By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would you name Nintendo's next system?

They need to shed themselves of the stigma that the Nintendo brand has limitations of technology, 3rd party support, that it depends on Mario/Link too much and that it's for kids. At the same time, they need to rekindle the love of those that were passionate about Nintendo in the past. While calling the system the NN64 would trigger nostalgia for those that loved that system, the N64 also represents Nintendo's fall from market leader, loss of 3rd party support and its first hardware mistake with the lack of CD drive. It also sounds lame.

I would step back a gen or two earlier and return to the Nintendo Entertainment System branding. It sounds adult and mature, while at the same time awesomely retro, back to a time where even the most cynical of modern gamer would admit that Nintendo systems were for the "core" gamer. I would call the system NES3, stating that it is the 3rd system in the NES/SNES line. I would enlist some studios to make sure it launches with non-traditional Nintendo games, such as an RPG from Mistwalker, a shooter, etc, and appeal to the nostalgia of core gamers who bashed Wii or Wii U.

Of course, the system would also have to be true to the NES/SNES roots and have decent power under the hood to play the coming generation of games.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Cream147 said:
JEMC said:

Both the "Wii" and "DS" brands are too worn to be used again.

I disagree that the DS brand is worn. The Wii one definitely is though.

We'll have to disagree then.

We have had: DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL followed by 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS and now N3DS and N3DS XL. There's not much left they can do with the DS name anymore.

Oh it's been used a lot, but so has the PlayStation brand, yet Sony have yet to retire it. My point is simply that I think the brand "Wii" has negative connotations to a lot of people now (completely wrongly in my opinion but that's a different story). Using the Wii brand on a console I think will hurt sales. I don't think the same is true for DS is all. They could call the next one the "DS4" if they wanted, but that's probably a sworded name choice!

Cream147 said:
JEMC said:

We'll have to disagree then.

We have had: DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL followed by 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS and now N3DS and N3DS XL. There's not much left they can do with the DS name anymore.

Oh it's been used a lot, but so has the PlayStation brand, yet Sony have yet to retire it. My point is simply that I think the brand "Wii" has negative connotations to a lot of people now (completely wrongly in my opinion but that's a different story). Using the Wii brand on a console I think will hurt sales. I don't think the same is true for DS is all. They could call the next one the "DS4" if they wanted, but that's probably a sworded name choice!

I don't even know if they could call it DS4 with Sony's DualShock4 also being called DS4. And HDS as I've read sometimes is a bad name too (my opinion).

Ultimately, it will depend on 2 things: what does Nintendo want to do with it and if it will have 2 screens or not. Since we don't know that, it's impossible to predict.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

If it was some type of virtual reality system I think they could call it the Revolution...I've always liked that name.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

The Nintendo Please Understand™

Around the Network

Super Nintendo Ultra

NS (Nintendo System). Keep it simple and easy to remember. For the other products in their line (i.e portable) they can add another character (or word) at the end of the name. Like NS Mini or something..

Nintendo Next, or Nintendo Fusion.

The Dolphin. That's what I wish they would have called the Gamecube.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nintendo 7 (N7) - would be a nice name.