By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why has Nintendo given up on Metroid?

Dr.Vita said:
Maybe because Metroid is a little bit more for adults and not for kids.

Are you saying that Nintendo is focusing on children?

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
Dr.Vita said:

Yes.

Dr.Vita said:
XanderXT said:
Dr.Vita said:

Yes.

Bayonetta, Devils Third, Xenoblade says otherwise.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
NoirSon said:
artur-fernand said:
SJReiter said:
Well, 2016 is the 30th anniversary of the Metroid series, so I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Wii U Metroid game then. Also, I'm fairly confident we'll get a 3DS Metroid game next year, since the 2015 3DS lineup so far seems VERY thin. They need a 3DS Metroid game for 2015.

That doesn't seem to make difference for Nintendo. 2011 was Metroid's 25th anniversary and we got NOTHING. Zelda got tons of celebration. METROID GOT NOTHING.

And seeing as 2016 is also Zelda's 30th anniversary... yeah.

Yep, it does sort of suck sharing the anniversary with the other big Nintendo franchise.

Personally I'm not expecting them to make a big deal out of the 30th anniversary of Zelda. For one because it would be overkill to go all out like they did with the 25th every 5 years and '30' isn't really a special number either. Secondly because we'll get two Zelda games in 2015 for both 3DS and WiiU, so I doubt we're going to see more games in 2016...

S.Peelman said:
NoirSon said:
artur-fernand said:
SJReiter said:
Well, 2016 is the 30th anniversary of the Metroid series, so I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Wii U Metroid game then. Also, I'm fairly confident we'll get a 3DS Metroid game next year, since the 2015 3DS lineup so far seems VERY thin. They need a 3DS Metroid game for 2015.

That doesn't seem to make difference for Nintendo. 2011 was Metroid's 25th anniversary and we got NOTHING. Zelda got tons of celebration. METROID GOT NOTHING.

Yep, it does sort of suck sharing the anniversary with the other big Nintendo franchise.

Personally I'm not expecting them to make a big deal out of the 30th anniversary of Zelda. For one because it would be overkill to go all out like they did with the 25th every 5 years and '30' isn't really a special number either. Secondly because we'll get two Zelda games in 2015 for both 3DS and WiiU, so I doubt we're going to see more games in 2016...

Yeah I don't see 2016 as being a huge Zelda year, considering we're getting a remake and a new game in 2015. The most I could see is maaaaaybe a new Zelda 3DS game or a Twilight Princess HD remaster. Something like that. As far as Metroid is concerned, a Wii U Metroid game in 2016 seems quite likely.

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
artur-fernand said:
SJReiter said:

Why would it suck? There's no way there will be much focus on Zelda in 2016. We get Majora's Mask remake and Zelda U in 2015. Only two things are possible for 2016: TP remake or a new Zelda for the 3DS.

Fusioncode said:

It has been almost 5 years since the last entry. I don't get it, why is Nintendo not prioritizing one of their most beloved franchises? Does it not sell well enough? Was Other M so horrible that it killed the series for good? Lack of resources?

Come on big N. Give us Metroid and all complaints about WiiU will be forgiven.

They're doing it because of sales. The series is my favorite franchise of theres but let's face it... it doesn't sell all that well. 

prayformojo said:
Fusioncode said:

It has been almost 5 years since the last entry. I don't get it, why is Nintendo not prioritizing one of their most beloved franchises? Does it not sell well enough? Was Other M so horrible that it killed the series for good? Lack of resources?

They're doing it because of sales. The series is my favorite franchise of theres but let's face it... it doesn't sell all that well. 

Yet we get boring Star Fox.

Samus Aran said:
prayformojo said:
Fusioncode said:

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Maybe a part of the Metroid issue is that Retro set the bar at a level they can't compete with? Nintendo are geniuses but one thing they've never done is make a great FPS.

Samus Aran said:
prayformojo said:
Fusioncode said:

I think the reason they chose to make a Star Fox game was because they thought it could have some interesting uses of the GamePad, whereas they probably figure there's not much they could do with the GamePad in a Metroid game. For better or worse, this was likely a significant factor.