By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony get too cocky not matching the Xbone's price drop this holiday season?

people who buys the XB1 are people who already have made up their minds. the pricecuts and games are just convincing them to buy it now instead of later, or the price cuts makes it affordable for them. People just don't go around and makes decisions about what these systems got right now or what it recently got. people tends to buy the consoles with the games they know they will be getting, franchises and stuff like that. if i decided to pick a console just because of one game was better then the other game on the other system without thinking about the future games which got the games i already like.. i would better off just buy that system now and wait.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Around the Network
ICStats said:

Sales =/= profit.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/10/game-makers-valuations-comparing-mojang-king-rovio-and-supercell/

In 2013 King posted a net profit of $568 million on net sales of $1.88 billion, and Supercell made a profit of $464 million on revenue of $892 million. Mojang’s profit was $128 million on net sales of $325 million in 2013.

My calculation was based on current exchange rates from Swedish Krona to USD.

Profits:
2011 $13.5 Million
2012 $98 Million
2013 $128 Million

Perhaps 2014 is better, but it must be reaching a peak with Minecraft out on almost everything this year.  The very high risk is Minecraft is a one hit wonder, as Angry Birds for Rovio, Candy Crush for King, etc.

If MS was willing to pay $2.5 billion then it must have been more profitable than you believe.

Its a risk they can easily afford, so... no big deal. This will merely affect the risk taking in the future.

Minecraft is more successful than other games you mentioned. Also, its not the type of game you sink a few minutes into while taking a shit. Its a game people spend countless hours with and a social experience.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Tachikoma said:
conversely, are xbox fans getting too cocky after a couple weeks of decent sales?

I'm just happy its looking like X1 will be a releavant platform that will keep getting great support.

Sony fans seem to want no competition. All console money should be for Sony.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Tachikoma said:
conversely, are xbox fans getting too cocky after a couple weeks of decent sales?

I'm just happy its looking like X1 will be a releavant platform that will keep getting great support.

Sony fans seem to want no competition. All console money should be for Sony.

i dont much care whos winning what or by how much,  id rather people just focus on improving their games instead of shipping sloppy broken incomplete messes

Mr Puggsly said:
ICStats said:

Sales =/= profit.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/10/game-makers-valuations-comparing-mojang-king-rovio-and-supercell/

In 2013 King posted a net profit of $568 million on net sales of $1.88 billion, and Supercell made a profit of $464 million on revenue of $892 million. Mojang’s profit was $128 million on net sales of $325 million in 2013.

Profits:
2011 $13.5 Million
2012 $98 Million
2013 $128 Million

Perhaps 2014 is better, but it must be reaching a peak with Minecraft out on almost everything this year.  The very high risk is Minecraft is a one hit wonder, as Angry Birds for Rovio, Candy Crush for King, etc.

If MS was willing to pay $2.5 billion then it must have been more profitable than you believe.

Its a risk they can easily afford, so... no big deal. This will merely affect the risk taking in the future.

Minecraft is more successful than other games you mentioned. Also, its not the type of game you sink a few minutes into while taking a shit. Its a game people spend countless hours with and a social experience.

Mr Puggsly said:
ICStats said:

Sales =/= profit.

In 2013 King posted a net profit of $568 million on net sales of $1.88 billion, and Supercell made a profit of $464 million on revenue of $892 million. Mojang’s profit was $128 million on net sales of $325 million in 2013.

Profits:
2011 $13.5 Million
2012 $98 Million
2013 $128 Million

If MS was willing to pay $2.5 billion then it must have been more profitable than you believe.

What does "belief" have to do with it when we have financial data available?

In terms of succes, Candy Crush > Minecraft > Angry Birds.

Candy Crush makes ~$1 Billion per year.  Pretty good for a game people play on the shitter.  King and Rovio have more potential than Mojang though.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
ICStats said:

Candy Crush makes ~$1 Billion per year.  Pretty good for a game people play on the shitter.  King and Rovio have more potential than Mojang though.

I'm saying I don't believe those figures. They don't add up for a game that sold 50 million units at a relatively high price. MS willing to pay $2.5 billion also leads me to believe those figures are wrong.

Since Minecraft has more depth and replay value than a simple puzzle game that could also mean more long term success.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
ICStats said:

I'm saying I don't believe those figures. They don't add up for a game that sold 50 million units at a relatively high price. MS willing to pay $2.5 billion also leads me to believe those figures are wrong.

Since Minecraft has more depth and replay value than a simple puzzle game that could also mean more long term success.

13.5 + 98 + 128 + let's say 150 this year = $389 Million profit life to date.

Do you think they sold more units at $20 or at $7?  The console versions are tracked at only around 8 million on VGC but it's undertrackede.  Mobile makes up a big part of the number, but let's say 50:50 to be generous.

50 million * average price let's say $13.5 = $675.  Take 30% off for retail cost = $472 Million.  Take cost of running company, marketing, tools, licensee fees on console, etc... it's not a million miles away.

My 8th gen collection

Sony is doing well. Maybe in a year or two will see a price cut when they lower the production costs. They want to make a profit from each console this time, and no more PS3 mistakes to sell on a lose.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

ICStats said:

13.5 + 98 + 128 + let's say 150 this year = $389 Million profit life to date.

Do you think they sold more units at $20 or at $7?  The console versions are tracked at only around 8 million on VGC.  Probably mobile makes up a big part of the number, but let's say 50:50 to be generous.

50 million * average price let's say $13.5 = $675.  Take 30% off for retail cost = $472 Million.  Take cost of running company, marketing, tools, licensee fees on console, etc... it's not a million miles away.

You haven't touched on DLC profits. The merchandise profits could be massive as well. A lot of the merch is more expensive than the game.

So hey, I'm skeptical.

Recently Completed

withdreday said:

Nearly everyone I know is getting Xbones now because of the recent price cuts and the Ass Creed Unity bundle has been on top of the PS4 on Amazon for about 2 weeks now.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_videogames_home_all/181-0165301-8925034?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0MH7HR6F0MZPC0AJA08J&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_p=1286243362&pf_rd_i=home

Is it possible that the PS4 raging success caused them to have a bit of PS3 syndrome where they thought people would pay more just because it has the better specs and the Sony logo on it?

I feel like they're in danger of letting MS back in the console war if this price drop is left unanswered and I'm not sure the GTAV bundle will make up for it.

lool look at sony financials , then look at ms financialssony cant afford to they are happy making profits on ps4