By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Reading posts in this thread makes me think how games will look on PS5 at launch. I mean, Sony ones, because third parties are usually lazy at the beginning of the generation. Just look at future games like Ghost of Tsushima... they look near-perfect. I think it will be glorious.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Intrinsic said: 

I think even the base PS4 had a seperate pool of DDR3 ram. Though i think it was like 256MB or something like that. So really what we saw in the PS4pro is just a progression of that. It really comes down to what they intend to do with the system OS. If for some reason they decide to have as much as 8GB of system Ram, then in that case it would make more sense going for LPDDR4 ram as a seperate ram dedicated to the OS leaving the 16GB/20GB of GDDR6 ram untouched for games.

I thought PS4 was solely GDDR5. That would make more sense why Pro went that route then. Would also make me think a separate 4GB of DDR4 might be more likely in PS5. You learn something new everyday. I would think 16GB for GPU would be a definite, maybe 20GB. 24GB + 4GB seems too much.

Intrinsic said: 

Well, Right now a 240GB SSD costs around $70 at retail. In 2020 it would probably cost around $50 at retail and for sony, soldering nand chips onto their MB (which costs even less than bulk ordering SSD drives) it would most likely cost them significantly less. So they could be spending like $20 or so for 200-256GB worth of nand flash storage. Another $20 for a 1/2TB mechanical drive. So its doable. 

Or the could spend like $40/$50 on what would amount to around 840GB/1TB of on board nand flash storage and forgo the mechanical drive completely  while still making room for the customer to put in there own HDD if they wanted or supporting external HDDs from day one.

Good points. Maybe 256GB flash plus 2TB HDD for base PS5, and 1TB flash and no drive for Pro? Base users will still mostly want a complete package out of the box I think, but Pro users should be able to add an external drive without issue, and possibly internal depending on the Pro case design.

KBG29 said:

I would much rather see them go with 1TB of M.2 NVMe storage, with the ability for us to upgrade. I also think they should only support external SSD due to speed requirements. It will be a slight hit in 2020 or 2021, but SSD price will fall very fast and capacity will make leaps. If they don't stick it in, it opens the door to other companies to make much more capable boxes and have a generational leap over PS5 within a year or two of release.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2985226/storage/samsungs-950-pro-ssd-marries-v-nand-and-nvme-for-ludicrously-fast-speeds.html

*Read the date wrong. Thought it said 2018, not 2015 lol. My point is null.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 23 February 2018

KBG29 said:

I would much rather see them go with 1TB of M.2 NVMe storage, with the ability for us to upgrade. I also think they should only support external SSD due to speed requirements. It will be a slight hit in 2020 or 2021, but SSD price will fall very fast and capacity will make leaps. If they don't stick it in, it opens the door to other companies to make much more capable boxes and have a generational leap over PS5 within a year or two of release.

Well, two things to consider here....

1. Games don't really benefit that much from a faster Drive beyond a point. Like if you look at a PC running a game from a Sata 3 SSD (~550MB/s) and a M.2 NVME (~2GB/s), the game loading times remain practically identical. Maybe a second or two edge in favor of the M.2 drive. So there isn't any reason to prioritize putting in an NVMe or even an m.2 interface in a console.  

2. The cost of an SSD, makes no sense throwing in a storage format but be strapped on pricing so much that it ends up becoming a nuisance.
Having said all that though, Its cheaper to build the technology of what would have been an NVMe m.2 drive (albeit custom) right onto the MB itself. That way, they can throw in their own controller and a specific amount of nand flash chips, say 240GB/480GB/720GB and have an on board solution that can hit speeds of 1500MB/s and up. Knowing fully well that if anyone wants extra space they could just plug in an external drive. This is kinda the best of both worlds. My money would be on 1TB on board nand flash storage.
EricHiggin said:

1. I thought PS4 was solely GDDR5. That would make more sense why Pro went that route then. Would also make me think a separate 4GB of DDR4 might be more likely in PS5. You learn something new everyday. I would think 16GB for GPU would be a definite, maybe 20GB. 24GB + 4GB seems too much.

