By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Microsoft saved Vita

dyremose said:
Wright said:

Could it be that microsoft is gearing up to become a publisher instead of console manufacturer.  It isnt really normal for platform holders to release products on the competitors systems. With a product like this that encourages the creation of unlimited content it is also quite difficult to make a sequel that warrants purchase

As long as Sony is breathing, Microsoft will be breathing down their neck. If MS was going to leave the console industry IMO would go back to what they used to do which is be a slight publishing hand for PC. It would no longer be financially viable for them to be a third party for consoles though if they werent making consoles though. Then again (upon second thought) Xbox was separated from other parts of MS since they were forced to break apart certain parts of their company by the courts, so maybe there is some truth to what you say. If the Xbox brand can hold popularity it would probably be the next EA. MS development and publishing style is a lot like EA. Their mentalities are almost the same.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DialgaMarine said:
Wright said:

Actually, they couldn't. The deal to have Mincraft on a Playstation was a contract made before MS's purchase. When MS purchased Minecraft, the purchased the contract as well, and are legally obligated to hold their end of it. The same applied to Skype on Vita. 

MS could've broken the deal, bro. Rememeber when they tried to keep Mass Effect from Sony by having a contract with Bioware and then EA bought Bioware? EA chose to break the contract because the contract was not between the new owners and Microsoft, but the company they purchased, which no longer matters if Bioware no longer own their IP's.

That contract was only temporary from the begining. I guarentee if MS still somehow owned the original ME, they would've sued the shit out of EA.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DialgaMarine said:
Wright said:

Actually, they couldn't. The deal to have Mincraft on a Playstation was a contract made before MS's purchase. When MS purchased Minecraft, the purchased the contract as well, and are legally obligated to hold their end of it. The same applied to Skype on Vita. 

MS could've broken the deal, bro. Rememeber when they tried to keep Mass Effect from Sony by having a contract with Bioware and then EA bought Bioware? EA chose to break the contract because the contract was not between the new owners and Microsoft, but the company they purchased, which no longer matters if Bioware no longer own their IP's.

That contract was only temporary from the begining. I guarentee if MS still somehow owned the original ME, they would've sued the shit out of EA.

The original contract was only subject to the sole console exclusivity and publishing rights to Xbox 360 version of the game. The terms were to keep the franchise from Sony. They did the same thing until Mass Effect 2 and then EA broke the contract. Essentially this is what Microsoft Did:

Microsoft: Hi Bioware!

Bioware: Whats up?

Microsoft: Watcha doin?

Bioware: Making a badass game.

Microsoft: Looks good. Think you can put it on the 360?

Bioware: I dunno, it would cost quite a bit. We did help you out last gen but you'll probably have to fund it.

Microsoft: No problem. Theres only one catch......keep the game from our console competition...namely Sony. 

Bioware: Sure.

(fast track to EA purchase)

EA: Oh look...the PS3 is catching up in sales. Lets expand our userbase.

Microsoft: Oh fuck! I knew we should've renewed the contract! Oh well, I guess since people percieve Mass Effect to be an Xbox 360 game its just as well.

I think sony can be saved by sony. How, you may wonder? By letting the new vita editions be able to play ps2 classics. This can be done by inserting a chip, insert a new processor or overclock the same processor as they have now!