda doesn't even have many puzzles, it's a freaking adventure game and people need to deal with it.

Oh and I forgot one, 6: If an enemy drops a heart or a rupee or anything, just give it to me immediately. Don't make me run over there and grab it. Sort of like how Hyrule Warriors handles rupee drops.

Remove the damn stealth sections, they are tedious, unnecessary, clunky and add nothing to the games, worse they detract from them because the basic mechanics of zelda games doesn't lend itself to stealth gameplay.