By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

That's what I figured. Perhaps the mods can figure out a way to make these topics more 'private' to the views of un-registered members? Like only allow members with a certain amount of posts to view and reply to these topics?

Also, I see a lot of people ignoring what you just said and instead discussing it as if this is an ego thing for Aqua.
While that may have been a factor at some point or other, it doesn't mean that Aqua's primary concern right now isn't what you mentioned.
Would be nice of more members here could read/notice what you wrote, to understand what's going on.

I have np simpathy to someone who breechs his contract for internet fame and complain of the notorities.

You don't have to have sympathy for them, but if you appreciate the numbers being made available, surely we could do something to ensure that they don't have to be so scared of the NPD-cops that we eventually won't get those numbers. Because the way we post and discuss those numbers here can be seen even by non-members from a simple google search.

I honestly don't. If we have to basically discuss numbers without putting them and share through a overly complicated way then it isn't worthy discussing it. Just have the mods message everyone that qualifies for the numbers but no thread.

about mod cops, do you honestly thinnk that if npd cared enough they wouldn't already entered neogaf, looked into aquamarine twitter and all other investigation they can do? Or you think the company is so clueless that after several months of numbers being leaked they don't know from where it originated and if caring is after aquamarine and that obssfuscation will work?

If she wanted to distribute the numbers without asking for fame then she would have done as the mod said and wouldn't be directly traceable to her. she wants all the spotlight and drama.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

You don't have to have sympathy for them, but if you appreciate the numbers being made available, surely we could do something to ensure that they don't have to be so scared of the NPD-cops that we eventually won't get those numbers. Because the way we post and discuss those numbers here can be seen even by non-members from a simple google search.

I honestly don't. If we have to basically discuss numbers without putting them and share through a overly complicated way then it isn't worthy discussing it. Just have the mods message everyone that qualifies for the numbers but no thread.

about mod cops, do you honestly thinnk that if npd cared enough they wouldn't already entered neogaf, looked into aquamarine twitter and all other investigation they can do? Or you think the company is so clueless that after several months of numbers being leaked they don't know from where it originated and if caring is after aquamarine and that obssfuscation will work?

If she wanted to distribute the numbers without asking for fame then she would have done as the mod said and wouldn't be directly traceable to her. she wants all the spotlight and drama.

You don't appreciate NPD numbers being made available by an insider?
Or do you mean that you do, but you don't want to go through any trouble to try to ensure that we still get those numbers?
As for what we can do, who says it has to be overly complicated? My suggestion was to make these topics only viewable to registered members witha  certain post count. If many people brainstorm ideas, they might be able to come up with something better than that, or better than PMing each other about it.

As for mod cops, it's not impossible that they are ok with the numbers being discussed ina  secluded manner like on GAF, rather than appearing for everyone to see and spread as easily as we are making it by having these topics viewable by anyone.

Whether Aqua wants spotlight or not is not the concern here.
It's whether or not we want to keep getting these numbers, and if we can do something to post them in a mroe discrete manner that Aqua finds acceptable.
Simply assuming that we will anyway is not a productive way to go about it if there's somethign we could potentially do.
We'll surely get numbers from someone, but the problem is, without established crediblity behind those numbers, there's no way of confirming if they are correct or not. From my understanding, Aqua is the last remaining leaker with established credibilty. The other one quit leaking after being scared off by "NPD cops".

I like to discuss the numbers, but don't particularly care about having them, I would do fine without them and think it is useless to go through all the hassle to hide the numbers when if NPD is already hunting for the leaks because it got a lead nothing we do now would help it.

About a new leaker appearing, it' s accepted that anyone that post numbers in neogaf must shows their credentials, so if some new guy leaks numbers in neogaf and don't go banned them it' s reputable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

So.

3DS+Mortem+PSP+DS= ~172k

3DS lower than last month (is it okay this way mods?)

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

You can look at it like how someone leaks the full version of a game for pirates to download.
They make it available, but don't want it getting so much attention that they'll get a letter from the developers lawyers.

If you are doing somethimg ilegal and have fear of the consequences them perhaps you shouldn't do the ilegal not complain of people exposing you.

