By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is "Nintendo" used as a qualifier for games?

TL;DR?

white knight harder, OP 32 33.33%

what's a Nintendo 17 17.71%

I prefer Ouya games myself 17 17.71%

heard you were talkin shi... 30 31.25%

Total:96
generic-user-1 said:
i dont realy like nintendo games, the typical artstyle is just meh. and the music sucked on every nintendo console.
sega looks just so much better and the soundchips are much more fancy

You know, I'm not even sure if you are serious right now.

Around the Network

I see there is a lot of white-knighting going on without me.

the_dengle said:
Areym said:
Nintendo, as a whole, are very kid friendly on the surface.They stick to similar themes in their games and have become pretty damn good at it. They don't venture much outside of their comfort zone.

But we can see beneath the surface. This is a gaming website for people dedicated enough to that hobby to discuss it regularly with strangers. We shouldn't be so uninformed as to assume that Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mother, Pikmin, and Xenoblade are all "kid friendly" and all share similar themes.

And I think most of us are not so poorly informed, yet some choose to bundle these games together anyway.

Not all people on this site would know all the varieties of games Nintendo does.if they weren't interested I don't think they will go out of their way to know all the franchises they can't play without a Nintendo system.You yourself on the op can't distinguish Activision EA and Ubisoft yet they all have a wide variety of games that could be said to be just as far as your example for Nintendo. Why hold other uses to a standard about one gaming company when you can't meet them for the biggest 3 3rd party publishers and developers

It's the impression stuck in many peoples heads it's all the same. Couldn't count the times friends go "meh" when I mention a Nintendo console and its games as fun things. Weirdly these consoles are the most played on friend weekends and deliver the most "fun".

Usually they adapt their opinion during play sessions but these opinion shifts don't seem to stick for long and next year it's SSDD at the "meh" reactions.

For all the things Nintendo tries and changes in new iterations in franchises they get the least credit while CoDs, FIFA's etc go like hot cakes.

Mr Khan said:

And yet people yell at me when i try to typecast AAA games.

Which would be an equallly silly thing to do ;)

the_dengle said:

There are enough exceptions to disprove your rule, and Xenoblade in fact came out several years ago. Fire Emblem is a casual game without much story depth? Metroid? Zelda? Kid Icarus? Pikmin?

I realise the point you're making here, but I wouldn't say Pikmin had any amount of story depth.

Around the Network

Quite funny that people accept to say "Nintendo games" when affering quality, polish, gameplay, focus, etc but don't accept the generalization for other things.

You are just overcomplicating your analysis. People say "WiiU is good if you like Nintendo games" just because you will have basically games done by Nintendo and almost no 3rd party in comparison to ps4/x1. Like someone could say buy ps4/x1 if you don't mind missing Nintendo.
sales on the platform prove it, games not made by Nintendo sell quite low, if not published by them you have an even worse situation. Could it be more simple?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Also all company have some kind of police or mentality. So not liking some company games can be a reflection of what that company do not meeting your desires.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

the_dengle said:
FayeC said:
the_dengle said:

I still wouldn't get it! Those are three drastically different franchises. Hell, the Zelda series alone offers a wide variety of experiences. There are plenty of fans who love certain entries but won't touch others. That goes for Mario, too, which is one of the most varied IP in the industry. Even different entries from the same studio differ greatly from one another -- 3D World and Captain Toad?

You see! You're looking at the situation from way to discerning a position. To you, 2D Mario is differenent than 3D Mario. OoT is fundamentally different than ALBW, but you aren't looking at if from the position of someone who has no interest in the elements common to both.

This supports my conclusion that such generalizations should only be made by people who are poorly informed on the matter at hand. I don't see how recognizing a drastic difference between Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds is "too discerning." Even an Xbox fan can tell the difference between a 2D game and a 3D game.

Users here should be informed enough to know that New Super Mario Bros and Fire Emblem have little or nothing in common. So why are they grouped together when discussing gaming preferences?

Is there any word or phrase you could replace "Nintendo" with that would make me understand that you are referring to Mario, Fire Emblem, and Metroid in the phrase "The Wii U is great if you like Nintendo games" or "I don't like Nintendo games"?

I'm still not seeing how that supports your point of view. "Even an Xbox fan" can tell the difference between a 3D game and a 2D game, and they are also more than qualified to decided if they don't care for the mechanics, themes, and values that a 3D game and a 2D game share. I don't see how being poorly informed had anything to do with it. I can agree that 2D Mario and 3D Mario have differences, but im sure you would agree there are many things common to both. If a person does not care for many of those concepts then its certainly fair for them to say they don't like all Mario games. 2D and 3D alike.

New Super Mario and Fire Emblem do have something very important in common. Both games were allowed approval to leave the conceptual, preproduction, and development stages to be published to market. They all passed the same Nintendo "Stress test" as it were. If you don't agree with the values they use to make that decision, then there is a good chance you aren't going to like either game the same way you might not like either of the last two songs the DJ played. The DJ had nothing to do with these song's creation, buts its his decerning taste that determines if a song reaches your ears or not.  

So, a person who does not value the DJ as a connoisseur of music, is not unlike some one who does not value Nintendo as a connoisseur of games. Which is not unlike some one choosing to not listen to Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh because they do not veiw them as a connoisseur or expert on politics. Are there not some people who might listen to some of the DJ's selections? or like some Nintendo games? or learn toward Beck on some opinions? Sure, but that doesn't mean that those who simply refuse to aknowlege them as an authority on the matter are being silly or unreasonable, they are just being descerning 

Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:
i dont realy like nintendo games, the typical artstyle is just meh. and the music sucked on every nintendo console.

i was a segaboy till they died.  we had a cold console war in the family, my brother was nintendofan... wasnt easy after the DC...

generic-user-1 said:
Clyde32 said:
generic-user-1 said:

i was a segaboy till they died.  we had a cold console war in the family, my brother was nintendofan... wasnt easy after the DC...

Alright then, let me just pick apart your post. I don't think you have listened to any of the Nintendo music. The SNES always looked better than the Genesis, and the soundchip was ahead of its time.