By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to go digital - Update: I decided to go Retail

All digital here... and as far as downloads go, it boils down to your internet connection. Any game above 38GB takes me around 5hrs to download. Usually I just start the downloads at night before i go to bed and the game is waiting for me when I wake up. Pre-downloading has been a god sent though, now the game is ready before launch day. 

daredevil.shark said:
IMO console gaming already has DRM which is bound by hardware. So getting digital is not a wise idea. When PS / Xbox servers will be closed for PS3 / Xbox 360 those digital games cant be downloaded. Get retail copy in consoles. Go digital with steam.

How does what you just said not also apply to steam? Can you redownload games from steam if valve shuts down their servers? 

Around the Network

Its alright. Its easier to play games since you don't have to put the disc in everytime, but otherwise, there's no other advantage. I only get games digitally if there is a good sale.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

*Sound Of Rain said:

- Alright cool. I heard it had something to do with the last time you logged in & if the account is set to primary on the PS4. If not, people were locked out of their games. Glad to hear this is false.

- I get around 25Mbps on my iPad but only like 17 on the PS4. My microwave also interferes with my Wifi. Anyway, I should download games at a reasonable speed I guess. I also have an unlimited plan so I'll be fine.

That's actually pretty smart. I'll look into doing that.

actually.  allow me to clarify this.

your account can designate 1 ps4 as your "primary".  your primary console is the one that downloads are sent to if you buy your games on the web site instead of via the console (which i recommend btw).  

you digital license is as such: 1 machine locked license (aka your ps4 set to primary) and 1 locked to your psn account.  if you don't set your ps4 to "primary" (and i can think of no reason not to do so) then yes you will have to be logged into your psn account to play your games which means no access when psn is down.  so in short,.. set the primary status of your ps4 and you'll have no issues.

*Sound Of Rain said:

I have been looking into possibly going all digital on the PS4. It seems to be much more convenient and I've always been a fan of simplicity & ease of use.

However, upon reading up on it, some people claim that it takes forever to download a game...is this true? Like 10+ hours. Also, some are reporting issues with not being able to access digital games when PSN is down. Is this true?

TLDR: What has your experience with buying retail games digitally been like?

I bought the Killzone bundle at launch and didn't plan on going all digital. Bought BF4 disc with the PS4 day 1 as well but I regretted not getting that digital. 

Every game since has been downloaded and I've got a good collection. Prices on the EU store are too high for us and I was reconsidering only getting my fav games as digital. But then I set up a US PSN account and I save $30 for every game I buy there compared to in a store here or on the EU PSN store. 

So I'm pretty much going full on digital now. I've a 1.5TB HDD as well so I'm prepared. Downloads are slow for me because of my internet speed. But the PS4 downloads them in standby mode overnight. Both Far Cry 4 and GTA 5 were pre loaded and ready to go when the release date came. 

Recently pre ordered The Order 1886, FC4, GTA 5 and unless BF: Hardline turns out to be total shit I'll pre order that too. So my advice is go digital off the US store if you're from outside the US. 

Digital sucks when you buy a game that you think is good, but it is sooooo bad. You can't trade it or return it, you have to suck it up.

Other than that it's cool.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
IMO console gaming already has DRM which is bound by hardware. So getting digital is not a wise idea. When PS / Xbox servers will be closed for PS3 / Xbox 360 those digital games cant be downloaded. Get retail copy in consoles. Go digital with steam.

You can always do a back-up copy of the data of your 360/PS3's HDD info on your PC, just in case severs one day close, so the data stored in your hard drive will be forever safe; no games lost.

Can't say the same with PS4/Xbox One. I think the digital model on last-gen consoles was fine.

kitler53 said:

actually.  allow me to clarify this.

your account can designate 1 ps4 as your "primary".  your primary console is the one that downloads are sent to if you buy your games on the web site instead of via the console (which i recommend btw).  

you digital license is as such: 1 machine locked license (aka your ps4 set to primary) and 1 locked to your psn account.  if you don't set your ps4 to "primary" (and i can think of no reason not to do so) then yes you will have to be logged into your psn account to play your games which means no access when psn is down.  so in short,.. set the primary status of your ps4 and you'll have no issues.

My PS4 is set to primary already so I'm fine then

Sorry to hear about your DS troubles. That definitely does suck butt

Thanks for the advice & for sharing your experience with it. Now, my only concern is Christmas Day. It's big in my house & I heard that the PSN servers were shut down last Christmas. If nobody can download their new games...that would be pretty sad

Wright said:
daredevil.shark said:

You can always do a back-up copy of the data of your 360/PS3's HDD info on your PC, just in case severs one day close, so the data stored in your hard drive will be forever safe; no games lost.

Can't say the same with PS4/Xbox One. I think the digital model on last-gen consoles was fine.

1. I dont trust Sony / MS / Ninty with digital. Their price is not right compared to steam. Just look at them.

2. Still, in steam even if the hardware dies there is no tension. But in consoles its an issue despite having backup. This is why I havent purchased PS+ or digital stuffs from PSN.

3. I know many people who lost lots of digital games because their accounts were suspended because of hacking. Saw a guy who playfire who lost £2000 games because his account was compromised.

4. I am old fashioned. The appeal of owning retail copy is just awesome. None can replace it.

Sensei said:
Digital sucks when you buy a game that you think is good, but it is sooooo bad. You can't trade it or return it, you have to suck it up.

Other than that it's cool.

Yeah. I'd have to be even more careful when deciding on what games to buy

I am exclusively digital this gen on PS4, mainly due to much lower prices in the US/UK PS Store than we have here in retail in Iceland (most of the time it's 50% cheaper at launch)

The One and Only

VizionEck.com