By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MK8 Is More 'Casual'/Easier Than MKWii

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Yep, let's pretend the bolded part don't exist!

You said: 

"Except MK7 and 8's tracks are narrower than Wii's. Good try though, well not really since track width is one of the most irrelevant things ever!"

You said your own point was irrelevant at the end.

That wasn't a point, it's fact that disproves his argument, which is what I was calling irrelevant even if he was right. I mean cmon dude I know you're smarter than this!

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Every Mk makes the tracks wider and wider. That's why mk64 is the best mk. Undenniable fact.

but in DD you can play while drinking...

at topic... i would say both are realy easy in single player.  maybe mk8 is a little bit harder, as mkwii.  but that could be just because of the superior GC controller in mkwii

Pavolink said:
Every Mk makes the tracks wider and wider. That's why mk64 is the best mk. Undenniable fact.

Didn't MK64 have the widest tracks of all? I now find it the MK that has aged the most now. However, Double Decker and Block Fort however were the ultimate battle mode arenas.

Double Dash is the definitive MK for me. 60fps even in 4 player split screen (the only one in the series) and the additional strategy added through power up management was just awesome. You could play a lot more offensive or defensive than any other MK.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

NintendoPie said:

Third... do you have any say on my actual argument?

That MK8 is easier than Wii? Not really: I rarely play Mario Kart single-player, so I don't really have an informed opinion on the matter.

I disagree, I 3 starred every course on MKwii, I haven't been able to do that on MK8.

I'm stuck on the stupid starcup

For me at least, this has been the most challenging one.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

Thank tbone and the COMG thread for my threadspiration. 

Our story starts two days after my purchase of MK8 where I easily beat the game with 3-stars on all the Cups and the Mirror Cups. This was a surprise as I had never beaten a Mario Kart game so incredibly fast, and in such short play-time. This got me thinking back to all my multiple races over and over again on the same exact courses in marginally different speeds and I think to myself, "DAMN! This game is casual!" Okay, maybe I didn't think exactly that, but you get the point.

Playing MKWii was a totally different story. Maybe you could blame it on the motion controls making the game a little iffy on some turns and jumps, but MKWii never politely nudged you off walls you hit; if you hit a wall you slowed down. MKWii never gave you a Blue Shell extinguisher; if a Blue Shell was headed your way you were either pro enough to dodge it or pro enough to take back first place. MKWii also gave you the possibility of holding more shells, meaning you had the possibility of being more ruthless to your opponents than you could in MK8.

The Wii gets shamed for being a casual console, and, in turn, it's games as well, but MK8 was dumbed down. There are other things I can mention to support my point (like Retro courses from the Wii entry being simplified. Ex. Wario's Gold Mine is much easier.) but I'll leave this up to discussion. Does anyone else notice a difficulty difference? Hell, I even notice a difference when playing MK7 versus MK8.

Oh yeah? They're BOTH casual compared to the original game. To be good and win races, the newer Mario Kart games are like 20% skill and 80% luck/items. The SNES was 80% skill and 20% luck/items. You couldn't win on the original unless you were a good racer while on the newer games, you don't even HAVE to be a good to win.

No way, MK WII is way more casual. All items in the WII game are more powerful. Mushrooms are better, blue shells are better and appear more often, stars are better. Don't know how many times in Mario Kart Wii online on a track like luigi circuit I got a golden mushroom on the last corner and went from 11th to 1st. That doesn't happen in mk8.

It's a lot easier to catch up in the Wii one when you fall behind then in 8.

Maybe the cups are easier in 8, I don't know. But the game is certainly not more casual, mk8 is much more skill based then the wii one.

prayformojo said:

Oh yeah? They're BOTH casual compared to the original game. To be good and win races, the newer Mario Kart games are like 20% skill and 80% luck/items. The SNES was 80% skill and 20% luck/items. You couldn't win on the original unless you were a good racer while on the newer games, you don't even HAVE to be a good to win.

Except you do have to be, more so in Mario Kart 8 with it's unreliable item distribution where you can get green shells in last place.

prayformojo said:

Ummm... You haven't played online have you? Vs somebody with 8k+ ranking and lets see you win with that 80% luck :-/

At least this isn't happening in the COMG thread. I was wondering why it turned into the MK thread for a bit