By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is "Nintendo" used as a qualifier for games?

TL;DR?

white knight harder, OP 32 33.33%

what's a Nintendo 17 17.71%

I prefer Ouya games myself 17 17.71%

heard you were talkin shi... 30 31.25%

Total:96

Pikmin (whatever that genre is), 

I always count it as nintendo's spin on RTS

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network
ijustlikegames:) said:
curl-6 said:
Nintendo=casual, light games that don't have a lot of story depth

Xenoblade. ;)

The exception that proves the rule, thanks:)  Besides that isn't even out yet. A vast majority of Nintendo games are games you can sit down and have a blast with for a short period of time. Nothing wrong with that, just the truth. Although Nintendo did say they wanted to win back more of the core audience so maybe we will see that change. The common perception right now though is that Nintendo is the more casual of the three, just like X1 is more for fps and competitive gaming and the PS4 is the all around go to system, no need to be upset by that.

Oh there's more exceptions than just Xenoblade, there's also Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, etc. These games are intimidating to casuals because they are not as easy or "pick-up-and-play" as Mario Kart and co.

Yes, Nintendo places a lot of emphasis on making accessible games for all ages, I don't think anyone would dispute that, but to rule that that's what defines a Nintendo game is a gross generalization.

Ka-pi96 said:
Because usually games made by Nintendo are pretty similar. They have genres that they are good at and stick mostly to them, with few if any attempts at other genres and new ips.

Yup those 80 plus new IP's since 2001 don't count

Yes ignore the term casual because you know I'm right about that. Good tactic, if you can't argue it ignore it. Anyway you're clearly just going to be super defensive if anyone says anything that you disagree with so I'm done with you.

I have seen many games called both casual and not casual by different users without ever being given a standard, generally accepted definition for the term. If you cannot explain what you mean by "casual" then I have no reason to take its use seriously.

Regardless, I provided several examples of games I do not consider casual. (I don't consider any games casual because it's an undefined word, but for the sake of argument I can blindly grasp at its meaning during discussions such as these). Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda, Mother, and Pikmin are not casual (in my opinion, and since 'casualness' seems to be subjective that's all I can offer), and they all have stories of varying depth, all of them more than deep enough to support my point.

FayeC said:

Let me clarify. By highlight, I'm not talking about games that get appropriated more marketing money, im talking about games that reach the market at all.  The games Nintendo determines worthy of release vs those not worthy of release. That is a act of critique all Nintendo games face no matter who developed them. That critsism is something you can be drawn to or something you can shun and disagree with.

A person liking any Nintendo game is going to depend on how compatible they are with Nintendo's own tastes. Bayonetta 2 and DKC:TP might not have much in common, but both were greenlighted by Nintendo.

I'm not sure I do agree with you if you feel its unreasonable for a person to say they dislike Nintendo games as a whole. You should be concered with what Nintendo chooses to highlight because its only from those games that you can choose from, capable as you may be. You'll likely never get a chance to play what they thought wasn't worthy of release.

Oh I got it, you mean the games Nintendo chooses to fund. But that is no different. Then you are saying that "Nintendo" games are literally all games published (and therefore funded) by Nintendo, which, again, is like saying all books published by Random House or all films produced by 20th Century Fox. It simply doesn't make sense to group them that way.

Bayo 2 and DKC are proof of that, as you said yourself they have little in common aside from being funded by Nintendo. What common reason would someone have for disliking (or liking) both of them? They are as different as two games can be.

