By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is "Nintendo" used as a qualifier for games?

TL;DR?

white knight harder, OP 32 33.33%

what's a Nintendo 17 17.71%

I prefer Ouya games myself 17 17.71%

heard you were talkin shi... 30 31.25%

Total:96
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I think its just the amount of "Polish" that goes into their games... I dont think there is really another developer/publisher that has outputted the same number of consistently polished games as Nintendo does! Their games work at launch and their online also works at launch... There are some bugs/glitches now and then but most are minor and don't usually take away from the full game experience.

But when I say, Nintendo makes great games, I usually refer to First Party games and Second Party games and not really "Third Party" games that are published by Nintendo

This pretty muchs sums up my feelings as well.. Games like Pikmin 3 and 3D World worked flawlessly from day 1 and still haven't found any game-breaking bugs or anything like that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
the_dengle said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Most of those genres are linked though. A platformer is still a platformer whether it's 2D or 3D. Action and action/adventure games aren't much different either (can't even think what games Nintendo has even developed that could be called one of those...). The puzzle genre is also very similar to platformers. Party games are just a bit of a mix of other stuff, so hard to call that a genre of its own.

I can't imagine a more incorrect statement. Professor Layton is like a platformer? Zelda isn't much different from Bayonetta?

Generally party games refer to mini-game collections. Game & Wario, Wii Party, etc. Anything with 4-player local multiplayer could also potentially be considered a party game, not so much as a genre but in terms of an appropriate time to play them.

Professor Layton and Bayonetta aren't even Nintendo games. Sure, they are exclusive to Nintendo platforms, but they aren't developed by Nintendo, so they shouldn't be included.

Regarding party games, pretty much what I said, a mix of other stuff ie. mini games...

Then why should third party games be counted on the XB1 and PS4?

People use it in a context to describe the defining selling point of the system.

Get a Xbox ______... if you like FPS. FPS as a group are the best selling games on xbox console so its what people define the console with.

Get a Playstation _____ if you like movie based gaming. Movie type games tend to dominate the Playsattion landscape.

Get a Nintendo ______...if you like Nintendo games

the_dengle said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Most of those genres are linked though. A platformer is still a platformer whether it's 2D or 3D. Action and action/adventure games aren't much different either (can't even think what games Nintendo has even developed that could be called one of those...). The puzzle genre is also very similar to platformers. Party games are just a bit of a mix of other stuff, so hard to call that a genre of its own.

I can't imagine a more incorrect statement. Professor Layton is like a platformer? Zelda isn't much different from Bayonetta?

Generally party games refer to mini-game collections. Game & Wario, Wii Party, etc. Anything with 4-player local multiplayer could also potentially be considered a party game, not so much as a genre but in terms of an appropriate time to play them.

I can also agree with this, while many Nintendo 1st party games follow a general guidline (which I written about earlier in this thread), there are a variety of genres Nintendo offers (which I wish they would share ALL of them overseas) which stand out completely by themselves. Link is nothing like Mario, which is nothing like Marth, who is nothing like Samus, ect. The experience  the player gets from all of these games are vastly different.

Ka-pi96 said:

They shouldn't. But I've never seen anyone refer to 3rd party games on PS/XB as Sony or Microsoft games, so why should 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles be called Nintendo games?

They shouldnt. Thats the point. Nintendo consoles arent just for Nintendo games...

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Because usually games made by Nintendo are pretty similar. They have genres that they are good at and stick mostly to them, with few if any attempts at other genres and new ips.

you might want to do some research before spouting your typical downplay

Ka-pi96 said:
KLXVER said:
Ka-pi96 said:

They shouldn't. But I've never seen anyone refer to 3rd party games on PS/XB as Sony or Microsoft games, so why should 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles be called Nintendo games?

They shouldnt. Thats the point. Nintendo consoles arent just for Nintendo games...

True, but what support they have outside of Nintendo pales in comparison to the support that the PS/Xbox gets. Meaning saying Nintendo consoles are good for people that like Nintendo games is still true. If you like them you get them and some other stuff on Nintendo consoles, but if you don't like them the other stuff alone isn't worth it.

Well they have more third party exclusives(not counting indies) than the XB1 and PS4 combined, so...

Ka-pi96 said:

Professor Layton and Bayonetta aren't even Nintendo games. Sure, they are exclusive to Nintendo platforms, but they aren't developed by Nintendo, so they shouldn't be included.

Regarding party games, pretty much what I said, a mix of other stuff ie. mini games...

You said, and I quote, "The puzzle genre is also very similar to platformers." So I ask how a puzzle game (such as the Professor Layton series) in any way resembles a platformer.

Also, if people are talking about whether or not the Wii U would be a good console for them, they should ignore games that aren't explicitly developed by Nintendo? Because I have news for you, Bayonetta is far from the only Wii U game not developed by Nintendo. Smash Bros wasn't even developed by them, nor Hyrule Warriors. And where does that leave games like Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade, not developed by Nintendo's internal EAD teams but by external companies owned by Nintendo? What makes that different from Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, or Smash Bros?

You can tell me exactly what genre you consider Wii Party to be, and I will substitute that genre for the "party" genre I used. Because it sure as hell isn't any of those other genres I named.

Ka-pi96 said:
mii-gamer said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Because usually games made by Nintendo are pretty similar. They have genres that they are good at and stick mostly to them, with few if any attempts at other genres and new ips.

you might want to do some research before spouting your typical downplay

So you're saying they have done lots of attempts at genres they aren't traditionally good at then?

they've dabble at almost all genre's; with more success than other publishers. I've used this before here, here is just some of their highest rated games in each major genre. Care to find a publisher that can match that variety and quality?

2D Platformer     3D Platformer  

New Super Mario Bros 89   Super Mario Galaxy 97
New Super Mario Bros Wii 87   Super Mario Galaxy 2 97
New Super Mario bros 2 78   Super Mario Sunshine 92
New Super Mario Bros U 84   Super Mario 64 94
Donkey Kong Returns 87      

First Person Shooters     RPG  

Metroid Prime 97   Xenoblade 92
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 92   Mario & Luigi: BIS (DS) 90
Metroid Prime 3: Corruptions 90   Mario & Luigi: SSS (GBA) 90
Geist 66   Paper Mario (N64) 92
      Main Pokemon series  

Action/Adventure     Racers  

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 99   Mario Kart Super circuit 93
Zelda: Majora Mask 95   Mario Kart ds 90
Zelda: Wind Waker 96   F Zero GX 89
Zelda: Twilight Princess 96   Wave Race 64 92
Zelda: Skyward Sword 93      

Turn Based Strategy     Real Time Strategy  

Fire Emblem: Awakening 92   Pikmin 89
Advance Wars: Dual Strike 90   pikmin 2 90
Advance Wars (Gba) 92   Battalion War 76
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin 86   Battalion Wars 2 75

Sports     Puzzle  

Mario Tennis (N64) 91   Mario Vs Donker: MMA 82
Mario Golf (N64) 91   Pushmo 90
1080 Snowboarding 70   Crashmo 86
1080: Avalanche 73      

Fighters     Survival Horror  

SSB 79   eternal darkness 94
SSBM 92   Fatal Frame                   -
SSBB 93   Spirit Camera                   -

Sims     Rail shooter  

Animal Crossing 87   Starfox 64 88
Animal Crossing: Wild Word 86   Sin and punishment 2 87
Animal Crossing Wii 75   Kid Icarus Uprising (TPS)                  83

In the same way that "indie games" is now a genre.