By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 did NOT make a comeback.

GribbleGrunger said:
So let me get this straight: The PS3 was over 5 million behind and either drew level or just got ahead, which means they never made a comeback, but the XB1 is currently still falling behind is 7 million adrift but IS making a comeback. This is sometimes a very confusing forum.

HA HA! xD

If you're confused, just nod and smile. Like this:

WhiteEaglePL said:
The XBOX ONE could end up somehow outselling PS4 by the end of the gen.

Even though you're like..

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
ps3 still a major format in europe that is doing very well.

That.

Also support will still be strong in 2015 (from third parties though)

Of course there was a comeback, PS3 launched 6M behind 360, then went on to outsell it. It's literally the definition of a comeback.

There was a comeback. X1 doesn't have the brand power and recognition in most of the world to pull a comeback like PS3 did.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

kirby007 said:
the playstation is just like apple a solid brand

don't insult Playstation like that.  Playstation doesn't rely on their brand to sell the same thing every year.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

25M xbox VS 155M PS2
83M xbox360 VS 83M PS3
From 1-6 to 1-1, xbox360 did make a magnificent come back!

mymuro said:
25M xbox VS 155M PS2
83M xbox360 VS 83M PS3
From 1-6 to 1-1, xbox360 did make a magnificent come back!

Looking at it like that, it becomes clear that it took Microsoft two entire console generations to sell as much as the original PlayStation.

The results of being an American centric console though without worldwide appeal I suppose.

Also interesting in just a few short months the ps4 will have already outsold the original Xbox's Ltd after just being out for barely over a year. 

I and others have tried to tell people here this for awhile. Especially last year when every other day it seemed there were threads about how PS3 had passed the 360. No wait now it did. Or no, now it really did. Ok I'm sure it did now. But they all talked about this horrific start for PS3 and this amazing comeback... but aligned at launch, that "horrific" first PS3 year was still better than 360's.

It's a comeback if you launch together and start losing. It's not a comeback if you launch a year later and start catching up right from the start.

Of course the PS3 did a comeback, just like the X1 is doing right now but only in the US & UK and that's alright because it will bring back balance in the console gaming world.

WolfpackN64 said:
The PS3 never did bad, but Sony lost A LOT of ground to Microsoft and Nintendo in the 7th generation.

Yup. They lost in the "West" (Europe and US combined) by a good margin. Still amazing considering how expensive it was in the beginning.