By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

bubblegamer said:
I disagree, but Eurogamer is looking for extra hits so i understand why they made an article like this.

If it was intended solely to get hits, why bury it in a DLC review, why not just make it a headline?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If it was intended solely to get hits, why bury it in a DLC review, why not just make it a headline?

Easy way to discount an (possibly loud) opinion. :P

Kane1389 said:

He said the detail makes MK8 the best looking console game which frankly can mean both things. People praised Uncharted and TLoU for their attention to detail in the same context of of their technological achievments.

Even with this thread, saying Luigi's death stare and stunt boost chnages are the reason MK8 is one of the best looking games (even only aesthetically speaking) is a stretch and a biased statment in itself which only further supports the bias of Eurogamer lately 

He didn't say the subtly tweaked boost mechanics made it the best looking game, he used that and the Luigi death stare as examples of the attention to detail that is the same reason why he feels it's the best looking. Not once does he praise it as a technological showpiece; he never mentions lighting and shading models, or anything like that. It's clear he's speaking from a stylistic point of view.

Bias is in the eye of the beholder.

curl-6 said:
bubblegamer said:
I disagree, but Eurogamer is looking for extra hits so i understand why they made an article like this.

Perhaps he figured out that people would dig out his words and make a big fuss about them without his help and so didn't feel the need to put more efforts into it than necessary.

That or reasons.

Soundwave said:
I suspect though this is partly why the next Nintendo hardware (fusion handheld + home variant) won't be that big of an upgrade, but more of a 2-3x boost over the Wii U with more RAM and more modern shader effects.

This level of graphics is more than good enough for Nintendo's art style to look "pretty" in without getting in to the bigger budget headaches PS4/X1 games will run into.

I would agree that.  4K gaming or 120/144fps is still a long ways off to be suitable for console tech.  It may not happen next gen for Sony or MS, let alone Ninty.  It's not even close to being the norm for PC gaming yet, and consoles are typically years behind PCs in tech.

So for the next 10-12 years, 1080p 60fps might be the best that anyone can do on a $300-400 console.  The focus should be in perfecting what you can do in that 1080p frame, more detail, more advanced physics, lighting, particle effects, and better animations, and of course locking at that 60fps.

Around the Network
CaviarMeths said:
Soundwave said:
I suspect though this is partly why the next Nintendo hardware (fusion handheld + home variant) won't be that big of an upgrade, but more of a 2-3x boost over the Wii U with more RAM and more modern shader effects.

This level of graphics is more than good enough for Nintendo's art style to look "pretty" in without getting in to the bigger budget headaches PS4/X1 games will run into.

I would agree that.  4K gaming or 120/144fps is still a long ways off to be suitable for console tech.  It may not happen next gen for Sony or MS, let alone Ninty.  It's not even close to being the norm for PC gaming yet, and consoles are typically years behind PCs in tech.

So for the next 10-12 years, 1080p 60fps might be the best that anyone can do on a $300-400 console.  The focus should be in perfecting what you can do in that 1080p frame, more detail, more advanced physics, lighting, particle effects, and better animations, and of course locking at that 60fps.

People have been saying since the late 90s that 60fps will be standard for the next gen. It's never gonna happen.

Mario Kart is enjoyable and all, but that site has a serious jones for Nintendo that's almost near sycophancy.

People, whether an art style is good or not is a matter of personal preference. Why are people arguing about whether it's good or not?

RJ_Sizzle said:

Mario Kart is enjoyable and all, but that site has a serious jones for Nintendo that's almost near sycophancy.

If that were the case, explain their damning Digital Foundary verdicts of Wii U multiplats.

I agree. It has the prettiest graphics I've seen this year. The crazy part is that its matched with incredible gameplay and with a enjoyable multiplayer experience. Its a Game of the Year contender, along with Bayonetta 2 and Divinity OS.