Perhaps. But if you still want to do it, and there are ways to make it a bit safer, then that's another way to go about it. There are many file sharing sites that only share with registered members, password protected zip files, or user term agreements that basically prevent the information from legally leaving the site, if you agree to sign up for it. This is mainly done to prevent "mod-cops" from entering the site and reporting them for what they find there, since they had to sign the agreement to become a member.
Now as for the poeople who make use of what they offer, and enjoy it, I think if they can do something to show some support, that's not too much to ask for. Not as a demand, but a possibility. That's why we can discuss it here.

Nothing you sign on that site would legally bind you. You can't sign an contract not to distribute something with someone that isn't the rightfull owner so the agreement would fill no purpouse.

I don't mid they trying to lessen the risk or asking people to respect their wishes, I just don't think anyone should care to obey it for people that didn't obeyed a CONTRACT in the first place.

I really don't buy into this "vgchartz is bring too much attention" theory.

Seriously people, she is posting this leaked information to one of the most popular gaming website in North America. Whether this site get's 1/8th the traffic or 7/8ths the traffic of neogaf, it makes no difference, the damage is done.

I think she is well aware of this too, and the real reasons are much more pety - either due to history between these sites, or for more attention. Regardless she is playing to her audience perfectly.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

Nothing you sign on that site would legally bind you. You can't sign an contract not to distribute something with someone that isn't the rightfull owner so the agreement would fill no purpouse.

I don't mid they trying to lessen the risk or asking people to respect their wishes, I just don't think anyone should care to obey it for people that didn't obeyed a CONTRACT in the first place.

I didn't say it was to stop the further distribution of the illegal material. I said the information, as in everything that surrounds it, which they can own, and can be neccesary to link something to a person. I don't remember the extent of the details, but I know some sites have done it. Either way it was just an example. The point is that even those who do these things tend to take precautions.

As for not respecting the wishes of someone who didn't obey a contract, you're acting as if you've never downloaded a song, movie, series, etc or anything ilegal in your life. You probably have, and I'm sure you knew full well that someone else owns the rights to it and doesn't want you to obtain it that way, but didn't care. I doubt many in our generation are in a position to look down on someone else for doing something illegal online at some point or other. Just because one person signs a contract and one doesn't doesnt mean it's not illegal.

Anyway, the focus isn't how or why Aqua is doing what she is doing. It's what do we want to do, for us.

I want to be able to openly discuss the numbers. If I can't do that then I'm not interested in secret squirrel stuff where some people know the numbers but can't talk about them and others don't.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Poor Wii U at least it did better than last year

NBA Live 15 sold "well below 25k" while 2k15 did 1.1m lol

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
NBA Live 15 sold "well below 25k" while 2k15 did 1.1m lol

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

Perhaps. But if you still want to do it, and there are ways to make it a bit safer, then that's another way to go about it. There are many file sharing sites that only share with registered members, password protected zip files, or user term agreements that basically prevent the information from legally leaving the site, if you agree to sign up for it. This is mainly done to prevent "mod-cops" from entering the site and reporting them for what they find there, since they had to sign the agreement to become a member.
Now as for the poeople who make use of what they offer, and enjoy it, I think if they can do something to show some support, that's not too much to ask for. Not as a demand, but a possibility. That's why we can discuss it here.

I didn't say it was to stop the further distribution of the illegal material. I said the information, as in everything that surrounds it, which they can own, and can be neccesary to link something to a person. I don't remember the extent of the details, but I know some sites have done it. Either way it was just an example. The point is that even those who do these things tend to take precautions.

As for not respecting the wishes of someone who didn't obey a contract, you're acting as if you've never downloaded a song, movie, series, etc or anything ilegal in your life. You probably have, and I'm sure you knew full well that someone else owns the rights to it and doesn't want you to obtain it that way, but didn't care. I doubt many in our generation are in a position to look down on someone else for doing something illegal online at some point or other. Just because one person signs a contract and one doesn't doesnt mean it's not illegal.

Anyway, the focus isn't how or why Aqua is doing what she is doing. It's what do we want to do, for us.

Why do you assume that I said I never pirated anything?

What I said is that someone that is breaking a contract to release info they don't own and legally can't release shouldn't ask people not to spread it. If I do something illegal and someone make the world knows I did it, I can't blame or be mad at the person who did it, because I was at fault when doing the illegal activity.

And about obfuscation... we ask VGC to have auto trim/collapse quote trees so we don't need to edit on devices that make that difficult or the mods have to complain about it. And that is a everytime need and even so we don't get it. And you think we should invest energy in making a cumbersome system to protect the demand that someone that despise this site and shit over their contract?