By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

Ka-pi96 said:
NewGuy said:
Conegamer said:

Whilst I'm not sure about the practice of "disguising" the numbers in this way, what I do know is that these numbers are confidential and were asked not to be shared. Is that the right thing to do? Perhaps not. However the graph which was posted in particular is quite a clear violation of Rule 15 on this site. Read up on it if you'd like.

As Tor said however there's no well-defined rule about this, nor am I pleased with how the numbers were displayed in the first place. However a little courtesy would be appreciated for the longevity of the leaks; else soon enough we'll get nothing at all because people couldn't be discrete for a month. 

So I guess it's your call, really. We've made our decision and standpoint clear, now it's up to you whether or not you wish to respect that or not.

Could you kindly point me to that rule? I glanced through the TOS and did not find it:

http://www.vgchartz.com/terms-of-use.php

15. Do not post links to or requests for copyrighted content. This is pretty well black and white - posting links to, or requests for, copyrighted content can and will get you banned. Copyrighted material includes, but is not limited to: copies of games, ROMs of console games (not including wholly from scratch creations, subject to any licenses said creations may have), and leaked versions of not-yet-released games, even ones that will be freely available in the future. Just because you've got your hot little digital hands on a leaked copy of the Half Life 3 open beta a few years/decades/centuries early, doesn't mean that you can share it here. The same goes for movies, unless they are hosted on a reputable video website. Feel free to defend and discuss piracy in general, but don’t use the forums as a means of sharing pirated content.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forum-rules.php

Thanks for the link. That is a VERY open interpretation on the rule, even when we include the graph. The graph and content are not copyright material. A post on the internet is not written material. If we are gonna enforce that, we might as well enforce the rule for full copy/paste articles and scans from magazines, none of which are copyright materials.

That rule, as it clearly states, is for prohibiting people from sharing .MPEG files for movies, .MP3 files for music, .EXE files for games/apps, etc. That stuff is clearly copyright material.

Apples and oranges IMO.

Conegamer said:
DonFerrari said:

And since when NPD numbers are copyrighted material? It is quite reaching to mod based on that. And if it was really moddable then these threads should have been banned from the beggining.

Before the numbers were either leaked with a range, or given to us straight from NPD. The graph literally said "DO NOT SHARE THIS" or something on the top which is close enough for me.

Anyway, yeah because of the events in this thread it's pretty much a certainty that we won't be getting NPD leaks from now on. You can agree or disagree with what we said, fine, but at the end of the day it was merely to try and keep these threads going. As it stands it seems like that won't be possible.

Something that has the caption, "DO NOT SHARE" != copyright material. Never has. Sorry, man, can't agree with you on how we interpret that rule.

Around the Network
soony_xbone_U said:
Ninsect said:

Exclusive software pie:

Blue = Sunset
Yellow = Driveclub
Orange = Bayonetta 2
Grey = I have no clue

Nah that doesn't fit very well. It's probably total exclusive software this month on PS4, XB1, WiiU, 3DS. No idea which color is which

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Yeah and even if it says "DO NOT SHARE" that just mean aquamarine shouldn't share it...yet she does.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Good to have figures after 31 pages.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I'm not buying Aqua's reasoning on this at all. I have three sites open at all times (as I have now): N4G, VGC and Gaf. N4Gs is the best site to actually see the reality of where those numbers are coming from because it's an aggregate site, and trust me, it aint VGC that's taking Gaf info and turning it into articles.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

Before the numbers were either leaked with a range, or given to us straight from NPD. The graph literally said "DO NOT SHARE THIS" or something on the top which is close enough for me.

Anyway, yeah because of the events in this thread it's pretty much a certainty that we won't be getting NPD leaks from now on. You can agree or disagree with what we said, fine, but at the end of the day it was merely to try and keep these threads going. As it stands it seems like that won't be possible.

Do you really think NPD, Sony, MS or Ninty care about the numbers getting leaked a week after all the media outlets have moved on. GAF and VGchartz have a late little party for them and that's it. It's not mass humilaiation for MS like it woul;d have been if they were leaked day 1. 

In future aqua should wait at least 4 days to release the numbers. But I feel he craves the attention to much and won't be able to resist. 

Intrinsic said:
All this leaking crap is just BS. Do people here think that anyone giving out these leaks doesn't somehow like the attention they get? Especially with how NeoGaf is structured. There are way easier dram free ways to make thee leaks without all the James Bond shit. The leakers as far as I am concerned are just attention seeking whores. They can keep their bloody numbers lol.

Case in point; All a leaker has to do is verify their info with the Mods on Gaf, then give the numbers to the mod in a PM and instruct said PM to release publish it in the thread after like 4 or 5 hours. And thats it. No one will ever know who the leaker is. Everyone will be happy. Problem solved. And this way the leakers could even give way more information than they do.

That is what a leaker would do if they were really doing this cause they wanted to help give some transparency to the gaming industry. But this nonsense of giving off the numbers directly and all cryptic and shit is just an attention seeking ploy. There are waaaay easier, hassle free and comprehensive ways of accomplishing the same thing.

You have to understand that Aqua wants to make a name for himself and he loves the attention. He would never let the numbers get leaked without his name being all over them. He leaves in his own little bubble over there on GAF. 

Conegamer said:
DonFerrari said:

And since when NPD numbers are copyrighted material? It is quite reaching to mod based on that. And if it was really moddable then these threads should have been banned from the beggining.

Dude! A leaker cannot claim copyright on material they are leaking hence any request to NOT SHARE has no weight under the vgc copyright rule. If the leaker themselves is breaking copyright and acknowledges this and states that anyone who redistributes the content is also breaking copyright then sure that could break the vgc copyright rule. But without a direct assertion of the rights of the actual rights holder then there is no clear copyright matter to be moderated.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Conegamer said:
DonFerrari said:

Dude! A leaker cannot claim copyright on material they are leaking hence any request to NOT SHARE has no weight under the vgc copyright rule. If the leaker themselves is breaking copyright and acknowledges this and states that anyone who redistributes the content is also breaking copyright then sure that could break the vgc copyright rule. But without a direct assertion of the rights of the actual rights holder then there is no clear copyright matter to be moderated.

It is like people who scanlate or fansub an amanga/anime and ask others to respect their work and not distribute outside... While they aren't the copyright holder nor respected the holder's right.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

So vgc overtracking X1 as expected, same for novembre i guess

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

The funny thing about all this is before aquamarine started this secretly trying to hide the data, no one was really talking about him or her on here. Now people are actually talking about the individual leakers here because he strangely thought there are not tons of vgc members also on GAF.