By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia: Golden Days of Consoles Are Over, So Many Other Ways To Enjoy Games

I don't believe that...mobile gaming is very casual and does not offer the experiences that consoles do. The only other option is PC which is on the rise again but I would play a game on a console over PC any day.

Around the Network

Stop being so damn butthurt, Nvidia.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I need a big spoon of sugar. The grapes are too sour in this one.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

One thing is true: gaming PC market may be smaller than the whole console market towards the end of a successful generation, but it's always bigger than the top selling console taken sunderling, so yes, it's the biggest dedicated gaming platform (counting only PC gamers, not the huge mass of all PC users), and as a PC gamer I'm happy about it too. The most casual mobile gaming may be bigger, but core mobile gaming is puny and with its low sale prices (and low profit margin for games with large dev teams and high marketing costs) it cannot support the development of big exclusive games.
This said NVidia looks bitter and I guess the reason isn't envy, but greed: they miss the times when they had the monopoly on modern 3D GPUs and they could price even entry-level models relatively high, with high profit margin on them too. With ATI competing quite well in the low end, even more since it merged with AMD, this isn't possible anymore, NVidia can still enjoy enormous profits from mi, mid-high and high-end GPUs, but part of this market is at risk, as the low end becomes more and more powerful, and Steam statistics show that the majority of gamers at some point (subjective for each gamer) in the evolution of PC components becomes content of what it got, and remains content of its HW formore and more time. This time, with console APUs, AMD went further, as such APUs establish a milestone that can be used by gamers that aren't power and graphics whores to determine the power they need for the rest of 8th gen. Obviously a gaming PC will need some more due to lower efficiency, but this just shifts this dreaded goal just by a few months, depending on gamers budget and AMD ability to fill the step immediately above for APU power with a model priced attractively enough.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

torok said:
Captain_Tom said:
I am inclined to agree that last gen was the console "Golden Age" of gaming, but the sales of current consoles speaks to the contrary unfortunately. Sorry Nvidia.

Of course it's on decline! Looks at the NVidia data:

6th gen: 24 million console GPUs sold.

7th gen: 85 million console GPUs sold.

8th gen: 0 console GPUs sold.

Coming from their own shipment data!

LOL very true!  Hey but it isn't zero.  I am pretty sure they sold ~3 Shield tablets :P

Around the Network
torok said:
disolitude said:

Its funny but Nvidia stock is at a 1 year high and latest revenue numbers are record breaking for the company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/11/07/nvidia-reports-a-record-q315-continued-growth-in-pc-gaming-automotives-large-scale-data-centers/

Yet AMD which has 100% of console GPU and CPU marketshare (wii U excluded but come on) is sucking on Intel and Nvidia's dust on both markets  on the revenue side. 

Just a little joke ;) . Console GPUs won't help a lot on revenue. They will be sold at a contract with mass price and low profit margin, while a desktop GPU is sold standalone for a bigger margin. My point here is that NVidia only started to do this kind of statements after they lost the console contracts. I wonder if the Tegra SoCs stopped being manufactured we wouldn't be seeing some statements about the end of the mobile golden age.

AMD issue is that they have a low margin marketshare (consoles) and 0% mobile share. The higher percentage of laptops on the PC market isn't helping them because Intel dominates and the percentage of devices with dedicated graphics is lower here. They only have a good position on the desktop PC market, but even here I think NVidia can keep the pressure with their tech. In the GPGPU side, Nvidia completely slaughters AMD thanks to CUDA, it's not even a contest.

That is just flat out false.  CUDA is dying off thanks to OpenCL (Which AMD is FAR better at).  That is why Apple is slowily transitioning to pretty much all AMD graphics.

Get real nVidia dude. The Golden Age of consoles was over after the SNES/Genesis generation.

The ''golden days'' of consoles ended 15 years ago, thank you, consoles are still around. You know what, im not gonna have a conversation about in how many possible ways the console market can dissapear, just call me when it happens, if you live to see that day.

Captain_Tom said:
torok said:
disolitude said:

Its funny but Nvidia stock is at a 1 year high and latest revenue numbers are record breaking for the company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/11/07/nvidia-reports-a-record-q315-continued-growth-in-pc-gaming-automotives-large-scale-data-centers/

Yet AMD which has 100% of console GPU and CPU marketshare (wii U excluded but come on) is sucking on Intel and Nvidia's dust on both markets  on the revenue side. 

Just a little joke ;) . Console GPUs won't help a lot on revenue. They will be sold at a contract with mass price and low profit margin, while a desktop GPU is sold standalone for a bigger margin. My point here is that NVidia only started to do this kind of statements after they lost the console contracts. I wonder if the Tegra SoCs stopped being manufactured we wouldn't be seeing some statements about the end of the mobile golden age.

AMD issue is that they have a low margin marketshare (consoles) and 0% mobile share. The higher percentage of laptops on the PC market isn't helping them because Intel dominates and the percentage of devices with dedicated graphics is lower here. They only have a good position on the desktop PC market, but even here I think NVidia can keep the pressure with their tech. In the GPGPU side, Nvidia completely slaughters AMD thanks to CUDA, it's not even a contest.

That is just flat out false.  CUDA is dying off thanks to OpenCL (Which AMD is FAR better at).  That is why Apple is slowily transitioning to pretty much all AMD graphics.

This is a very long and slow transition. For instance, the vast majority of molecular dynamics software that use GPGPUs still use CUDA and this obviously restricts them to nVidia GPUs. Off the top of my head I can't remember seeing any (let me know if you know of any) that run OpenCL. nVidia were so ridiculously early to the party that it will take time before people switch to OpenCL.

Haven't they been saying the same thing every year for the past 5 years?