By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to go digital - Update: I decided to go Retail

*Sound Of Rain said:
Zackasaurus-rex said:
Don't do it.

Care to explain why?

Definitely. :3 I'll just make a list for easy reading.

-Physical games offer a more engaging/fun sense of collecting.
-Physical games don't put you through frequent hard drive maintenance and long downloads. PS4 installations are incredibly fast (under a minute) before letting you into a game (it can take more like twenty minutes on Xbone), so if I need the HDD space, I don't feel bad about deleting the install files for a disc-based game. I can just reinstall it in a minute if I want to play the game again sometime. With downloads, I'd be waiting for hours.
-If your internet has a montly cap, those downloads will put a serious dent in that. A single game can be 50GB before patches.
-Physical games retain better value and can later be sold if you ever want the money.
-Physical games will still work even when publishers shut down stores, remove title support, etc.
-If you like collectibles, physical limited editions are the way to get those. Furthermore, some publishers include physical bonuses as first run/pre-order gifts.
-People who buy physical games save more money thanks to retailer discounts, sales, etc. While there are sometimes good digital sales, they're a lot less consistent than retailer options.
-If you are going to pay the same amount for a game either way, you get more in exchange for your money with physical copies.
-Physical copies give you immensely more legal rights than do digital copies. Digital purchases are legally just rentals with terms that make it very easy for a publisher to cancel on you, even for suspicion of, say, hacking or cheating. Hell, accounts can get compromised by just about anything.
-You can trade and lend physical games with friends, if you're into that.

Publishers are currently trying to incentivise digital (despite its obvious disadvantages) because it benefits them at the sacrifice of the gamer/consumer. 

Around the Network

Not yet..... Digital for console isn't there yet.. Not until Sony pushes PS now to the next level.. Where u can stream every ps game without having to download anything to any ps4

mM

I am staying mostly disc. The PS4 hard drive is way too small. I would rather be able to just reinstall a game off the disc when I want to play it down the road instead of redownloading it...They already have games pushing 50GB...

I was looking into going digital, but when i see the prices i am like no. The prices are just way to high

Zackasaurus-rex said:

-Physical games don't put you through frequent hard drive maintenance and long downloads. PS4 installations are incredibly fast (under a minute) before letting you into a game (it can take more like twenty minutes on Xbone), so if I need the HDD space, I don't feel bad about deleting the install files for a disc-based game. I can just reinstall it in a minute if I want to play the game again sometime. With downloads, I'd be waiting for hours.
-If your internet has a montly cap, those downloads will put a serious dent in that. A single game can be 50GB before patches.
-Physical games retain better value and can later be sold if you ever want the money.
-Physical games will still work even when publishers shut down stores, remove title support, etc.
-If you like collectibles, physical limited editions are the way to get those. Furthermore, some publishers include physical bonuses as first run/pre-order gifts.
-People who buy physical games save more money thanks to retailer discounts, sales, etc. While there are sometimes good digital sales, they're a lot less consistent than retailer options.
-If you are going to pay the same amount for a game either way, you get more in exchange for your money with physical copies.
-Physical copies give you immensely more legal rights than do digital copies. Digital purchases are legally just rentals with terms that make it very easy for a publisher to cancel on you, even for suspicion of, say, hacking or cheating. Hell, accounts can get compromised by just about anything.

Publishers are currently trying to incentivise digital (despite its obvious disadvantages) because it benefits them at the sacrifice of the gamer/consumer. 

Thank you for taking the time to make a list. A lot of the concerns I already had were mentioned. The whole rental thing does make it hard to jump on the digital train. I actually forgot that you could delete a game but keep the save data. I guess that would help since I don't really want to buy a new HD...

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
As long as your internal or external is rocking it is no problem! Do it

I didn't expect you to be pro digital Spurge

*Sound Of Rain said:
Zackasaurus-rex said:

Thank you for taking the time to make a list. A lot of the concerns I already had were mentioned. The whole rental thing does make it hard to jump on the digital train. I actually forgot that you could delete a game but keep the save data. I guess that would help since I don't really want to buy a new HD...

No problem!

Yeah, deleting physical game install data is incredibly fast and easy on PS4 because of the general speed of the system. I can delete my ACIV install in seconds. And if I want to replay it a year from now, I can pop in the disc and be playing in under a minute. Thus, there is no reason to let it take ~40GB or whatever of my HDD space when I'm not playing it.

With digital games, you have to account for many hours of downloading. 

Save data is, as you suggested, separate on the HDD and safe. Furthermore, you can back all of that up on Sony's cloud storage. I think you may need PS+ for that, but you ~probably~ already have PS+. Also, you can manage save files yourself with a flash drive.

*Sound Of Rain said:

I have been looking into possibly going all digital on the PS4. It seems to be much more convenient and I've always been a fan of simplicity & ease of use.

However, upon reading up on it, some people claim that it takes forever to download a game...is this true? Like 10+ hours. Also, some are reporting issues with not being able to access digital games when PSN is down. Is this true?

TLDR: What has your experience with buying retail games digitally been like?

Going digital is like selling your soul. Spend the extra half hour and go to the store. You'll thank me later lol.

Zackasaurus-rex said:

No problem!

Yeah, deleting physical game install data is incredibly fast and easy on PS4 because of the general speed of the system. I can delete my ACIV install in seconds. And if I want to replay it a year from now, I can pop in the disc and be playing in under a minute. Thus, there is no reason to let it take ~40GB or whatever of my HDD space when I'm not playing it.

With digital games, you have to account for many hours of downloading. 

Save data is, as you suggested, separate on the HDD and safe. Furthermore, you can back all of that up on Sony's cloud storage. I think you may need PS+ for that, but you ~probably~ already have PS+. Also, you can manage save files yourself with a flash drive

Sounds good to me. Yeah, I already have PS+ so I'll be good with cloud storage

prayformojo said:

Going digital is like selling your soul. Spend the extra half hour and go to the store. You'll thank me later lol.

I don't want to sell my soul