By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OG PS1 themed PS4 releasing!

kowenicki said:
Sony are cleverly riding the hype of the PS4 at the mo. Charging more for a standard console and charging up to $90 for entry to an event for fans.... Dont blame them, I'd do the same.

Tickets aren't very expensive for a trade show like that and this is not a "standard" console.  It's a collector's edition that there will be just over 12,000 of out of already 15m PS4s in the wild.  Also they included the camera and vertical stand so it's really only $40 more than everything together would be for a normal console.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

EDIT: Someone already answered. Rock On!

Hmm, pie.

kowenicki said:

It isnt a trade show, its a "community event for fans"... but anyhow I think you just agreed with me.  I wasnt criticizing, far from it. I'm glad they are monetising their fanbase, its about time.

This is just for marketing, it's not monetising.  Think about the numbers.  Just 12,300 consoles selling for $100 more is just $1.23 Million.  Doesn't pay for the costs involved in producing and selling an exclusive console.

Likewise a few thousand people paying $90 to attend PSX is peanuts.  That's a gate keeper to make sure the attendees are actually interested in PlayStation and not broke.

All this PSX and special edition console is for marketing, as there will be tons of articles, videos and blogs written about these.

My 8th gen collection

Holy cows! Just noticed that 20th Ann. limited edition PS4 has the iconic triangle square ex and circle in tiny ghost image all over it. I seriously thought the thing was just plain good looking grey console to match the original PS, but from the close up in that youtube video... I was blown away. Nicely done tricking me. Want it even more now, thanks.

RidingMower said:
Holy cows! Just noticed that 20th Ann. limited edition PS4 has the iconic triangle square ex and circle in tiny ghost image all over it. I seriously thought the thing was just plain good looking grey console to match the original PS, but from the close up in that youtube video... I was blown away. Nicely done tricking me. Want it even more now, thanks.

Yep, it has "2 O X Square Triangle" embossed all over it.

Apparently they will be available for pre-order on Saturday 6th.  I am definitely going to try to get one.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

How would one buy these? Where, when?

With no top loading hatch, it doesn't remind me of my PS1 at all.

After noticing all the little details, in the design, I really like that. (Even the box it sits in) I thought it was just a plain gray PS4, The only thing I think they should have changed was changing the Blue LED lighting to a Green one to match the PS1 power light. Otherwise, really nice.

I wonder how many employees got one first, and how many were left for everyone else.

Fusioncode said:

I love Andrew's expression. Hes like "Yes.... Let the nostalgia flow through you."

It's a jewel, and I loved so much PSX.   But can't buy it :(  I would love to have, but I already have one.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.