By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 did NOT make a comeback.

Sony lost billions trying to keep the PS3 from losing market share. But they lost that market share anyway and have nothing to show for it. Sony probably should have sold the PS3 for $700 or $800 and even then they would still have been taking massive losses. But they wouldn't have lost nearly as much as they did.

I'm pretty sure that if we could ask Sony today if they would have launched the PS3 the way it was and they would say no. It just wasn't profitable.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:

There was no comeback in terms of sales. If anything it was a PR comeback.

In 2007 (year after launch), the PS3 outsold the 360

In 2008 the PS3 Lost by 700k units (equal to PS4 Sales week ending 22nd November)

In 2009 the PS3 outsold the 360

In 2010 the PS3 outsold the 360

In 2011 the PS3 outsold the 360

In 2012 the PS3 outsold the 360

In 2013.....

In 2014.....

The Xbox One can't really do a 'PS3' considering the PS3 never did a 'PS3' (On some level that sentance makes sense)

Yep, PS3 sold better than 360 every year apart from 2008.  The problem was the Media, playing down PS3 all the time and the usual MS PR all the time.

PS3 needed a lot of time to outsell 360 in the Global because 360 was doing so good in NA and also PS3 was released 1 full year later in NA/Jap and 16 months later in Europe, and was so expensive.  Considering all this, PS3 did so much better than 360 in the Global, but the problem was PS3 came after PS2, the console which dominated its generation.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

tiffac said:
Of course the PS3 did a comeback, just like the X1 is doing right now but only in the US & UK and that's alright because it will bring back balance in the console gaming world.

Nope. Totally different situation. 1) X1 is now strong because of Holidays Fire sales, and only in UK and NA. You have to wait and see if this will be maintained after the Holiday Season. 2) PS3 sold better than 360 every year, count them(7 years), apart from 2008(1 year). The problem was that PS3 was released 1 full year later in NA/Jap and 16 months later in Europe, and many people didn't even notice that.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I and others have tried to tell people here this for awhile. Especially last year when every other day it seemed there were threads about how PS3 had passed the 360. No wait now it did. Or no, now it really did. Ok I'm sure it did now. But they all talked about this horrific start for PS3 and this amazing comeback... but aligned at launch, that "horrific" first PS3 year was still better than 360's.

It's a comeback if you launch together and start losing (and then turn things around and "come back"). It's not a comeback if you launch a year later and start catching up right from the start.

Thank you. Something we can agree on.

This is not a hard concept to understand, people. Nobody is ever saying the Wii made a "comeback" against the 360 or PS2 against the Dreamcast.

Very well said, I've never thought of it that way. I always said the same PS3 never had to do a PS3 because it never really was behind in sales. But you have really given me some perspective on the matter today. 

Thank you good Sir!

Around the Network

Yes, you are right, the PS3 was never outsold (on a yearly basis) by the xbox 360, this reminds me an argument I had with an "avid" 360 fan a while ago, he kept telling me that the 360 somehow "won"... then I asked him how come the following was true (and easily verifiable):

1 - The XB360 sold more or less 5 million conoles in its first year... great

2 - The PS3 then (around 2012) had almost the same number of units sold

3 - Multi platform titles sold about the same on both (with some series doing better on one, some doing better on the other obviously... still)

How could the PS3 be outsold on a constant basis if they catched up to a 5+ million units deficit 6 years after it was launched...

We never discussed console sales again!

The XB1 has not been in front in sales, unless you only look at some very specific territories, but this remains a local thing, globally PS4 is still largely on top and it may very well regain momentum in the US and UK... who knows? MS are very agressive in their strategy...

PS3 got outsold in the US during the entirety of its lifetime. Yeah it do dominated a bunch of third world countries in Europe, Asia and South America, but the numbers that really matter are the ones in the US.

Look at the sales before and after the realease of PS3 slim and price cut to 399 in late 2009. I'd call it a comeback regardless of outselling the Xbox 360:

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

contestgamer said:
PS3 got outsold in the US during the entirety of its lifetime. Yeah it do dominated a bunch of third world countries in Europe, Asia and South America, but the numbers that really matter are the ones in the US.

The numbers that actually matter are worldwide, and PS3 outsold Xbox 360 in more 1st world countries than the other way around.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

PS3 is a beast. :P