Feature: The Big Nintendo Direct Summary - 5th November
Posted Thu 6th Nov 2014 06:00 by Thomas Whitehead
There were fireworks
There haven't been many full-on "old-fashioned" Nintendo Direct broadcasts in 2014, as the company has focused on game-specific presentations and an alternative Digital Event approach at E3. While variety is welcome, there was something reassuring about a live video featuring Satoru Iwata in front of a white backdrop; the Nintendo President looked well on his return, though as he himself stated has lost weight while recovering from surgery. He was back, though, taking us around the regions and saving the mightiest reveals for himself.
This presentation certainly started with a bang, delivering an announcement that had been in demand for what seemed like an eternity — The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D will come to the 3DS in Spring 2015. While it had always seemed an inevitability, the consistent teases and missed reveal opportunities had caused some doubt; it looks to be carrying on the good work of the fabulous Ocarina of Time remaster, too.
There was more than just Majora's Mask, however. Some demos arrived — though not the one we really wanted — while there were fresh details on established games; in addition a couple of release dates were given that, in fairness to Nintendo, were sooner than we anticipated.
As it can be tough to follow everything that happens in these broadcasts, we thought we'd provide — as is now tradition — a handy summary of links to the various articles we've produced from the Direct festivities. These aren't everything from the presentations — we recommend checking out the new Xenoblade Chronicles X footage near the end of each broadcast, for example — as in each region there were brief segments simply reiterating previously-known release dates and details.
Let's get on with it, shall we?
- Single Player Campaign for Splatoon Detailed, Q2 2015 Release Planned
- Every Smash Bros. amiibo Compatible with Hyrule Warriors, Spinner Weapon Revealed
- Local Multiplayer Confirmed for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Early 2015 Release
- Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 Hits on 13th November, Content and amiibo Details Confirmed
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Now Out on 2nd January in Europe, Fancy New Trailer Released
- The Original Duck Hunt is Coming Soon to the Virtual Console on Wii U, Character Finally Revealed for Smash Bros.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Confirmed for Spring 2015 Release on 3DS
- Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. to Arrive on 3DS in Spring 2015
- Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal Demo Now Available on the 3DS eShop
- New Footage of Mario and Luigi Content Arrives for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Wii U and 3DS
- Nintendo Highlights Huge Indie Line-up for Winter and Beyond
- Pikmin Short Movies Available Now on Wii U and 3DS eShop Stores
- Shovel Knight Now Available on the Wii U and 3DS eShops in Europe
What would you rate this Nintendo Direct? 1/10?