By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tons of new Zelda U shown at Game Awards! What did you think?

Samus Aran said:

Most Wii U games have changed little from their first reveal trailer, so I doubt it will change much like you guys think. Only exception I can think off is Yoshi's Woolly World. 

Twilight Princess was an ugly looking game for the Gamecube and Skyward Sword was an ugly looking game for the Wii. Luckily the gameplay from TP was very good, so I have no doubt that the gameplay aspect of Zelda U will also be of high quality (I hated Skyward Sword though). When's the last time the Zelda team pushed a console to its limit? Maybe Majora's Mask, I'm not familiar with N64 games. 

While not as dramatic as Yoshi, Xenoblade X also saw advancement from its first trailer, with pop-in reduced and animations smoothed out.

Twilight Princess pushed the Gamecube's limits in terms of memory and disc space, though the resulting texture compression has aged poorly. Majora's Mask is the last one that really maxed out its hardware though, yeah.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

Most Wii U games have changed little from their first reveal trailer, so I doubt it will change much like you guys think. Only exception I can think off is Yoshi's Woolly World. 

Twilight Princess was an ugly looking game for the Gamecube and Skyward Sword was an ugly looking game for the Wii. Luckily the gameplay from TP was very good, so I have no doubt that the gameplay aspect of Zelda U will also be of high quality (I hated Skyward Sword though). When's the last time the Zelda team pushed a console to its limit? Maybe Majora's Mask, I'm not familiar with N64 games. 

While not as dramatic as Yoshi, Xenoblade X also saw advancement from its first trailer, with pop-in reduced and animations smoothed out.

Twilight Princess pushed the Gamecube's limits in terms of memory and disc space, though the resulting texture compression has aged poorly. Majora's Mask is the last one that really maxed out its hardware though, yeah.

I'm actually in the camp of downgrade for Xenoblade, but I'm not going to comment on it before I've seen more areas of the game.

But from what I remember Metroid Prime 2 had a much bigger world than TP and looked a lot prettier. Of course the game was filled with hidden loading screens (the doors that won't open), but I didn't mind that as long as it looked that good.

Samus Aran said:
Materia-Blade said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

You sound like you have never seen a pre-alpha build in ur life... You do realise that pre-alpha =/= Release Candiate right? Of course the early builds are going to have wonky textures as well as empty sections cause those are not finished yet and that is how early builds work... They aren't entirely representitive of the final product and the point of the demo they showed wasn't to show off the graphics capability hence why they filmed it off screen instead of doing full screen. The point of the demo was to show how large the world is going to be as well some gameplay elements, if they wanted to show just pure graphics, they would have done so via many other methods. And its not like it didn't have sections that didn't look great either which for an early build is quite wonderful

THIS a thousand times.

WRONG. most wii u titles had an upgrade since it's reveal trailers. TP was one of the top graphics of gamecube (and generation). and SS had great graphics for the wii.

Ssliasil said:
I love Zelda but...That world is fugging EMPTY, but huge and pretty

YEah. As we all know the real world is a compound to farm animals and you've to be carefull walking out of your town to not to be overrun by them...

And those Moblins - they eat only vegetables for sure. Thats why they are so angry at link - he's not politically correct and they have to protect the animals

Materia-Blade said:
Soundwave said:
It looked nice animation wise especially on the horses but the world looked pretty empty/dull. The slow mo gyro shooting looked cool.

I guess the Skyward Sword controls got the axe, which I'm ok with (weren't accurate enough).

I'm pretty sure the only reason why SS controls aren't used is because wii mote+ + nunchuck isn't the default wii u controller.

Exactly. Also they don't have the time and budget to implement both. There would be NO difficulty if you are targeting via WiiMote on somthing thats designed to be targeted via GamePad... . To bad as SS was the most immersive Zelda I've ever experienced. But better a new GamePad Zelda than no Zelda at all...

Around the Network

I really don't understand people claiming the world is empty, the game is a year from release. You don't build all the components of the game up front and spend the remainder of the time simply putting those pieces together.

Different aspects of the development start at different times and take different amounts of time to complete. It could very well be that they aren't very far into the development of generic enemies, NPCs and their programming routines so didn't want to to populate a demo with potentially buggy enemies. Or they simply didn't want to give too much away.

Mindblown!

Found this on GAF

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm actually in the camp of downgrade for Xenoblade, but I'm not going to comment on it before I've seen more areas of the game.

But from what I remember Metroid Prime 2 had a much bigger world than TP and looked a lot prettier. Of course the game was filled with hidden loading screens (the doors that won't open), but I didn't mind that as long as it looked that good.

In X's first trailer, animations skipped awkwardly from one to the other without a smooth transition, and grass popped in and out at quite close range; neither of these problems were evident in footage since E3 2013. (There's still pop, but it's less aggressive)

And yeah, Prime 2 looked better than TP, but that's cos it compartmentalized its world into smaller chunks. There was no equivalent to Hyrule Field.

hsrob said:

I really don't understand people claiming the world is empty, the game is a year from release. You don't build all the components of the game up front and spend the remainder of the time simply putting those pieces together.

Different aspects of the development start at different times and take different amounts of time to complete. It could very well be that they aren't very far into the development of generic enemies, NPCs and their programming routines so didn't want to to populate a demo with potentially buggy enemies. Or they simply didn't want to give too much away.

Well, the thing is - the world is empty, and not just the lack of NPCs, but very copy/paste look of it and lack of diversity and details.

They should've waited until they actually have something to show, cause this looks more like a prototype than a game that's ready to ship in a year - horizontal slices (which, I guess, this can be called) are never, IMO, a good idea to present to masses.

curl-6 said:

In X's first trailer, animations skipped awkwardly from one to the other without a smooth transition, and grass popped in and out at quite close range; neither of these problems were evident in footage since E3 2013. (There's still pop, but it's less aggressive)

And yeah, Prime 2 looked better than TP, but that's cos it compartmentalized its world into smaller chunks. There was no equivalent to Hyrule Field.

I strongly agree with the bolded.

There weren't any equivalents to most of TP's outdoor areas, really, MP2's environments were actually quite tiny by comparison. Hyrule Field, Lake Hylia, Gerudo Desert, the forest... those were all massive; nothing in MP2 came close. Even a lot of TP's indoor environments were much bigger in comparison, really.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046