2. Good points. Maybe 256GB flash plus 2TB HDD for base PS5, and 1TB flash and no drive for Pro? Base users will still mostly want a complete package out of the box I think, but Pro users should be able to add an external drive without issue, and possibly internal depending on the Pro case design.

1.  Not only did it have an extra GDDR3 256MB or ram, it also had a low power ARM processor. And yh, 24GB of GDDR6 definately seems too much. But I could see 16GB-20GB and anything as much as 4-8GB of LPDDR4 ram to replace what is currently 1GB of DDR3 ram in the PS4pro but this time around not touch the App Ram and have the OS only use the LPDDR4 ram

2. Well, the NS got away with having just 32GB flash in the console. I think things like that would make sony and MS think a little out of the box too. It honestly won't surprise me if they just went with 480GB-960GB on board flash and call it a day. If you want more storage plug in an external drive. And on the flip side, doing away with any accomodations for an internal HDD simplifies the design and gives them more room for cooling. 

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said:

Well, two things to consider here....

1. Games don't really benefit that much from a faster Drive beyond a point. Like if you look at a PC running a game from a Sata 3 SSD (~550MB/s) and a M.2 NVME (~2GB/s), the game loading times remain practically identical. Maybe a second or two edge in favor of the M.2 drive. So there isn't any reason to prioritize putting in an NVMe or even an m.2 interface in a console.  

2. The cost of an SSD, makes no sense throwing in a storage format but be strapped on pricing so much that it ends up becoming a nuisance.
Having said all that though, Its cheaper to build the technology of what would have been an NVMe m.2 drive (albeit custom) right onto the MB itself. That way, they can throw in their own controller and a specific amount of nand flash chips, say 240GB/480GB/720GB and have an on board solution that can hit speeds of 1500MB/s and up. Knowing fully well that if anyone wants extra space they could just plug in an external drive. This is kinda the best of both worlds. My money would be on 1TB on board nand flash storage.

EricHiggin said:

1. I thought PS4 was solely GDDR5. That would make more sense why Pro went that route then. Would also make me think a separate 4GB of DDR4 might be more likely in PS5. You learn something new everyday. I would think 16GB for GPU would be a definite, maybe 20GB. 24GB + 4GB seems too much.

2. Good points. Maybe 256GB flash plus 2TB HDD for base PS5, and 1TB flash and no drive for Pro? Base users will still mostly want a complete package out of the box I think, but Pro users should be able to add an external drive without issue, and possibly internal depending on the Pro case design.

1.  Not only did it have an extra GDDR3 256MB or ram, it also had a low power ARM processor. And yh, 24GB of GDDR6 definately seems too much. But I could see 16GB-20GB and anything as much as 4-8GB of LPDDR4 ram to replace what is currently 1GB of DDR3 ram in the PS4pro but this time around not touch the App Ram and have the OS only use the LPDDR4 ram

2. Well, the NS got away with having just 32GB flash in the console. I think things like that would make sony and MS think a little out of the box too. It honestly won't surprise me if they just went with 480GB-960GB on board flash and call it a day. If you want more storage plug in an external drive. And on the flip side, doing away with any accomodations for an internal HDD simplifies the design and gives them more room for cooling. 

For both RAM and Storage, we can't look at how things workon the PC, because games are built around PS4/XBO tech. When the base line moves up to say 1500MB/s and 32GB of RAM, that totally changes things. Games can be built and optimized to use all the bandwidth and capacity. That seems to get overlooked in the lead up to every new generation.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

For both RAM and Storage, we can't look at how things workon the PC, because games are built around PS4/XBO tech. When the base line moves up to say 1500MB/s and 32GB of RAM, that totally changes things. Games can be built and optimized to use all the bandwidth and capacity. That seems to get overlooked in the lead up to every new generation.

Not looking at how it works on PC; thing with storage is the problem isn't that its on PC or console, the problem is how games are stored. The reason loading times remain near identical between a 500MB/s and 2000MB/s SSD is because the actual data being transferred isn't what is making them identical but rather the data seek times.Games are made up of thousands of very small files and a few chunky ones here and there. 

