By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to go digital - Update: I decided to go Retail

Con: 70 W of power consumption while downloading a game in standby mode.

On PS4 I'd go digital only with digital-only games.

Around the Network
okr said:

That's a con? 70 Watt per hour? So, in 14 hours you spend 1 kWh, which is about 0.15€...  And any game can be downloaded in 14 hours, even GTA V.

If I started saving like that, surely I would save for a whole new retail disc every 333 games I download...

FlanaganPies said:
As a PS3 owner, on proper cabling, the speeds from PSN are just pitiful. What are they doing with the PS+ money? Clearly not improving their services. I get the max speeds from them too, it's just got awful (they cap out at something like 25Mbps)

my connection is 16Mbps, thanks for making me feel bad about it

zuvuyeay said:
the only problem i have is most games are £55 new release which is far to much than i will pay,i'm definitely all digital when the sales come round though so a bit of a wait on the PS4

For us Brits, it's just not worth it due to prices (VAT too). Our highstreet shops and online seem to know how to do it better. Compete to get as many sales as they can, while PSN stays at £55. I mean DA:I is £55 on PSN, i bought it and got it yesterday, played it yesterday for £37. £18 saving, that's enough basically to buy the DLC when it comes out (I won't as don't like DLC but still).

Hmm, pie.

Burek said:
I am full digital on PS4, and am so pleased that I am definitely never getting another disc.

As for your questions:
- Downloaded games are available even when offline. Always.
- DL times depend on your internet speed. As a rule of thumb, say that 8Mbps connection gets you about 3.33 GB/hour, and 20Mbps gets you 9 GB/hour. See where you stand and decide, games average 20-25 GB (some like Little Big Planet 3 are 11GB, Destiny is 20, and GTA V is 50GB.

I have an excellent speed and unlimited plan, so I don't even pay attention, and with preloading, all games are available the first minute of release, and I slept while they were being downloaded.

My suggestion if you should decide to go digital: Buy each game on a separate account. You can still play them from your main account, and when you're done you can resell/trade them with others.

Woaaah there, cowboy. I have a 30 Mbps connection speed (also unlimited plan, too), from which I receive 20-25Mbps via wifi on my ipad, macbook and PC (similar to OP, as he said in his reply). Steam, for me, downloads games at around 2 MB/s for me at said speed. 2MB/s * 3600s (Amount of seconds in a single hour) is equal to 7 gigabytes. In 8 Mbps case, it's around 800 KB/s, which is equal to 2.9 GB.

I know it's just a small detail but I just had to clarify this, otherwise it would have bugged me for the rest of the week.

Though, from personal experience, at 2 MB/s I downloaded CS: GO (4.5 GB) last night on my macbook in less than 40 min, and TBOI: Rebirth (500 MB) I remember it took no more than three or four minutes.

Around the Network

I would go digital if I could store the installers and patches like the good old days for PC.

HDD backups just don't work as you constant have to create backups of the whole thing.

Then if your system dies will I be able to use that backup in another system?

If I had the installers and patches I could put them on any system I own.

prayformojo said:

Alot of people will give you good reasons for either but I like to simplfiy it. Buying physical means your games and console are seperate. This allows you both ownership of said games and freedom to do what you want with them. It also says that when your console dies, your games won't go with it. When the servers go offline down the road, they will remain yours, in full working order. There is safety in that.

Really, the ONLY pro for digital is not having to drive to a store but, don't you do that anyway? As far as the 20 SECONDS of time it takes to put a disc in the console... come on. You know? 

If we're getting to the point were we can't even get OFF a couch, we are in more trouble as humans than we realize. haha

Some other Pros:

- less Noise, A Disc Drive is louder than a HDD

- If you loose or break the Disc it's useless. If you accidentaly delete your digital game you can redownload it

- You can make legal Backups (At least on the WiiU). So if your HDD breaks and the Server is down, you can use your Backup-HDD

- Faster Loading Times

- Easier Transportation and Storage. 50 Digital Games are easier to transport or to store than 50 Retail Games.

Of course most if not all mentioned Cons in this thread are valid too. However I decided to go digital unless the retail copy is cheaper.

okr said:

Solution, Disable Standby-Mode and download the game in online mode. 

And wouldn't you use less power with digital games during gaming, because the disc drive isn't used?

hentai_11 said:

Some other Pros:

- less Noise, A Disc Drive is louder than a HDD

Obviously you never used a Cheetah 15k HDD. :P
Quantum Bigfoots and Hitachi's early "Deathstars" if I recall were also pretty damn loud.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

They idea of going pure digital does have its merits but id say its still 4-5 years off from being hassle free/secure. So Id say do a mix of digital and physical this gen.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda