By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OG PS1 themed PS4 releasing!

Very nice throwback to the PS1. Shame they're only making such a limited number :(

Around the Network
fory77 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

It better start up with the old PS1 sound.

And it should be able to play PS1 games! Heck, Sony should just make a PS4 that plays all PS1/2/3 games. That woud make me want it even more.

And it would cost $700 at least probably.  PS2 chips and the cell would be costly to throw in.  It would be big, expensive, and probably hot.  Maybe it could work but it would take an awful lot of R&D to have them all work well in one box and there's simply no way to get costs TOO low

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
fory77 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

And it should be able to play PS1 games! Heck, Sony should just make a PS4 that plays all PS1/2/3 games. That woud make me want it even more.

And it would cost $700 at least probably.  PS2 chips and the cell would be costly to throw in.  It would be big, expensive, and probably hot.  Maybe it could work but it would take an awful lot of R&D to have them all work well in one box and there's simply no way to get costs TOO low

Damn! I knew it was expensive and hard, but not that expensive and hard.

fory77 said:
platformmaster918 said:
fory77 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Damn! I knew it was expensive and hard, but not that expensive and hard.

I mean I'm not claiming to be an expert on computer hardware and PS1 should be relatively simple as the slim PS3 has shown

Just think about when they took PS2 chips out of PS3 and it lowered the cost $100.  Now think that PS3 is still $200 at least though with the HDD already in there and just the cell basically needed it would probably be closer to $100.  however to make 4 different gens work in one box and integrate them all onto one motherboard and prevent overheating they would probably need a big box (look at how big the super slim PS3 still is and that's without PS2 stuff in there).  Now many who know much more than me claim PS4 can emulate PS2 games so it may be closer to $600 but I just feel that all that stuff in one is going to take a lot to fit in one box.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Damn, I want one. I guess these will be resold for a lot.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:

I mean I'm not claiming to be an expert on computer hardware and PS1 should be relatively simple as the slim PS3 has shown

Just think about when they took PS2 chips out of PS3 and it lowered the cost $100.  Now think that PS3 is still $200 at least though with the HDD already in there and just the cell basically needed it would probably be closer to $100.  however to make 4 different gens work in one box and integrate them all onto one motherboard and prevent overheating they would probably need a big box (look at how big the super slim PS3 still is and that's without PS2 stuff in there).  Now many who know much more than me claim PS4 can emulate PS2 games so it may be closer to $600 but I just feel that all that stuff in one is going to take a lot to fit in one box.

Yep. Emulating PS1/PS2 in software would be awesome and 100% doable on PS4 with only moderate work.

PS3 would be virtually impossible without additional hardware though. It would probably take an extra $60ish in BOM cost to do so at present (no need to duplicate ODD/HDD, but you'd definitely need the CPU, along with considerations for ram timing, and almost certainly the GPU as well considering how to-the-metal they coded to the Nvidia arch). That's not counting the huge expenses in running a new SKU.

Basically that online streaming variant is the best we will ever see other than remasters. Best case : keep a PS3 around.

As for the probability of them releasing PS1/PS2 mode for PS4, it would be awesome and super doable, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd put odds at less than 50/50.

Ah well, if you have a USB 360 pad and a PC, you can get hardcore awesome PS1/PS2 emulation already. Just run it, plop your disc in the drive, and away you go.

Arkaign said:

Yep. Emulating PS1/PS2 in software would be awesome and 100% doable on PS4 with only moderate work.

PS3 would be virtually impossible without additional hardware though. It would probably take an extra $60ish in BOM cost to do so at present (no need to duplicate ODD/HDD, but you'd definitely need the CPU, along with considerations for ram timing, and almost certainly the GPU as well considering how to-the-metal they coded to the Nvidia arch). That's not counting the huge expenses in running a new SKU.

Basically that online streaming variant is the best we will ever see other than remasters. Best case : keep a PS3 around.

As for the probability of them releasing PS1/PS2 mode for PS4, it would be awesome and super doable, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd put odds at less than 50/50.

Ah well, if you have a USB 360 pad and a PC, you can get hardcore awesome PS1/PS2 emulation already. Just run it, plop your disc in the drive, and away you go.

Fuck the 360 Controller, I use my DualShock 4 with custom light bar colours =D

i want one so MUCH!

fory77 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

A software emulation for PS1 and 2 is totally possible but i don't know about PS3 though.Maybe without any resolution/AA options?

Hiku said:
Fusioncode said: .

Put this video in the OP please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iIxCksnR9Y

Fusioncode said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Oh that's cool, will this actually make its way to North America or will this be Japan only like always?

They're selling them at the PSX. Apparantly it's very limited so probably not going to be in stores. I just want the controller. 

According to Playstation's Twitter account, "Availability details coming this Saturday at PSExperience"

We already know that there will be 500 available in France (in only one shop in Paris).

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/47269-ps4-20th-anniversary-edition-comment-se-la-procurer-en-franc