By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia: Golden Days of Consoles Are Over, So Many Other Ways To Enjoy Games

torok said:
Captain_Tom said:
I am inclined to agree that last gen was the console "Golden Age" of gaming, but the sales of current consoles speaks to the contrary unfortunately. Sorry Nvidia.

Of course it's on decline! Looks at the NVidia data:

6th gen: 24 million console GPUs sold.

7th gen: 85 million console GPUs sold.

8th gen: 0 console GPUs sold.

Coming from their own shipment data!

Its funny but Nvidia stock is at a 1 year high and latest revenue numbers are record breaking for the company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/11/07/nvidia-reports-a-record-q315-continued-growth-in-pc-gaming-automotives-large-scale-data-centers/

Yet AMD which has 100% of console GPU and CPU marketshare (wii U excluded but come on) is sucking on Intel and Nvidia's dust on both markets  on the revenue side. 

Around the Network

I kind of agree with him. There's really nothing a console can do that a PC can't do.

That said, consoles still have their place. They have a lower entry cost than PCs, and have more exclusives. If it weren't for these 2 reasons, consoles simply wouldn't exist today.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Nvidia is so mad right now lol

Apart from making GPU Nvidia has done nothing for gaming. Its consoles that have revolutionized gaming with exclusive titles and strong third party support for consoles. I would rather play 720p uncharted 2 rather than 4k RYSE.

The day that Japanese developers, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft starting releasing their IP for PC, then I will move on to just PC.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Around the Network

As much as I love PC gaming, this is probably the first time I agree with a statement like this. Console gaming is far from over but the golden age of console gaming seems to be getting behind.

disolitude said:

Its funny but Nvidia stock is at a 1 year high and latest revenue numbers are record breaking for the company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/11/07/nvidia-reports-a-record-q315-continued-growth-in-pc-gaming-automotives-large-scale-data-centers/

Yet AMD which has 100% of console GPU and CPU marketshare (wii U excluded but come on) is sucking on Intel and Nvidia's dust on both markets  on the revenue side. 

Just a little joke ;) . Console GPUs won't help a lot on revenue. They will be sold at a contract with mass price and low profit margin, while a desktop GPU is sold standalone for a bigger margin. My point here is that NVidia only started to do this kind of statements after they lost the console contracts. I wonder if the Tegra SoCs stopped being manufactured we wouldn't be seeing some statements about the end of the mobile golden age.

AMD issue is that they have a low margin marketshare (consoles) and 0% mobile share. The higher percentage of laptops on the PC market isn't helping them because Intel dominates and the percentage of devices with dedicated graphics is lower here. They only have a good position on the desktop PC market, but even here I think NVidia can keep the pressure with their tech. In the GPGPU side, Nvidia completely slaughters AMD thanks to CUDA, it's not even a contest.

So we got NVidia with half of desktop, a little bit of the laptops, some mobile and all the GPGPU market. AMD has half of desktop, a lower bit of the laptops, zero mobile, consoles and zero GPGPU and HPC market. It's goot to note that while losing share on PC or mobile takes some time, losing share on consoles can be instant (Nvidia went from having a decent share to having no share at all, it depends on the console manufacturer).

AMD's market situation had been a little dire for some time. Consoles won't help because they are basically commodities and only software generates profit (publishers and console companies).

Edit: NVidia just has to get their Tegra straight. They had a large share with Tegra 2 and lost it all to Qualcomm with Tegra 3 and 4 (nobody cared, the Nexus 7 was the only thing saving T3 from a flop). But I do believe in Tegra K1. At least I plan to upgrade my old N7 2012 with Tegra 3 for a new and nice Nexus 9 with the K1.

Sentient_Nebula said:
I kind of agree with him. There's really nothing a console can do that a PC can't do.

That said, consoles still have their place. They have a lower entry cost than PCs, and have more exclusives. If it weren't for these 2 reasons, consoles simply wouldn't exist today.

