By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by Microsoft

daredevil.shark said:
JayWood2010 said:

I posted a thread about this a long time ago. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188583&page=0#1

Tomb Raider is Published, funded, and co-developed by Microsoft.  This is why it is very debatable that the timed means only PC.  While it could be on PS4 as well, usually published titles dont go to the competitor's platform. I wouldnt bet against it nor for it.  Whatever happens, happens

Mass effect 1 was published by Microsoft which came to PS3.

I think others have already explained extensively why that specific situation is unlikely to have relevance here.

OT: I somehow missed this. I remember 2 hours at the outset where it appears MS was publishing after an error on their website.

It appears they went back and locked the thing up to a greater extent.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

IF come on ps4 square will have my money, if don't well will play a other game, with ps4/WiiU/PC/vita/3DS, i have enough game to play anyway ^^

So.... is not coming to ps4???? S=

Soundwave said:

I think Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity for 8-12 months, then GOTY edition for both systems.

SFV will be exclusive to PS4, but Super SFV will be for PS4/X1 and maybe even HDS/Fusion. Sony kept MGS4 exclusive, but Metal Gear Rising and MGSV are multiplat, just because you have a deal for one game doesn't mean the IP is exclusive indefinitely and we know Capcom is going to make like 3-4 different versions of SFV. 

There isn't going to be a Super SFV. SFV is adopting a similar model to KI. It's going to get content updates to the base game. 

Dont want to crush your hopes of exclusive but ninja gaiden RE and Résident Evil Revation have been published by nintendo, to be exclusive...for a while, it didnt prevent thé publisher owning thé ip's to publish thèm by himself on other pmatforms

I think at this point it would be very naïve to think greedy square enix will miss thé opportunity to sell thé game on an install base 2 times bigger

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

stop crying and buy an xbox ffs.

Despite the fact i own an expensive gaming rig where i can easily play this game i won't buy this till the day is 5 bucks. I don't like the way square enix is treating tomb raider, and i hope they get incredibly bad sales, so they will never do something so stupid again. Being this a series that sells better in Europe and on playstation cpnsoles, i think this will probably happen...

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes."

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and them. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

The game will come to PS4 eventually, whether it be 6 months or 2 years later. (unless they don't plan on releasing TR3 on ps4 either.)

As Phil Spencer said "I didn't buy it, I didn't buy the franchise." 

So he didn't buy this particular installment in the franchise, and he didn't buy the IP either. As soon as this deal which Phil Spencer himself says has a time limit is over Square Enix are allowed to do whatever the hell they want with it. Are people in this thread really suggesting they won't jump on releasing it on ps4 once the time limit is over?

It's pretty much like Ryse or DR3 :D. Atleast Nintendo and Sony have their own cards tho. (Street Fighter V on PS4 and Bayonttea 2 on Wii U ).
next year is gonna be awesome for everyone! But I'm still worry about my beloved Nintendo and Sony :(.