By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

The Ghost of RubangB said:

The way I rate a game's graphics (or any other element) is how they help or hurt the gameplay. Do they make the whole gaming experience smooth or rough? Do they add to the story and excitement and immersion and overall fun factor or do they get in the way? Sometimes a game can look great but crappy camera work makes you focus on the beautiful backgrounds instead of your damn character and it ruins the gameplay. It's the same with movies. You don't say a movie looks like shit just 'cuz it's in black and white or has some handheld camera work. I'd like to see a really nice black and white oldschool horror video game. Each story has different needs that can be met in many different ways, so I'd say they (both games and movies) need to be rated using a case by case method.

This is art people. We don't need to count pixels. You don't walk into the Louvre and complain that the Mona Lisa only has 3 colors. (I've done this and had my ass swiftly handed to me by some DaVinci-fanboys.)

Regarding Brawl, the gameplay is so damn fun that the graphics are completely irrelevant. That aside, the graphics ARE amazing. The character models are the best these characters have EVER looked ever, and the animations are smooth as hell even with a million Excitebikes and Pokemanz all over the screen. Ridiculous detail was put into the stages this time around, and now even a boring-ass level like Final Destination is completely stunning due to the amazing background animations. I almost want to stop and admire the beauty and see where Sakurai's team is taking me next. But sadly, I'm surrounded by bloodthirsty Pikmin who will stop at nothing to eat my soul. And there's a short big-nosed spaceman who can pick them out of the ground as fast as I can kill them. And as if that wasn't distracting enough, there's a fat guy who smells like garlic driving a motorcycle right at me while farting all over the place, some dude hiding in a box talking about eating dinosaurs, and there's a fox in a giant tank rolling right at me. If that's not art, I don't know what is.

I'm also self-bumping this to the new page because I want to see if anybody wants to tackle my high art argument.

Around the Network

Meh. 8.5 for graphics is a bit low, but it's not like the score is an average anyway. The Wii having less horsepower than the other consoles makes it hard to judge graphics with a single scale, and IGN's approach seems to be to consistently giving Wii games lower scores in graphics. This lets Wii owners compare the graphics of Wii games to each others, keeps the online penises of HD console owners from going flaccid, and doesn't screw the overall scores of Wii games, since again the final score isn't an average.

Probably not the way I'd do it, but still far from the worst approach to take.

I'm not sure what to say about their chief complaint, the overwhelming feeling of "there could have been a bit more of this and that". I've been feeling the same way lately, especially since the hype is dying down, but the game is still months away from Europe.

There are so many awesome things Sakurai could've added, like more than two third party characters, and more importantly numerous ways in which he could've gotten more awesome out of the same amount of work.

ROB rather than Midna? Bah!
Another semi-clone is ok, but why make a second one of Fox?

Brawl still looks like it'll be my GOTY 2008, and I'll probably forget everything negative about it when I finally get my hands on the concentrated chunk of win, but for now I'm suffering from "oh I wish that was included too" blues.

Is it a ridiculous complaint? Absolutely!
Does aknowledging that make it go away? I wish it would!

Parokki said:
Meh. 8.5 for graphics is a bit low, but it's not like the score is an average anyway. The Wii having less horsepower than the other consoles makes it hard to judge graphics with a single scale, and IGN's approach seems to be to consistently giving Wii games lower scores in graphics. This lets Wii owners compare the graphics of Wii games to each others, keeps the online penises of HD console owners from going flaccid, and doesn't screw the overall scores of Wii games, since again the final score isn't an average.

Probably not the way I'd do it, but still far from the worst approach to take.

I'm not sure what to say about their chief complaint, the overwhelming feeling of "there could have been a bit more of this and that". I've been feeling the same way lately, especially since the hype is dying down, but the game is still months away from Europe.

There are so many awesome things Sakurai could've added, like more than two third party characters, and more importantly numerous ways in which he could've gotten more awesome out of the same amount of work.

ROB rather than Midna? Bah!
Another semi-clone is ok, but why make a second one of Fox?

Brawl still looks like it'll be my GOTY 2008, and I'll probably forget everything negative about it when I finally get my hands on the concentrated chunk of win, but for now I'm suffering from "oh I wish that was included too" blues.

Is it a ridiculous complaint? Absolutely!
Does aknowledging that make it go away? I wish it would!

I thought they were permanently flaccid, and that's why they needed HD and guaranteed higher review scores even when their games suck?  Zing zam Zoom!

The score they gave the game seems about right, although I am a little disappointed that they gave graphics a 8.5, but other than that it seems to be right on target. Too bad they said that the Subspace Emissary was considered its weakest point though... but for an extra it seems pretty good to me.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

8.5 GRAPHICS! NO SALE NINTENDO!

Yeah, right. lol 

Around the Network

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I'm going to remake that shot with Donkey Kong and Squirtle high fiving in the middle of one of the smart bombs from Star Fox. Those things have some real kick.

Just to respond to the large group of dumb bastards who "agree with the graphics score."

You guys are obviously Wii-hating fanboys. The review said the game got that score because it looked like slightly upgraded Melee characters, or something along those lines, and that's all we got, instead of a real explination.

When the best looking game on a console only gets an 8.5, then that indicates a mistake in the review process, be it reviewer bias, or incompitence.

The reason for the Melee to Brawl comparisons in this topic is to show how huge the difference actually is, and why their reasoning is so retarded.

Know the facts before you post, instead of incessantly trolling the latest Wii game that's better than anything on the PS3, so far.

And yes, I own a PS3, and we need some freakin' games like this on the system, I don't care how much you deny it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I knew PS3 owners didn't have to have their heads in their asses! For some it's a choice I guess. Haha, I kid, I kid. I'm no longer on the Nintendo Defense Force. I'm now on the Brawl Defense Force.

Yeah, the Wii's got lots of problems. But Brawl sure as shit ain't one of 'em!

Some great in game shots taken with Brawl's screenshot tool (Rubang found these).

Zenfolder, for the last time stop insulting people.  Next time you do it I'm banning you for a week.  You've been warned repeatedly and given short bans.  Stop doing it.  Discuss things civily.