By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

bananaking21 said:
curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:

its not unfair, its illogical. 

Why does personal interpretation of art need to be logical?

even though i am ignoring the basic cartoonish art style of MK8 and the overblown bloom the game has, and i take it as it does have an "amazing art style". i will go out to point that there are games, that also have fantastic art styles which are also massivily superior to MK8 in technical terms. Destiny and Dragon Age have mind blowing art styles and technical visuals that are miles ahead of MK8

comparing DA to MK8 both have great art styles, but one is on a completely different leage when it comes to the technical side of the art. so its illogical to say MK8 looks better than it when DA is tied on art style as they are both "amazing" but DA is miles ahead in the technical level. 

What if one simply prefers the aesthetic end product of MK8 over other games? What if the final image on screen is more pleasing to them than Destiny or Dragon Age?

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:

GTAexpert said:

Eurogamer (a heavily biased site) 

So because they say something positive about Nintendo, they are biased?

I have more reasons than that to call them biased:

1. They gave SM3DW GOTY of 2013 when the rest of the world was giving it to either TLOU or GTA V.

2. They also gave it a 10, way above its metacritic average.

3. They gave MK8 a 10, again way above its metacritic average.

4. They gave Infamous: Second Son and Driveclub a 7 and 6, way below their metacritic averages. They even criticised Driveclub for not being open-world and not having a festival like FH2 did.

5. They declare this as the best-looking game of this year.

6. Their recent article of PS4's first year, and not even mentioning its highlights like Infamous: Second Son.

1. They ain't the only ones giving GOTY to SM3DW, look it up. Even if they were, you know this award is very subjective don't you? Maybe, just maybe, some gaming journalists are just tired of all lifelike wanna bes? Anyway, you sayi this site is biased towards Nintendo because of they gave GOTY to SM3DW when it's actually the only nintendo game winning GOTY over the last 15 years? ok...

2. It's meta is 93, 0,7 up;

3. MK8 has 88 meta, 1.2 above. Also, there are other perfect 10s fot MK8, are those biased towards Nintendo too?

4. Second Son has a Meta of 8, they gave it a 7, jus 1.0 below. Actually the score being given more times is  8, the second one is 7 (I:SS was 14 or 15 times rated 7 by gaming sites). DC has 71 meta, they gave it 6 as you claim, just 1.1 below.

5. It certainly is amongst the better looking of the year. And the fact that it runs at smooth 60 fps (which I'm sure almost (if any) none of those you claim to be better looking can do) is very impressive. In order to run at 60FPS you may have to sacrifice graphical fidelity, but on the other hand it's also more pleasing to the eye as well as its way better gameplaywise.

6. Didn't read that.

Seriously, I don't even know how you can say a gaming site which name starts with "Euro" is biased towards Nintendo...

60 fps over 30 fps has a big impact over how a game looks than just over how it plays. A game looks even more beautiful if it runs smoothly. But maybe that's just me...

I disagree, but Eurogamer is looking for extra hits so i understand why they made an article like this.

I suspect though this is partly why the next Nintendo hardware (fusion handheld + home variant) won't be that big of an upgrade, but more of a 2-3x boost over the Wii U with more RAM and more modern shader effects.

This level of graphics is more than good enough for Nintendo's art style to look "pretty" in without getting in to the bigger budget headaches PS4/X1 games will run into.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:

But he said best looking console game, which means he took the technical aspects into the consideration as well, otherwise he would have just said best looking game period.

One can gloat about the subjective beauty of MK8's artstyle, but that kind of argument isnt enough to back up his statement of MK8 being the best looking game of 2014. The fact is, when we take technology into consideration (which thr author clearly did), MK8 doesnt even come close to your averige PS4 game, let alone being the best one out there

Big hole in your logic: maybe he thought a non-console game this game was artistically prettier? 

We all know what people mean when they use the words 'best looking' and 'console' in the same sentence, lets not act naive

But let's look at the context, in the paragraph where he makes the proclamation he never mentions any technical terminology, he just talks about design touches:

"It's that detail that made Mario Kart 8 sing earlier this year - from small animations like the Luigi death stare that became a viral phenomenon to subtler, more meaningful changes like the introduction of new boost mechanics that always keon to dept the player engaged. It's that detail, too, that meant while others were preoccupied with the new generation arms race, Nintendo quietly produced the best-looking console game of the year. That detail is all present and correct in the new tracks and riders, making for some great little flourishes. Like how Tanooki Mario turns to stone when performing his stunt boost, momentarily frozen in mid-air, or how rupees replace coins throughout the Hyrule Castle circuit."

He said the detail makes MK8 the best looking console game which frankly can mean both things. People praised Uncharted and TLoU for their attention to detail in the same context of of their technological achievments.

Even with this thread, saying Luigi's death stare and stunt boost chnages are the reason MK8 is one of the best looking games (even only aesthetically speaking) is a stretch and a biased statment in itself which only further supports the bias of Eurogamer lately 

It is REALLY pretty of course but what I believe made them say that along with the graphics of course, is the smoothness of the gameplay. I've never seen a Nintendo game run so smooth in my entire life. Mario Kart 8 deserves all the praise that it can muster. It's truly one of Nintendo's greatest masterpieces. Smash and 3D World are also what I consider masterpieces.

Fusioncode said:
I was more impressed by Wind Waker HD.

It didn't come out this year :p

I was actually really disappointed with Wind Waker HD. 30fps? Srsly?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Jranation said:
Yep i agree, it stands out from all of the big titles that released this year.

I especially love those bubles/watery effect when you go in inside and outside the water. Especially in that candy stage.

Nintendo has always had the magic when it comes to water effects. I get the feeling that for whatever reason, it's a priority. Like, somewhere, someone is working on a game right now and Iwata is behind him with a whip going "MAKE THE WATER BETTER!!....MAKE IT BEEETTTERRRR!!".

GTAexpert said:
fedfed said:
YEAH!!!
and now everyone should own a WiiU!"

Yeah right just because one reviewer from Eurogamer (a heavily biased site) states his preference in visuals of MK8 everyone should buy a Wii U now.

No actually thats icing on the cake, you need to buy it because of its gameplay. The most important thing of any game