It will be like the ps4
It will have hardware similar to pcs and porting games will be easy like this generation

Last edited by asqarkabab - on 24 February 2018

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Intrinsic said:

Not only did it have an extra GDDR3 256MB or ram, it also had a low power ARM processor. And yh, 24GB of GDDR6 definately seems too much. But I could see 16GB-20GB and anything as much as 4-8GB of LPDDR4 ram to replace what is currently 1GB of DDR3 ram in the PS4pro but this time around not touch the App Ram and have the OS only use the LPDDR4 ram.

Knew about the extra background processor, didn't know it had it's own separate small chunk of RAM. With 5-6GB available to the PS4 for games, I'm thinking now that 16GB should be plenty for a future proof PS5, with the OS having it's own separate 4GB. 20GB of RAM total for a 2020 console sounds right. lol.

Intrinsic said:

Well, the NS got away with having just 32GB flash in the console. I think things like that would make sony and MS think a little out of the box too. It honestly won't surprise me if they just went with 480GB-960GB on board flash and call it a day. If you want more storage plug in an external drive. And on the flip side, doing away with any accomodations for an internal HDD simplifies the design and gives them more room for cooling.

At one point I did wonder if SSD prices didn't fall fast enough to include worthwhile mass storage, that PS just may say screw it and use a 1TB SSD. If they could get approx 1TB of flash on board, it would end up basically the same. Having to buy an external HDD with the system wouldn't be any different than having to buy games or extra controllers or VR separately. More space for cooling would be great. PS5 could stand to be more quiet than PS4.

PS could also continue to partner with other brands and have them make a certain model that fits the PS5 design and is an official PS5 drive. By that time $50 could probably get you a 4-6TB drive. Adding that to a $399/$449 PS5 retail price wouldn't be so bad. It would be a big change for PS not to try to pack everything into the console to keep things neat and tidy, but it would make sense. Having people get used to buying a separate external mass storage drive for PS5 would be a good way to eventually transition to having to buy an external optical drive for those that want physical games in the future as well. One step at a time maybe?

EricHiggin said:

At one point I did wonder if SSD prices didn't fall fast enough to include worthwhile mass storage, that PS just may say screw it and use a 1TB SSD. If they could get approx 1TB of flash on board, it would end up basically the same. Having to buy an external HDD with the system wouldn't be any different than having to buy games or extra controllers or VR separately. More space for cooling would be great. PS5 could stand to be more quiet than PS4.

PS could also continue to partner with other brands and have them make a certain model that fits the PS5 design and is an official PS5 drive. By that time $50 could probably get you a 4-6TB drive. Adding that to a $399/$449 PS5 retail price wouldn't be so bad. It would be a big change for PS not to try to pack everything into the console to keep things neat and tidy, but it would make sense. Having people get used to buying a separate external mass storage drive for PS5 would be a good way to eventually transition to having to buy an external optical drive for those that want physical games in the future as well. One step at a time maybe?

I guess no matter how fast ssd prices fall its still cheaper to just dolder the nand flash chips on the board regardless. On the plus side they could tailor the speed of such a set up. And technically having the console ship with 1TB of nand flash but no HDD is still an all inclusive package. Some would even-argue that its cleaner.

Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:

I guess no matter how fast ssd prices fall its still cheaper to just dolder the nand flash chips on the board regardless. On the plus side they could tailor the speed of such a set up. And technically having the console ship with 1TB of nand flash but no HDD is still an all inclusive package. Some would even-argue that its cleaner.

I can get on board with on board storage =). I have no problem grabbing USB3.1 Gen 2 extrenal SSD to expand the storage. If they left an open M.2 NVMe slot inside similar to the PS2's HDD bay, that would be the ultimate to me. 

Having some form of Soild State Storage in PS5 is IMO the most important next gen feature. HDD's have been to slow for 2 generations now, it is time we get rid of that bottleneck.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL