By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edit: Anita Sarkeesian is not helping with the development of Mirrors Edge; Rejoice!

SanAndreasX said:
SMGDFH at any gaming-related petition on change.org.

This is a gaming-industry related petition. It worked on EA before, with KSI. Google it

Around the Network
TRAVIS!!! said:
o_O.Q said:
TRAVIS!!! said:

I don't think you can speak for all gamers. Your idea of what a good game is, probably isn't the same for a lot of other people. Personally, I like games that have a feminist perspective, but I'm definitely not keeping you or anyone else from playing and enjoying the games you want. Games can be so many different and great things.

what does a game with a feminist perspective entail?

keep in mind that anita herself is oppressing women by suggesting that they are too weak to handle gaming controls

" In fact, she went so far as to say that women needed a whole new "simplified" control set for this game"

you see feminism itself is sexist in so many ways that its not even funny

ot i personally don't see the point of a petition as others have said its like a situation where you have a rash and make it worse by scratching it 

Overall, I'd say games with three-dimensional female characters with their own goals, choices and agencies.

And where exactly did she say that women needed simplified controls? Maybe the controls just were too complicated in general? 

"Overall, I'd say games with three-dimensional female characters with their own goals, choices and agencies."

fair enough i can agree that this would be good

i personally do not think that game devs put men in more active roles in games and women in more passive roles because they had a problem with women

i believe it to be because generally when we look through history and look at all of the explorers, soldiers, fighters, car racers, sports stars etc

men have generally dominated these fields by a large margin

as a result when we apply these fields to gaming as the main genres and also considering that for years gaming has been a male thing

to me it seems obvious why games were set up as they were up to this point... anitas acertions that it happened because of misogyny rub me the wrong way

"And where exactly did she say that women needed simplified controls? "

". “I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult controls”, that’s what she’s reported to have said. Now I played Mirrors Edge right through and while the controls weren’t perfect they weren’t difficult as such, just not immediately intuitive. So the first question is why is Ms Sarkeesian saying she can understand female gamers not buying it because of that ? Do Female gamers have more issues with controllers than male gamers ?"

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/the-sarkeesian-the-dice-and-the-mirror--235992.phtml#RgOrTLtHcdik7PQL.99

Who cares what she does? Ignore her. She is a no-body until you decide to give her importance.

These petitions will only help her play the victim even more.

Eww girls.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

o_O.Q said:

"Overall, I'd say games with three-dimensional female characters with their own goals, choices and agencies."

fair enough i can agree that this would be good

i personally do not think that game devs put men in more active roles in games and women in more passive roles because they had a problem with women

i believe it to be because generally when we look through history and look at all of the explorers, soldiers, fighters, car racers, sports stars etc

men have generally dominated these fields by a large margin

as a result when we apply these fields to gaming as the main genres and also considering that for years gaming has been a male thing

to me it seems obvious why games were set up as they were up to this point... anitas acertions that it happened because of misogyny rub me the wrong way

"And where exactly did she say that women needed simplified controls? "

". “I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult controls”, that’s what she’s reported to have said. Now I played Mirrors Edge right through and while the controls weren’t perfect they weren’t difficult as such, just not immediately intuitive. So the first question is why is Ms Sarkeesian saying she can understand female gamers not buying it because of that ? Do Female gamers have more issues with controllers than male gamers ?"

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/the-sarkeesian-the-dice-and-the-mirror--235992.phtml#RgOrTLtHcdik7PQL.99

I dunno. I don't think she really meant to say female gamers have had more difficulties with the controls than male gamers. 

And I'm definitely not saying everyone who includes something in a game that is kinda sexist or uses certain tropes is automatically misogynist. I'm sure lots of people do so without any evil intentions and aren't really aware of it. Like, there were things about female representation in games or movies that I just didn't question in any way  and wasn't aware of, which I now see and understand, but that doesn't mean I automatically dislike those games and movies. 

I just think it would be nice if there were more developers who were aware of some things so that they could take some different approaches. Not everything has to stay the way it is, just because that's how it has always been.

And I gotta say this again, just because some people want more games with a feminist perspective, that doesn't mean games that do things differently need to go away or shouldn't be enjoyed.

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
binary solo said:
Why try to get her kicked off? Surely having her on the dev team is a good thing. Don't you want her to put her money where her mouth is?

Either it will prove that great and compelling games can be made with zero content that can be alleged to be sexist. Or it will prove that she is shit at actually working on game content because her ideas and demands are simply unmarketable. Either way the industry gets to move on.

I support Anita Sarkeesian being on the dev team. Clearly she won;t be writing or directing or designing. She's obviously a "gender content" consultant. So in the end the elements of a game that are supposedly meant to be most important (gameplay) should not at all be influenced or affected by her. So why are people actually concerned? Is it just because they hate her? Yeah, I think it is.

Aaand Mirrors Edge was sexist in what way?

Can you point out where I said Mirror's Edge is sexist? Can you point out where Anita Sarkeesian has levelled an accusation of sexist tropes against Mirror's Edge? Perhaps she, and EA, chose Mirror's Edge as a "safe" project for her to work on because there is essentially nothing objectionable from a feminist perspective, and she can get some inside appreciation and understanding of game development with very little chance of her actually fucking up the game.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

WHY EA?! WHY?!?!?!?

WHY COULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN A GAME I DON'T CARE ABOUT, LIKE 90% OF YOUR OTHER CRAP?!?!

TRAVIS!!! said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
TRAVIS!!! said:

Guess she chose the wrong name for her show then!

If people were something just because they called themselves it, then this would be a completely different world now wouldn't it?

She uses feminism as a guise to disguise her own ideals, claiming gender equality while simutaneously assaulting another. Not only speaking for all men, all women, and all minorities but also immedeatly dismissing any opposition regardless of where it comes from as part of this hate group she's manufactured for herself. 

Not only is that not feminist, but it gives feminism an even worse name, and she is deliberatly doing so.

I (as a male) can of course only speak for myself, but I never felt assaulted or attack by anything she said, and I mean, she even says at the beginning of some of her videos that you can still enjoy a game despite it maybe having content you dislike/disagree with. I think some people who are trying to stop her a far more aggressive than Anita and her supporters.

Your personal opinion does not invalidate her deliberate antagonism of the gaming community simply because she had opposition. Simply assuming that her opposition is more aggressive then her is the just another form of demonizing her opposition regardless of the variety in nature and disposition.

Furthermore, it has no bearing on whether or not she is advocating for gender equality or even women in general. Which she is not ergo, she might claim to be a feminist, and people like her aren't doing those who are fighting for true gender equality any favors.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Sounds like a PR stunt and nothing more. Anita doesn't even play half the games she critiques (if you can even call it that), so I doubt she can do anything towards helping game development.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I wonder if face to face the people developing Mirror's Edge 2 will be unable to ignore the hypocrisy and dishonesty that her video's are laden with.

I do want more female protagonist and characters in gaming, but I don't call that companies that focus more on male characters sexist as their just appealing to their biggest demographic.

It's also worth noting that her ridiculous standards for female characters is so high that Mirrors Edge was one of the few games with female protagonist to meet her standards.

She is definitely a third wave feminist.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE