By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Crew MetaScore : 65 ( 9 Reviews ) User Score: 5.4 ( 274 Ratings ) PS4

fatslob-:O said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

The practice is terrible because they knew that the game wouldn't be very good nor would it be very well recieved so they didn't give out any review copies until the game launched to get as many pennies as they can from all those people that pre-ordered it. As for Far Cry 4, have you seens TB's review? Like, he has sli 980s with an i7 5930X and it has consistent stuttering and he can't figure out why... A monster build like that should not have suttering like this at all, specially from a developer/publisher that has been around for decades.

How many people do you think did pre-order The Crew ? Those that do pre-order games are usually the ones at fault here since they are the ones responsible for their discontent. 

Yes, I did see TB's review but did you remember what he concluded ? He specifically said that the port was "not too shabby", in otherwords it ran just fine for the most part. Asset loading is very difficult in Far Cry 4 which can potentially lead to framerate dips but ultimately the developers at Ubisoft aren't at fault here since it's hard to overcome some PCIE bandwidth limitations ...

All in all Ubisoft has been one of the better publishers this year cause they at least brought in some new and plentiful AAA content this year compared to the likes of most Japanese publishers, Bethesda, Deep Silver, and Take-Two Interactive ... 

I hardly think that the people that like to pre-order games are the only ones at fault here if the publisher are deceptive enough to do these kinds of things. Yes, the consumer has some fault for not waiting long in order to see the full reviews of the games but it is still Ubisoft's terrible practice non the less which shouldn't go un-noticed

And yes, I am well aware of his full opinion I never said the whole game was bad nor should people not play it but I did say however that the stuttering was an issue which remains to be correct. Its not like Ubisoft didn't test these things on monster rigs and I am pretty sure the developers knew that the stuttering will be an issue with the game cause they have gaming rigs to test them on and regardless of what the limitation might be, the point of optomizing a game is to make sure they can work with the limitations and not just try to brute-force everything and stuttering is a noticable issue... You should also check out his full review on Far Cry 4 which goes into even more detail about his findings as to what the stuttering might be, its quite interesting

Also, they released 5 AAA games this year, (I believe) Far Cry 4, Asscreed Unity, The Crew, Asscreed Rogue and Watch_Dogs... Out of the 5, 3 of them had issues of some sort. Whether they be dissappointing/downgrading/poorly optomized/filled with bugs and etc, they all come from one publisher. Heck, they have been a huge problem in the past when it comes to PC games in general and this year, they are by far, the worst developer/publisher imo. And I really don't understand why people continue to defend such clearly terrible practices. Yes, other companies sometimes do the same and when they do, they won't go unnoticed either just like how Ubisoft shouldn't

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Lol

no wonder they didn't send out review copies

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Edit: And it was hardly a compensation considering people had to pay for the season pass. Oh, and yes, the season pass was $30 but people still had to pay $60 for a broken mess which is veryyyyy unacceptable... And I doubt they weren't trying to decieve anyone with Watch_Dogs or else they would have never revealed the original e3 trailer to begin with...

Nonetheless Ubisoft opted to give in free extra content of no charge when they could've just done nothing about but they aren't exactly as bad as you paint them them out to be ...

I doubt people were buying Watch Dogs for the graphics so what damage was done there anyways ? 

They released a game that had tons of frame rate issues across all platforms and it was filled with bugs and glitches... How much worse can you get from an AAA developer/publisher? And the only reason they did that was to get more guaranteed sales for their other titles since they make $36 for every $60 retail game and doing giving out digital games for $30 should make them even more money. If anything, it was a greedy tactic masked to look like it was something nice

Again, it just adds to the issues and lets not forget that the PC version had the original e3 assets inside the game files which modders found out and simply enabled them which is a rather curious and an odd case since most people that enabled the mods, including TB said that the performance hit with the original e3 textures were minimal even though Ubisoft claimed that the reason why those textures weren't enabled to begin with was due to a large performance hit. Oh and from what I heard, the game was fairly disappointing from a story and even gameplay prespective but thats subjective

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I guess this is not good. ^^

BMaker11 said:

Cause they didn't send out any review copies until the game launched which is a pretty terrible practice...

I saw a video from TotalBiscuit that changed my perspective on not releasing review copies. Not releasing review copies isn't alway bad/anti-consumer, in premise. If you release an early copy, then every game journalist, blogger, YouTuber, etc. will rush through the game as quickly as possible to be "first" in giving a review. Because people tend to look at the first reviews, well....first. That gives you all the clicks, views, and ad money. Being first gives you the highest chance of getting money, at the cost of shady reviews that don't fully explain the game because they are rush jobs. And because review copies are only given to certain reviewers, it's not an even playing field. Some random YouTube game reviewer could have just as many followers as Jim Sterling, but because Sterling is partnered with a certain dev, he gets a review copy and the random YouTuber doesn't, so Sterling will get all the views for reviews and then no one will care about the YouTuber. 

At least when there's no review copies and reviewer have to get the game at launch, they all have an equal chance at getting their review out "on time".

Some companies practice this kind of review embargo, which is ok. But, like anything else, it can be abused. Which Ubisoft has done all year.

But, I'm just saying, it's not as simple as "not sending out review copies is bad"

You do realise that, thats why companies put a review embargo on their reviews right? If you watch TB or Jim Sterling, they talk about it all the time... Essentially, the good developers/publishers would give out the review copies 1 month - 2 weeks before the game launches and give all reviewers an embargo of 3 weeks - 1 week, that way, all reviewers have 1 week to play the game at minimum and review it and when the embargo lifts, all reviewers can publish their reviews at the sametime which effectively elimates that "first come first serve" factor. And if you break the embargo, all future review copies from various publishers will not be sent to you...

Around the Network

Not surprising; the beta was horrible.

Won't be getting that then. Doh.

My 8th gen collection

I hardly think that the people that like to pre-order games are the only ones at fault here if the publisher are deceptive enough to do these kinds of things. Yes, the consumer has some fault for not waiting long in order to see the full reviews of the games but it is still Ubisoft's terrible practice non the less which shouldn't go un-noticed

Purchasing a turd goes under a consumers responsibility, NOT the publishers ... 

Customers aren't anywhere near gullible as you think they are so the fault lies with them, NOT Ubisoft ...

Final time I am going to address this ...

And yes, I am well aware of his full opinion I never said the whole game was bad nor should people not play it but I did say however that the stuttering was an issue which remains to be correct. Its not like Ubisoft didn't test these things on monster rigs and I am pretty sure the developers knew that the stuttering will be an issue with the game cause they have gaming rigs to test them on and regardless of what the limitation might be, the point of optomizing a game is to make sure they can work with the limitations and not just try to brute-force everything and stuttering is a noticable issue... You should also check out his full review on Far Cry 4 which goes into even more detail about his findings as to what the stuttering might be, its quite interesting

Your overblowing the whole stuttering issue ... That only occurs when you try to traverse the world at a high speed. Like he said, "not too shabby" ...

Also, they released 5 AAA games this year, (I believe) Far Cry 4, Asscreed Unity, The Crew, Asscreed Rogue and Watch_Dogs... Out of the 5, 3 of them had issues of some sort. Whether they be dissappointing/downgrading/poorly optomized/filled with bugs and etc, they all come from one publisher. Heck, they have been a huge problem in the past when it comes to PC games in general and this year, they are by far, the worst developer/publisher imo. And I really don't understand why people continue to defend such clearly terrible practices. Yes, other companies sometimes do the same and when they do, they won't go unnoticed either just like how Ubisoft shouldn't

Ubisoft has always held a negative interaction with PC gaming so why exactly are they just heavily damned for it now and not before on the internet ? No one's really defending Ubisoft, I'm just tired of the hate bandwagon against them going on here ... 

Haha... the rule remains true. If they dont ship review copies, its because they know they have a turd.

Purchasing a turd goes under a consumers responsibility, NOT the publishers ... 

Customers aren't anywhere near gullible as you think they are so the fault lies with them, NOT Ubisoft ...

Final time I am going to address this ...

Your overblowing the whole stuttering issue ... That only occurs when you try to traverse the world at a high speed. Like he said, "not too shabby" ...

Ubisoft has always held a negative interaction with PC gaming so why exactly are they just heavily damned for it now and not before on the internet ? No one's really defending Ubisoft, I'm just tired of the hate bandwagon against them going on here ... 

Bold: If the publisher doesn't release enough info for the consumer, I would say its the fault of both and I do think they are fairly gullible considering how many terrible games get sold each year

italic: Again, I never said the game itself is bad, all I said was that. And TB did say that "Your traveling fast, your frame rate is gonna hitch, over and over again, it consistently happens, it even happened just there as I was moving fairly normally, just sprinting around the place" 11:50. And its not like Far Cry 4 is a small game, the game is huge and you are gonna have to use cars and things a lot in order to get around. Again, as I said, the game is awesome in every way but this is certainly noticable. The port is overall great and the graphics do look pretty but the stuttering is still an issue

Underlined: If you are tired of the hate bandwagon, do what everyone else does and just ignore the posts and threads... Not very hard

Edit: Okay, underlining does not work for some reason