By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

Wow I didn't realize how much better Brawl was compare to Melee graphics .

Around the Network

i hate to tell u guys but there was no nitpicking. It was reviewed by the nintendo staff who love the wii. and a 9.5 is a great score the same they gave halo 3 and bioshock and SMG are 9.7 so it is up there with the best of this gen. and of course it is ok to give it an 8.5 on graphics because they go by the standards of today and brawl didn't have the greatest graphics around

thats a good score.

"the nintendo staff who love the wii"...ook then.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

naznatips said:
windbane said:
Btw, I love how they gave the game a 9.5 but you guys are annoyed that they gave the graphics a lower score than you want. How about you play the game before you judge? On second thought, that probably wouldn't make a difference...

I've played the game for more than 6 hours on the import copy of a friend... I love how you assume no one here knows what they are talking about.

more:

And no, the screenshots don't even come close to doing it justice after you've played it on a 42" Plasma. 

can i come over sometime? i'll bring snacks.

Around the Network

dante.. I put forward the same question I asked DMeisterJ.

My input on things, is that reviewers are finding it harder to score games. It's onlygoing to get harder to justify games scores as the gaming industry gets older. The more games we have to compare, the more awkward positions reviewers are going to get when they give a game a certain score. Obviously they cannot change a previous ranking in a franchise to make a relative consistency so I guess we'll have to deal with this.

I suppose this is an advantage of reviews out of 5 as they do not need to go into such detail on the scoring. I still would prefer reviews that had no numerical ranking system, regardless of the negative implications.

tastyshovelware said:

No. >_>

Actually it was sort of a limited time thing anyway. A couple weeks ago I was given 2 days basically to play the game for a few hours each day. A friend of a friend was in town for a short time with his copy and mod'd Wii, and he was looking for people to play against. So he told his friend who happened to also be my friend and I got to play. I actually posted detailed impressions of the characters I used in the Brawl thread after that.

Well, the standardation is off, but like I said. The game still got a nice review. IGN has always been off on standardation, which is why the review score is not an average. If so, then people would go off because they're more lax with their numbers than most.

RolStoppable said:
naznatips said:
I'm just complaining about the lack of standardization. Not the score of the game itself. I have no doubt that the game will not be scored precisely to my tastes... it's ridiculous to assume that any game would ever get all the scores that you agreed with. I just want the site to show some consistency in their review system. Why is that so much to ask?

Because it's videogame journalism.

Damn.  You're both right.  It stings.

IGN can give out whatever numbers they want.  The problem is that that's exactly what they do, and there's no consistency.  It's as if they roll chicken bones or something.

naznatips said:
tastyshovelware said:

No. >_>

Actually it was sort of a limited time thing anyway. A couple weeks ago I was given 2 days basically to play the game for a few hours each day. A friend of a friend was in town for a short time with his copy and mod'd Wii, and he was looking for people to play against. So he told his friend who happened to also be my friend and I got to play. I actually posted detailed impressions of the characters I used in the Brawl thread after that.

NO!? what arrogant snack rejection!

haha. cool story though.