By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony, MSFT, Nintendo and more replacing VGX/VGA's with The Game Awards. Hosted by Geoff Keighley

E3, Gamescom, and TGS are the three big events I look forward to. Any award show seems meaningless in any medium. Does anyone get excited that a game they like won an award?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

"musical performances"

WHY!?

"Now, here to perform Fly Me To The Moon from Best Original Soundtrack nominee Bayonetta 2, (popular musical artist here)!"

There is a way to do this right. But will they do it?

Oh cool, looking forward to this then.

CosmicSex said:
If its a real show celebrating games, there will be no promos. Exactly. Anyway doesnt anyone find the time and locale very interesting. Literally the same city and day before PlayStation Experience starts...

I thought so too at first but Sony may have planned around this or asked for it.  Think about it they're already going to have all their people in that same city and there will be a lot of the same third party guys at both most likely.  Makes sense for them to just make one trip and get their show on for 3 days straight rather than have two completely separate events.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Augen said:
E3, Gamescom, and TGS are the three big events I look forward to. Any award show seems meaningless in any medium. Does anyone get excited that a game they like won an award?

I feel good when I see the developers on stage being honored by their peers or the journalists of their industry.  Though in gaming the peers would most likely mean much more to them.  If fans voted of course that would probably mean the most to them.  It's nice to see some hard work get someone a spot in the limelight.  I always get goosbumps when someone new wins an Oscar and they are crying or just seem very genuinely happy about being recognized.  I'm hoping a few smaller devs get some awards or someone who hasn't been there before like SoM's developers or something.  That would almost be as good as seeing Leo finally win an Oscar.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
KLAMarine said:

"musical performances"

WHY!?

"Now, here to perform Fly Me To The Moon from Best Original Soundtrack nominee Bayonetta 2, (popular musical artist here)!"

There is a way to do this right. But will they do it?

That'd be pretty cool but I question if they'll do this and not just shove some artist on-stage to try to get views.

Sounds exactly like the VGAs.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Serious question, why do people think this will be that much different than the VGAs?

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
Serious question, why do people think this will be that much different than the VGAs?

Geoff is producing and he wants it to be different. You could tell how displeased he was with the whole affair last year. Spike is no longer involved.

Not saying I have faith that it will be better, but I do believe Geoff is trying and there are reasons to have hope.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138245776&postcount=454

So, Keighly, why are the major console producers and game producers on the "advisory" council for this? It sounds almost more like a marketing event than the Spike awards show ever was (and it was hella advertising).

They are on the advisory board because I want their support. If you desire to build a show for the game audience it's kind of important to get it in front of those people who have Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam, etc., especially when I don't have a multi million dollar marketing budget.

What is the purpose of the advisory council?

To get their advice and show their support/endorsement of what I'm building. That's important now that I'm building the show independently.

What oversight does the advisory council have, if applicable?

Zero overnight, I just ask them for advice on topics and their support along the way.

How will the advisory council be maintained? Will members ever change? Is there disciplinary action (IE: Removal from council) if impropriety is found?

Yes we will be adding members over time, I'd like to expand the council to folks outside of gaming too down the road. No disciplinary rules in place right now, but if publishers campaign inappropriately to the judges they can have their games disqualified.

I'll talk more about the awards next week in terms of categories, voting and so on.

im ready to give him a chance to see if he can make a respectable awards program. if he can build something real from the ground up, it might have a chance

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz