By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by Microsoft

JayWood2010 said:
Burek said:
JayWood2010 said:

It has been said in August that Microsoft is publishing it... They can go ahead and restate it every month if they wish, it changes nothing...........Until they finally say: "RoTR will never be on another console!"

Maybe, maybe not.  I wouldnt bet against it, nor for it.  It doesnt really effect me either way.  Typically a game that is published (funded and co-developed) doesnt make it to the opposing platform without working around the contract conditions.  As we don't know the conditions its hard for me to say what is going to happen.  Its a sure fire thing it will be on Xbox and PC though.  And with Sony buying out lifetime on SFV i wouldnt hold it out against MSFT to buyout lifetime of tomb raider if they havent already.

Mass Effect 1 must have slipped your mind...

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Burek said:

It has been said in August that Microsoft is publishing it... They can go ahead and restate it every month if they wish, it changes nothing...........Until they finally say: "RoTR will never be on another console!"

Maybe, maybe not.  I wouldnt bet against it, nor for it.  It doesnt really effect me either way.  Typically a game that is published (funded and co-developed) doesnt make it to the opposing platform without working around the contract conditions.  As we don't know the conditions its hard for me to say what is going to happen.  Its a sure fire thing it will be on Xbox and PC though.  And with Sony buying out lifetime on SFV i wouldnt hold it out against MSFT to buyout lifetime of tomb raider if they havent already.

Of course...everything is possible. But TR hasn't been announced for PC, if i'm correct?

But I doubt that MS would now go back to buying extra exclusivity, and pay perhaps even $50-100 miilion for it, when it would have no huge impact on sales. Surely they will get most of their investment back in the first few weeks (not months), with increased console sales, extra marketing during holidays, holiday bundling, royalties on the game without competing platform eating into it.

I doubt MS cares what happens to that game (or any other 3rd party exclusive) 6-9-12 months dow the line (as evidenced by Ryse, DR3 etc.). They certainly don't care enough to waste that much money. The only reason to do it would be to basically troll Sony, and there are surely better and less expensive ways to do it (like giving away Destiny for free on release etc.)

It will be up to the publisher to decide what is best, and TR can certainly shift some PS4 copies down the line to be worth it to port it over...

overman1 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Burek said:

Reading the rest of his statement must have slipped your mind.

overman1 said:

Nope http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6906448

As for Burek ill read your comment later.  Gotta go for the moment

well guess i was wrong. i still see it coming to PS4 down the line though.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

:)

Another bad example

Actually, wrong example

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NINJA-GAIDEN-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802544307d5

DEVELOPER: Tecmo, Co. Ltd. / Team NINJA

PUBLISHER: Tecmo

NightDragon83 said:
LOL this is Bayonetta 2 all over again, and some folks are still in denial over it. I love it.

Not even the same thing but okay.

The funny thing is actually SONY know and how to spend with their money, look how Microsoft spend buying times exclusivity on Xbox 360 games while neglecting building a great 1st party studios and it keep continue on this era, look how mad Xbox fan with Microsoft buying Minecraft games for f***g 3 billion Lol while they can buy street Fighter V easily. PS is doing the righting building 1st party, making 3rd party exclusivity, making a good relationship with Indies developer and 3rd, 2nd party publisher and developer. Like i said having a lot of money is not a guaranteed to dominate gaming market.

Burek said:
JayWood2010 said:

Actually that comes from Microsoft saying that the timed exclusive deal is similar to Dead Rising 3 which means it will be Xbox exclusive during the holiday and in about 6 months it will also come to PC.  Again you can see the tweet by Phil Spencer in the OP of this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188583&page=1

And even with Ryse in a case where Crytek and Microsoft has a strong disagreement it has yet to be announced for PS4 over a year later but was allowed to be announced for PC.  Microsoft tends to not care if a game goes to PC as it isnt their competitor.   Most likely in the contract with third party's it says they can release on PC after a certain time frame if wanted.  This allows Microsoft console exlusivity and gives the third party a perk in other cases it may not have been allowed

Most people understand that this game will launch on Xbox One and Xbox 360 is holiday 2015. After an unspecified time it can appear on other platforms, but that isn't something they want to discuss. Microsoft wants this title to be viewed as an Xbox exclusive. They never said that it won't appear on other consoles for like a la Titanfall. This time they just said exclusive next holiday.

It's really straight forward.