By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who is the Japanese equivalent of EA? Square Enix, or Capcom?

Who is the Japanese equivalent of EA?

Square Enix. 113 51.83%

Capcom. 105 48.17%

Total:218
outlawauron said:
MDMAlliance said:
outlawauron said:
Capcom easy. People only hate Square because of the long dev cycles.

Do you really believe that? I'm pretty sure that people hate on Square Enix for totally different reasons.

I'd love to hear a reason that isn't FF13.

How about rarely localizing anything that isn't Final Fantasy?

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Like ?

Square Enix seem to have very little regard for their fans. Not just the people who had played Tomb raider on a platform for a couple of decades, who they took a giant dump on the heads of, but those who played FF11 then moved on to what FF14 started out as, and they took absolutely no notice of the feedback, until it killed the game and they had to totally reboot. I often look at things in their games, and wonder how they thought it would be enjoyable and a good idea. At every reveal I expect something like, "Hey Deus Ex fans, please be greatful our next game will be a Candy Crush Saga clone, enjoy and buy it."

fatslob-:O said:
kupomogli said:

Like ?

By that I mean recently.  Last gen they released franchises left and right, and then at the end of the gen they just stopped localizing anything unless it was Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. 

They've made several comments about how they want to release Dragon Quest 7 but they're not sure how well it'd sell, nevermind about how Dragon Quest 9 sold over a million copies in the west.  Or what about Bravely Default, the game had to be localized by Nintendo for us to see it in the west. 

kupomogli said:
outlawauron said:
MDMAlliance said:
outlawauron said:
Capcom easy. People only hate Square because of the long dev cycles.

Do you really believe that? I'm pretty sure that people hate on Square Enix for totally different reasons.

I'd love to hear a reason that isn't FF13.

Outside of a few handhelds titles (and the biggest offender is getting remastered, which more than makes up for it), what isn't being brought over? The localizations they do are fantastic and much higher quality than any other Japanese publisher.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

By that I mean recently.  Last gen they released franchises left and right, and then at the end of the gen they just stopped localizing anything unless it was Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. 

They've made several comments about how they want to release Dragon Quest 7 but they're not sure how well it'd sell, nevermind about how Dragon Quest 9 sold over a million copies in the west.  Or what about Bravely Default, the game had to be localized by Nintendo for us to see it in the west. 

It looks like outlawauron beat me first to some of the things he mentioned ...

At least SE ALLOWED Nintendo to localize Bravely Default ... 

SE isn't as bad as you think they are when it comes to localization. I think there has been 13 or so games that they haven't localized in the past 5 or so years. 4 of them are blatant remakes and the other 4 is based off of other japanese media such as Manga's so that's understandable. 

kupomogli said:
fluky-nintendy said:
EA is officially now one of my favorites. They gave 3 FREE games right out of the bat. I already forgot what they did wrong xD

Most people hate EA because it's the popular thing to do rather than what they've actually done for the gaming community.  Then for their reasoning they'll dredge up what EA has done over a decade ago, the yearly sports games despite every other company making yearly revisions of sports/fighters/etc, the very few games that were broken at launch, but fixed shortly after, with everyone conveniently forgetting the free games they've given during those times or all the good games they've released. 

While a lot of companies can do no wrong in peoples eyes, EA can do no right.  Doesn't matter what they do, everyone will hate on them because it's EA. 

Groundless Reasons why to hate EA? 

So lets see what EA has done for the Gaming Industry

1. Not supporting the Dreamcast despite supporting every console prior and after regardless of sales, or isnt the WiiU getting any Fifa and Madden?  The Dreamcast didnt get a single game from EA. Seems EA conspired for MS.

2. Tried to establish Online pass in console gaming which thank god failed.

3. Buying up studios and then shutting them down and making nothing with their IPs (westwoods).

4. Day 1 DLC

5. Same IPs every year

6. Origins

7. Origins spy's on your computer to search for information so they can sell it on the internet and make money out of you. And no one knows what they plan to do in the future, maybe if they see a pirated game from EA? they gonna take you in prison?

8. Being banned from the Origins Forums  will result in losing  all your games you have purchased.

9. Bribing  Journalists and Media

10. Spending more money on Marketing (Propaganda) than at the actual game development.

11. They shoehorn in Multiplayer in their games, see dead space 3.

12. They heavily backed the Xbox Ones DRM policy's in the earlier stage, they might again like with the Dreamcast would have boycotted the PS4 in order to win and make DRM the future of console gaming, but things turned differently. Thats why they are not allowed to have EA pass on sonys console and peter more is coming like a puddle with his  free mirrors edge in the PSX event. I wouldnt wonder at all that this is another atempt to bribing EA aceess on playstation.

13. Actively trying to influence the console wars in their favor, see 3do, dreamcast, xbox one drm version, now xbox one ea pass.

14. They are shutting down the servers on older games so you have to re buy newer versions, see the MMA games in 7th gen.

15. They remove official servers so people have to rent them from EA costing the community even more money, see BF3 on ps3.

16. Planed an Origin Two Year Entitlement Clause, EA planed to turn off inactive accounts purchasing history. 

17. Origins is a system Hog.

18. Welcome to EAs newest monstrosity concept, MICRO TRANSACTIONS. Pay to Win, in every EA Game from now on.

19. Develop sometimes good and unique Games like Alice Madness returns and Mirrors edge but dont make sequels or are very lazy. 

Its now what? 6 years since Mirrors edge came out and we still havent seen any gameplay footage after the announced of the second game which i think will be canceled in the end. BF is more important i guess. 

In comparison its now 9 years since we havent got a new team ico game after shadow of the colossus, 9 and 6 isnt that much of a difference.

20. They do everything to stop used games.

21. Thats why all their Retail PC games now have DRM

22. Youre forced to install Origins and register the game on your origins account if you want to play their retail or digital PC games.

23. Their games have the DLC on the disc, in some very rare cases you can unlock it by editing some text data, see alice madness returns PC.

24. Most of their games are overrated see Mass Effect

25. Banning Origin Users (and from playing their games they have purchased) for criticizing EA in their Origins Forum.

26. Is from now on selling all their digital pc games only on origins.

27. Release unfinished and buggy games, see BF4.

28. Treats its employee very bad the rumors say.

29. EA was rated as Americas worst Company in 2012.

30. Lying about DRM not in the game, see spore.

31. Always online attempt in their pc games, see SimCity 2013.

32. Is bribing official sports teams to have the rights exclusively to have them in their games.

33. They have monopolies in most sports games and its boring

34. Many of these sports games every year are a waste of resources and are bad for the environment. 

35. EA Access is not a good deal, its just another atemp to change the industry like they want. 

Ruler said:

So parroting what every has been saying for decades, bs statements, and then one issue broken into several.  Like I said, doesn't matter how much good EA does, you'll have people hating on them for no reason at all.  More than likely you're one of the 99.9% of people who have never been effected by anything EA has done and are just hating on EA because it's the cool thing to do.  Yeah.  You're real cool. 

kupomogli said:
Ruler said:

So parroting what every has been saying for decades, bs statements, and then one issue broken into several.  Like I said, doesn't matter how much good EA does, you'll have people hating on them for no reason at all.  More than likely you're one of the 99.9% of people who have never been effected by anything EA has done and are just hating on EA because it's the cool thing to do.  Yeah.  You're real cool. 

i am not effected by it? Sega no console anymore, xbox one almost drm? this is not effecting me?

This sealed the deal for me. No company has teased my hopes before dashing its head against the rocks like Square.