By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looking at the game of the year nominees, made me think was 2014 a bad year for gaming?

I mean Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age III, Dark Souls II, Bayonetta 2 up for game of the year. The previous installements of those were on par and they weren't even top 5 of their respective years. This year no game has over 90 in metacritic and last year we had Bioshock, GTA V, The Last of Us in the high 90s.

A lot of very hyped games such as Destiny, Unity, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs dissapointed, but surely at least one of them should have been up for GOTY|?

Around the Network

2014 was great if you've got a wii u, I really don't understand how ssbu is not up for goy.

Both Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 has 90+ on meta critic

SSBU and Bayonetta 2 both scored over 90 in metacritic, 2014 did disappoint but it also did have some good games, just not like previous years.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

its not a bad year but gaming journalism becomes less corrupt due to the community backclash and various smaller competition. Games like bayonetta and dark souls were always the best

Around the Network

Well considering Dragon age: Inquisition is one of the best games ever created and better than the previous DA games in every way It's not bad. It was underscored compared to the first game which got a 91 just because it's a sequel, some series get away with it though. Far Cry 4 wasn't a disappointment at all so I don't know what you're basing that off of.

I'd say the year was fine. I loved 3 out of the 5 games for the goty contender on VGA and wouldn't have been mad if either one won. Completely deserved if you ask me.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nope, it was a brilliant year! Some of the best games ever released this year!

Agreed. Loved this year and looking forward to the next too. 

There were plenty of good games, but I don't think it will be remembered as a great year. I expect 2015 will make this year look like even worse

There were some good games and there were some bad games, just like every year, although there were some disappointing games this year as well but I think that Bayonetta, Dragon Age and Shadow of Mordor deserved the nominations.

Not for Wii U owners! MK8 and Smash Bros. will always have long legs.