I mean, if someone admitted to liking both purely because they are published by Nintendo, wouldn't that be an admission of bias? That having Nintendo's logo on a product automatically makes it attractive to them? The opposite must also be true, if you dislike a game purely because it has Nintendo's logo on it, you dislike Nintendo for the sake of disliking Nintendo, and not based on any of their games' qualities.

the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:
Nintendo=casual, light games that don't have a lot of story depth

Xenoblade. ;)

The exception that proves the rule, thanks:)  Besides that isn't even out yet. A vast majority of Nintendo games are games you can sit down and have a blast with for a short period of time. Nothing wrong with that, just the truth. Although Nintendo did say they wanted to win back more of the core audience so maybe we will see that change. The common perception right now though is that Nintendo is the more casual of the three, just like X1 is more for fps and competitive gaming and the PS4 is the all around go to system, no need to be upset by that.

There are enough exceptions to disprove your rule, and Xenoblade in fact came out several years ago. Fire Emblem is a casual game without much story depth? Metroid? Zelda? Kid Icarus? Pikmin? Mother?

Casual is an undefined term which I will ignore. "Light" is also not a term I'm familiar with with regards to defining video games, maybe you can help me out with that one. If lacking story depth makes a game a Nintendo game, damn son, why didn't anyone tell me Nintendo had gone third-party? There are so many Nintendo games on non-Nintendo systems it's blowing my mind.

Yes ignore the term casual because you know I'm right about that. Good tactic, if you can't argue it ignore it. Anyway you're clearly just going to be super defensive if anyone says anything that you disagree with so I'm done with you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvKwkv8_V0o&list=UUs0AqQc_0sxwqJROHuJeEpg

Around the Network

Nintendo, as a whole, are very kid friendly on the surface.They stick to similar themes in their games and have become pretty damn good at it. They don't venture much outside of their comfort zone.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

FayeC said:
the_dengle said:

I still wouldn't get it! Those are three drastically different franchises. Hell, the Zelda series alone offers a wide variety of experiences. There are plenty of fans who love certain entries but won't touch others. That goes for Mario, too, which is one of the most varied IP in the industry. Even different entries from the same studio differ greatly from one another -- 3D World and Captain Toad?

You see! You're looking at the situation from way to discerning a position. To you, 2D Mario is differenent than 3D Mario. OoT is fundamentally different than ALBW, but you aren't looking at if from the position of someone who has no interest in the elements common to both.

This supports my conclusion that such generalizations should only be made by people who are poorly informed on the matter at hand. I don't see how recognizing a drastic difference between Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds is "too discerning." Even an Xbox fan can tell the difference between a 2D game and a 3D game.

Users here should be informed enough to know that New Super Mario Bros and Fire Emblem have little or nothing in common. So why are they grouped together when discussing gaming preferences?

Is there any word or phrase you could replace "Nintendo" with that would make me understand that you are referring to Mario, Fire Emblem, and Metroid in the phrase "The Wii U is great if you like Nintendo games" or "I don't like Nintendo games"?

Areym said:
Nintendo, as a whole, are very kid friendly on the surface.They stick to similar themes in their games and have become pretty damn good at it. They don't venture much outside of their comfort zone.

But we can see beneath the surface. This is a gaming website for people dedicated enough to that hobby to discuss it regularly with strangers. We shouldn't be so uninformed as to assume that Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mother, Pikmin, and Xenoblade are all "kid friendly" and all share similar themes.

And I think most of us are not so poorly informed, yet some choose to bundle these games together anyway.

i dont realy like nintendo games, the typical artstyle is just meh. and the music sucked on every nintendo console.
sega looks just so much better and the soundchips are much more fancy

the_dengle said:

There are enough exceptions to disprove your rule, and Xenoblade in fact came out several years ago. Fire Emblem is a casual game without much story depth? Metroid? Zelda? Kid Icarus? Pikmin? Mother?

Casual is an undefined term which I will ignore. "Light" is also not a term I'm familiar with with regards to defining video games, maybe you can help me out with that one. If lacking story depth makes a game a Nintendo game, damn son, why didn't anyone tell me Nintendo had gone third-party? There are so many Nintendo games on non-Nintendo systems it's blowing my mind.

Alright then, care to define 'casual'? He may have ignored the term, but you ignored his argument. Further proving his point.