Aside from the Wii, all the others console before could be replicated by PC. PC was and always will be above Consoles specs wise. The point is that nowadays people can play in Smartphones and Tablets. That shrink the console market, but the average gamer still plays on Consoles, because there is where are the major quality games, console gaming die just when the main three move on to PC only.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

torok said:
disolitude said:

Just a little joke ;) . Console GPUs won't help a lot on revenue. They will be sold at a contract with mass price and low profit margin, while a desktop GPU is sold standalone for a bigger margin. My point here is that NVidia only started to do this kind of statements after they lost the console contracts. I wonder if the Tegra SoCs stopped being manufactured we wouldn't be seeing some statements about the end of the mobile golden age.

AMD issue is that they have a low margin marketshare (consoles) and 0% mobile share. The higher percentage of laptops on the PC market isn't helping them because Intel dominates and the percentage of devices with dedicated graphics is lower here. They only have a good position on the desktop PC market, but even here I think NVidia can keep the pressure with their tech. In the GPGPU side, Nvidia completely slaughters AMD thanks to CUDA, it's not even a contest.

So we got NVidia with half of desktop, a little bit of the laptops, some mobile and all the GPGPU market. AMD has half of desktop, a lower bit of the laptops, zero mobile, consoles and zero GPGPU and HPC market. It's goot to note that while losing share on PC or mobile takes some time, losing share on consoles can be instant (Nvidia went from having a decent share to having no share at all, it depends on the console manufacturer).

AMD's market situation had been a little dire for some time. Consoles won't help because they are basically commodities and only software generates profit (publishers and console companies).

Edit: NVidia just has to get their Tegra straight. They had a large share with Tegra 2 and lost it all to Qualcomm with Tegra 3 and 4 (nobody cared, the Nexus 7 was the only thing saving T3 from a flop). But I do believe in Tegra K1. At least I plan to upgrade my old N7 2012 with Tegra 3 for a new and nice Nexus 9 with the K1.

Yep, fuly agree with you. And the joke was great... :)

I am fairly certain that the "golden days" for consoleg aming for Nvidia isn't related to game console selling well, but them and other hardware manufacturers being able to make money on them. 

As a sidenote, Tegra 3 and 4 did ok but not as ood as Tegra 2 for sure. At least both were in nexus and Surface RT models which counts for media attention at least. K1 however looks to be very capable and should give them a GPU performance edge over the competition. The success to K1 will be a fully fledged Maxwell GPU which is when things will just get rediculous for Nvidia.

disolitude said:

Yep, fuly agree with you. And the joke was great... :)

I am fairly certain that the "golden days" for consoleg aming for Nvidia isn't related to game console selling well, but them and other hardware manufacturers being able to make money on them

As a sidenote, Tegra 3 and 4 did ok but not as ood as Tegra 2 for sure. At least both were in nexus and Surface RT models which counts for media attention at least. K1 however looks to be very capable and should give them a GPU performance edge over the competition. The success to K1 will be a fully fledged Maxwell GPU which is when things will just get rediculous for Nvidia.

The bolded is exactly the point. Looking at the Nvidia report, the most interesting part is that now only 25% of their revenue is liked to OEM contracts. They are actually working to be less OEM dependant and having to deal with tiny profit margins. Not that they won't be there, but they want to be sure that their standalone GPU business with good margins is healthier than ever.

And I forgot the Surface, they really managed to put it in there. The biggest issue with Tegra 3 and 4 is that they underdelivered. They never were the gaming machines promisses and a lot of the Tegra optimized titles had problems with framerates. The big problem is that the Snapdragons and the Apple AX were outperforming them at games, so the big point of the Tegra wasn't valid anymore.

But I really doubt that this time the K1 will have any problem to outperform handly the competition. I've said more than once on this forum: the problem with Tegra is that NVidia never used their full potential in their SoCs and they were letting competitors with zero GPU experience beat them at their own game. Now they are finaly bringing their top game to play.