By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looking at the game of the year nominees, made me think was 2014 a bad year for gaming?

Wouldnt call it a bad year.. I was really pleasantly surprised by shadow of mordor. It also takes my goty as i think the nemesis system really is unique in a world littered with rehashes and sequels with very little differentiators in terms of gameplay. Dark souls 2 i enjoyed as expected, but the fake graphics trailers left a bad taste in my mouth during my run which prevents it from being a contender. No doubt that last year was better though... Gta v and the last of us in one year will be tough to beat.

Around the Network

I think Watch Dogs should have been in there, i know it was way over hyped but it was still a really good game and i really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the sequel.

It was a pretty mediocre year, for me at least.

There just wasn't much that felt fresh or unique. I liked Bayonetta 2, I liked Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, and so on, but none of them offered anything truly revolutionary. I don't own a PS4 or XBone, but nothing on the 360 or PS3 (which is mostly the same stuff) seemed interesting to me.

The only game that really stuck out to me was Bravely Default. It's not so much that it was really new and exciting, but it was a style of game that isn't really made anymore.

2014 was an OK year for gaming! 2012, on the other hand.........

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Those 5 nominees are all awesome games. DA 3 will win tough its hands down the best RPG since DAO.

Around the Network
dyremose said:
Wouldnt call it a bad year.. I was really pleasantly surprised by shadow of mordor. It also takes my goty as i think the nemesis system really is unique in a world littered with rehashes and sequels with very little differentiators in terms of gameplay. Dark souls 2 i enjoyed as expected, but the fake graphics trailers left a bad taste in my mouth during my run which prevents it from being a contender. No doubt that last year was better though... Gta v and the last of us in one year will be tough to beat.

2014 was an average year, 2013 had not only GTA V , TLOU but AC Black Flag, Tomb Raider and more, so 2013 was a better year.

2014 had a better COD, a very fun Far Cry 4, Wii U great games, Dark Souls 2 and Shadows, I wouldt say its a bad year, but 2013 games had more quality. 

It reminds me of 2007, that in my view was one of the best years with Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Crysis, Portal and Bioshock. 

germibobi said:

I mean Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age III, Dark Souls II, Bayonetta 2 up for game of the year. The previous installements of those were on par and they weren't even top 5 of their respective years. This year no game has over 90 in metacritic and last year we had Bioshock, GTA V, The Last of Us in the high 90s.

A lot of very hyped games such as Destiny, Unity, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs dissapointed, but surely at least one of them should have been up for GOTY|?

Shame on you sir for thinking Dark Souls II was as good as the original >:|

But in seriousness I think this year has been kinda lame. Not the worst year in gaming, but many big franchises had really disappointing years. The Sims 4 and Unity come to mind.

]

I was thinking the same thing. I mean yeah they kinda ignored InFamous' existence, but the second one was better anyways.

However some of the previous years set a pretty high bar. I mean Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, and Grand Theft Auto 5 all came out in the same bloody year!

I thought 2014 was rather average.
2015 on the other hand should have a much better GOTY nominee list.
Witcher 3, Zelda U, Halo 5, UC4, Batman, MGSV, Tomb Raider, Bloodborne, No Mans Sky etc.
Theres plenty more, just these are the ones I find least likely to end up dissapointments like the long list we had this year.

I find it amusing how OP never even considered Titanfall. No one seems to remember that game was ever a thing. One year ago everyone had it a lock for GOTY.

Speaks volumes of its success.