By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tekken on Wii U- Why did no one buy it?

Tagged games:

And this is sort of awesome too

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

I didn't buy it cause I don't like traditional fighting games. Smash and Ultimate Ninja Storm are the only ones I've liked.

Dr.Vita said:
Tekken = Playstation series
Metal Gear Solid = Playstation series
Final Fantasy = Playstation series

And the Wii U version has Tekken Ball. It's horrible that the PS3 didn't get that.. :(

I keep forgetting the Wii U version has Tekken Ball!  If I do get a Wii U, I'm getting TTT2 JUST for Tekken Ball!

I feel as though serious fighting games that are linear in the sense of 1-1 match play all of the time are pretty much as far away from the Nintendo fanbase as you can get

they dig adventure games and/or party games primarily

mountaindewslave said:
I feel as though serious fighting games that are linear in the sense of 1-1 match play all of the time are pretty much as far away from the Nintendo fanbase as you can get

they dig adventure games and/or party games primarily

Fighting games are anything but linear.  You're having to make decisions and outsmart your opponent.  You would never have the same exact fight twice.  They wouldn't be serious if they were truely linear.  Fighting games are a lot deeper to the person who's well versed in execution, frame data, and aware of the games mechanics, and the strengths and weaknesses of the characters.

That being said, it still has nothing to offer for the party crowd, unless everyone plays Tekken and can have decent level 4p.  Personally, each one of my friends play Tekken, so whenever I visit during the weekends, there's almost always 3 of them at least, plus myself.

If you're not on point, or letting them get away with unsafe tactics, they keep doing it.  When you punish, they mix it up.  I have trouble sometimes, because some attacks are safe on block, but high, so they should be ducked.  But, when someone is mixing medium attacks (which are unblockable to crouching enemies) and High attacks, in rapid succession, it gets rather difficult.

I think that it's the difficult nature of Tekken Tag 2, and lack of community which hurt the Wii U version.  Tekken 7 will be easier, but that game's not coming to Wii U.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
I'm a Tekken fan. Started on Tekken 2 in the arcade. Tekken 3 on the PS1 consumed me. Tekken Tag Tournament on the PS2 was a nice upgrade. Haven't played much since.

The Tekken on WiiU is a broken mess. There are game modes like training where there is no button to exit the training. If you're not performing the move correctly, you have to restart the game via the home menu. So many issues...I own the game and I've only put it in my WiiU twice. Not sure I ever will again.

It's just like many of us have been saying...most 3rd parties don't invest enough resources into Nintendo games. Therefore they suffer glitches, bugs, and just poor game design choices as in the example I stated above. I'm just glad I only spent $20 on the game. I read the reviews and paid accordingly.

I think you may need to step away from the crack pipe, the game is great, and although some moves are challenging that is the point of training, keep doing it until you get it right.  I believe, like in Tekkens of the past, Start + Select take you back to the home menu in the case of the Wii it is plus and minus at the same time.  Tekkens have been my favorite fighters since the days of Street Fighter (sorry smash but it is hard to take a fighter seriously after tekken when each character only has 20 to 30 moves.  In the later Tekkens each character has 100 + moves and granted some are difficcult to pull off.  I love Tag2 on the Wii U, I have a couple buddies that make me put it in the machine every time they come over (we have all been playing since the original Tekken on PS1).

because its not made by Nintendo

I disagree about too many characters and moves per character.  It's like saying there are too many different kinds of cars in the US, it should just be narrowed down to Ford or Chevy.  That's silly, if you don't care for a character then don't use them.  Part of the charm for the game to me was pulling off a move accidentally.  I would do something then get my butt kicked the rest of the match trying to pull the move off again. 

I knew it existed. But I never bought those games. Marvel VS Cap, Street Fighter, DBZ games all satisfied me.

The_Yoda said:
super_etecoon said:
I'm a Tekken fan. Started on Tekken 2 in the arcade. Tekken 3 on the PS1 consumed me. Tekken Tag Tournament on the PS2 was a nice upgrade. Haven't played much since.

The Tekken on WiiU is a broken mess. There are game modes like training where there is no button to exit the training. If you're not performing the move correctly, you have to restart the game via the home menu. So many issues...I own the game and I've only put it in my WiiU twice. Not sure I ever will again.

It's just like many of us have been saying...most 3rd parties don't invest enough resources into Nintendo games. Therefore they suffer glitches, bugs, and just poor game design choices as in the example I stated above. I'm just glad I only spent $20 on the game. I read the reviews and paid accordingly.

I think you may need to step away from the crack pipe, the game is great, and although some moves are challenging that is the point of training, keep doing it until you get it right.  I believe, like in Tekkens of the past, Start + Select take you back to the home menu in the case of the Wii it is plus and minus at the same time.  Tekkens have been my favorite fighters since the days of Street Fighter (sorry smash but it is hard to take a fighter seriously after tekken when each character only has 20 to 30 moves.  In the later Tekkens each character has 100 + moves and granted some are difficcult to pull off.  I love Tag2 on the Wii U, I have a couple buddies that make me put it in the machine every time they come over (we have all been playing since the original Tekken on PS1).

Crack-pipe comment wasn't necessary.  Although, on PS3, TTT2 had the best training mode.  You could set everything up just the way you wanted, and practice every situation.  I cannot see them messing up the training mode so bad.  You do know that you have to scroll down in the pause menu to get to the option that says "return to character select," right?

I cannot think of a single move in Tekken that's hard to pull off, outside of a properly executed EWGF, and maybe wave dashing and that's not an attack.  Outside of that, every other move in the game is easy to pull off.  It's not the number of moves each character has.  It is the usefulness of each character's attacks.  Many of which are not practical because there are better, more power options.

There are plenty of moves in tekken that'll have you thinking "Why does he have this move, when I can do this other thing instead, and leave myself in a better position?"  There are lots of attacks that outclass others in every way possible.  These useless attacks need to be removed from the game entirely.  At least when you have 20-30 moves, chances are, they have a more specific use.