By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is "Nintendo" used as a qualifier for games?

TL;DR?

white knight harder, OP 32 33.33%

what's a Nintendo 17 17.71%

I prefer Ouya games myself 17 17.71%

heard you were talkin shi... 30 31.25%

Total:96
Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
i dont realy like nintendo games, the typical artstyle is just meh. and the music sucked on every nintendo console.
sega looks just so much better and the soundchips are much more fancy

You know, I'm not even sure if you are serious right now.

i was a segaboy till they died.  we had a cold console war in the family, my brother was nintendofan... wasnt easy after the DC...

Alright then, let me just pick apart your post. I don't think you have listened to any of the Nintendo music. The SNES always looked better than the Genesis, and the soundchip was ahead of its time. 

no it didnt. it looked different, not realy better or worse. and the sega sound was way more funky...

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Clyde32 said:

Alright then, let me just pick apart your post. I don't think you have listened to any of the Nintendo music. The SNES always looked better than the Genesis, and the soundchip was ahead of its time. 

no it didnt. it looked different, not realy better or worse. and the sega sound was way more funky...

But Nintendo sound was higher quality. Also, the SNES was more powerful than the sega genesis. It wasn't even close thanks to the FX chips.

Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Clyde32 said:

But Nintendo sound was higher quality. Also, the SNES was more powerful than the sega genesis. It wasn't even close thanks to the FX chips.

32x?, mega cd? 

generic-user-1 said:

32x?, mega cd? 

Those were both peripherals that required you to place them atop a genesis(meaning you had to own a genesis) before you could play the games. Show me a game from the 32x.

Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
i dont realy like nintendo games, the typical artstyle is just meh. and the music sucked on every nintendo console.
sega looks just so much better and the soundchips are much more fancy

You know, I'm not even sure if you are serious right now.

i was a segaboy till they died.  we had a cold console war in the family, my brother was nintendofan... wasnt easy after the DC...

The SNES was powerful enough to emulate real instruments. The Genesis sound chip had to be played as if it was its own instrument. Two totally different things.

Around the Network

Nintendo games refers to well polished games. Nintendo games are developed by Nintendo internal studios. Until now, no other developer has enter this exclusive circle.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Basically high quality non EA / Activision games, eg games that use all the colors instead of just shades of teh ultra realisticz green and brown, have a great single player experience not sacrificed for online epeen competitive play only, are generally perfect on release because they aren't rushed to pad a fiscal statement, aren't butchered to "appeal to the widest possible audience", and well, they are games only available on Nintendo consoles.

One thing I love about Nintendo  games is they are still VIDEO GAMES and they are FUN and aren't trying to be reality simulators.  They remind me how video games used to be when they were still video games.

I'm tired of seeing "Nintendo needs to do ..." or Nintendo needs more CoD .  No, they don't.  I want an alternative for all the mainstream shovelware and investorware.

They are filling the same niche they always have, making pure video games for gamers who played or would have played video games before they were cool, manly, and socially acceptable.

the_dengle said:
Areym said:
Nintendo, as a whole, are very kid friendly on the surface.They stick to similar themes in their games and have become pretty damn good at it. They don't venture much outside of their comfort zone.

But we can see beneath the surface. This is a gaming website for people dedicated enough to that hobby to discuss it regularly with strangers. We shouldn't be so uninformed as to assume that Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mother, Pikmin, and Xenoblade are all "kid friendly" and all share similar themes.

And I think most of us are not so poorly informed, yet some choose to bundle these games together anyway.

True. We, dedicted gamers, know better. While I don't agree with Nintendo's approach to their consoles and some of their franchises, I know they are more than just mario or kid games. The Xenoblade and the fire emblems are great but they aren't very mainstream so most casual buyers/gamers wouldn't know they are nintendo affilieted games.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It's a generalisation and generalisations are always popular because it saves you from the trouble of making some actual research.

This Nintendo "genre" thing will always be a thing, right?

We reap what we sow