By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A clueless parent asked me if the Evil within was appropriate for her 12 year old

?

yes 38 14.18%

no 152 56.72%

depends on maturity level 60 22.39%

other 2 0.75%

see resultz 16 5.97%

Total:268

Actually bought The Evil Within (and Alien: Isolation) during the Black Friday sales here in Canada today. Looking at the game, if the 12 year-old in question has been to R-rated horror films with his family and understands what is going on in these violent video games then I think it would be O.K. It depends on the maturity level. I feel that Alien: Isolation would be a better choice for the 12 year old since it's based on a popular movie franchise and doesn't have a heavy emphasis on violence. You're trying to avoid conflict if you can.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
generic-user-1 said:
the fuck was her problem? boobies are nice, and every child saw some. its nothing new, thats where the milk comes from. some boobie physics are the most sex a game can have(well my char in fallout had sex with a ghoul, but no kid can understand those dialoges that lead to the non visual sexscene, so doesnt matter).
nobody was ever harmed in anyway by seeing boobies...

horror games on the other hand can harm a child, not every child, but some just cant sleep after a horror game or movie(my brother is 23 and cant sleep after seeing a horror movie) or fear the dark(well nothing is wrong with some Fear of the Dark..., i myself have a constant fear that something`s always near, i would say i have a phobia that someones alway there...).

and another problem is the reason for this question, christianity(or why else should she have a problem with "sex" in games?), there is a realy good study that showed that religiouse children are much worse in telling whats real and whats fiction.

I don't really get why that would be a reason. I mean, if she was that much of a christian surely she'd have a problem with the violence as well, no?

not realy, sex and masturbation is bad, killing? not so much...

The game has kinda strong gore. It's not appropiate.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I played "Mature" games when I was a kid. But really Halo, CoD, GTA 3 are not very mature games.

Whether I was shooting someone in a mature game or stabbing someone in a Teen game like Dynasty Warriors or FF it made no difference.

Very few games are mature, but Evil within probably is. Twisted Metal Black was awesome and its borderline.

I don't really know to be honest, I was around 12 when I started to come into contact with more gory games like Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat (to be fair my parents didn't know) and I seemed to have turned out okay. I would say probably I wouldn't buy something as gory as the Evil Within for a 12 year old kid but perhaps I would also turn a blind eye.

Around the Network

Well you know not like the cover gives it away or anything. But still, I would've probably tried to convince her to get a Wii U with Bayonetta 2 or at least recommended a different PS4/XB1 game

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Leadified said:
I don't really know to be honest, I was around 12 when I started to come into contact with more gory games like Splatterhouse and Mortal Kombat (to be fair my parents didn't know) and I seemed to have turned out okay. I would say probably I wouldn't buy something as gory as the Evil Within for a 12 year old kid but perhaps I would also turn a blind eye.

Back when I was 12 gore was hardly as graphic as it was now. I played goldeneye, eternal darnkess and GTA3 with no problems. But I certainly feel there would be far more impact with the image quality we have today. Id probably turn a blind eye but I wouldn't say yes to the OPs question, mostly because parents like that would probably come back and abuse you once they actually see what the game contains lol

And? What did you tell her? Don't keep us waiting.

Blob said:

Back when I was 12 gore was hardly as graphic as it was now. I played goldeneye, eternal darnkess and GTA3 with no problems. But I certainly feel there would be far more impact with the image quality we have today. Id probably turn a blind eye but I wouldn't say yes to the OPs question, mostly because parents like that would probably come back and abuse you once they actually see what the game contains lol

Generally most Mature rated games are pretty light on the blood and gore, probably around the level of a PG 13 movie and to that I have no problem with.  There seems to be  a lot of variation in how graphic content can be once it's rated M which is why I think the ESRB system as is, is pretty flawed when games like Halo and Call of Duty are rated the same as games like The Evil Within or Mortal Kombat.

Leadified said:
Blob said:

Generally most Mature rated games are pretty light on the blood and gore, probably around the level of a PG 13 movie and to that I have no problem with.  There seems to be  a lot of variation in how graphic content can be once it's rated M which is why I think the ESRB system as is, is pretty flawed when games like Halo and Call of Duty are rated the same as games like The Evil Within or Mortal Kombat.

Ah, see in AU you we have M for mature games that are fairly light on blood and gore like Halo, Zelda Twilight princess, Monster hunter ect. MA15+ is the restricted games that require ID and theyre more violent/gory. Then stuff like the Evil within which I believe got R18+. 

So yeah based on our ratings Evil within is definately a cut or two above most mature games.