By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xblade Chronicles X and Final Fantasy XV World Sizes

Which Game Will Have the Biggest World?

Xblade Chronicles 253 53.83%

Final Fantasy XV 144 30.64%

See Results 72 15.32%

Total:469
the_dengle said:

Heyyy, you got an avatar! Nice. :P (First thing I noticed.)

I haven't finished TLS yet, but my point stands. IGN named it the 10th-best Wii game of all time... one spot ahead of Xenoblade.

How do you like it? :P

IGN can name a lot of things, doesn't make it less wrong. TLS has a terrible story... ironically enough. Its popularity is grounded in its pedigree not its actual substance. Pandora is far better as a game and tale, and neither is as good as Xenoblade.

... Of course, they all pale in comparison to the glory that was Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii Sports.

Around the Network

XD Hey I'm not arguing in favor of TLS here, I said I haven't finished it. But it's quite popular in spite of whatever flaws it may have.

Also, Xenoblade's setting is outstanding, but let's be real here. The story is pretty typical JRPG fare, especially towards the ending. It was well done, though, I enjoyed it. Just saying it's not like it's Shakespeare.

CosmicSex said:

You make very compelling points but you aren't accounting for things like data compression and the consoles HDD.   Still very valid points.  Money is always a factor and more assets and detail are more expensive.  At the end of the day, I would love to know how much FF15 cost to produce... over the course of nearly a decade of development mind you. 

They're not going to launch the game with a multi-gig day 1 patch, money is the limiter here not disc space. The development of FFXV is likely on astronomical, irredeamable levels at this point in terms of budgets and whatever has been made by now is probably near the total of what we'll see in a year or two from now. The Luminous engine is a resource hog on top of it all.

Also X won't reach the 50GB limit of the bluray sans some sort of gameworld to shame minecraft in size. The textures and models will not be nearly high quality enough to really eat into that nor will any other assets and unless the world maps are Skyrims stappled together in every direction, the Nintendo compression wizardry is not going to run into space problems for a single disc.

the_dengle said:

Also, Xenoblade's setting is outstanding, but let's be real here. The story is pretty typical JRPG fare, especially towards the ending. It was well done, though, I enjoyed it. Just saying it's not like it's Shakespeare.

Xenoblade's strength isn't really in its uniqueness, just the congruency of the story and structure. Its built well and builds on itself in a logical and forethought manner. Its a well written, albeit rather generic, story.

I'd say Xenoblade's story is the equivalent of the Mario difficulty curve. Something we've all seen before but sculpted carefully and delicately.

Vena said:

Xenoblade's strength isn't really in its uniqueness, just the congruency of the story and structure. Its built well and builds on itself in a logical and forethought manner. Its a well written, albeit rather generic, story.

I'd say Xenoblade's story is the equivalent of the Mario difficulty curve. Something we've all seen before but sculpted carefully and delicately.

Fair enough, I can't really argue with that.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

Fair enough, I can't really argue with that.

You just hate fun!

Non-sequitir 101.

Vena said:
CosmicSex said:

They're not going to launch the game with a multi-gig day 1 patch, money is the limiter here not disc space. The development of FFXV is likely on astronomical, irredeamable levels at this point in terms of budgets and whatever has been made by now is probably near the total of what we'll see in a year or two from now. The Luminous engine is a resource hog on top of it all.

Also X won't reach the 50GB limit of the bluray sans some sort of gameworld to shame minecraft in size. The textures and models will not be nearly high quality enough to really eat into that nor will any other assets and unless the world maps are Skyrims stappled together in every direction, the Nintendo compression wizardry is not going to run into space problems for a single disc.

Lol I chuckled, well I don't think anyone expects it to reach 50GBs.   In reference to FF15, I still find what they have shown so far to be very impressive.   They made a statement that it is 50% complete (whatever that means)  It is obviously top quality.  That Luminouse Engine is really amazing.  I think the size of the game is going to be quite suprising in the end.   The engine itself shouldn't really affect the games size... the money however...

Vena said:
the_dengle said:

Xenoblade's story (minus the rather cookie-cutter characters) was pretty good for the first two thirds or so of the game.  Then it tumbled into a spiraling mess of jrpg cliche to the point where I really had for force myself to finish the game.

CosmicSex said:

Lol I chuckled, well I don't think anyone expects it to reach 50GBs.   In reference to FF15, I still find what they have shown so far to be very impressive.   They made a statement that it is 50% complete (whatever that means)  It is obviously top quality.  That Luminouse Engine is really amazing.  I think the size of the game is going to be quite suprising in the end.   The engine itself shouldn't really affect the games size... the money however...

%s mean nothing in programming and game development.

And after eight? years in development, I'd hope it'd look impressive in a limited hype-fueled showing. :P

The engine affects the demand of the game on the system on which it runs. It affects RAM demand, bandwidth and channel bottlenecks, etc.

I honestly think they will be pretty close. Gotta keep in mind practicality: filling a world of significantly bigger time with meaningful content takes more resources. So there is a point where genre expectations and the demands of development start to limit you. Now both games compensate with faster movement speeds, one with a car, the other with flying mecha. So I think both will be closer in size than people think.

Also, I would like to point out Xenoblade's story may have a lot of roots in tropes, but those tropes are very genre specific so I kinda missed them myself (haven't played many jrpgs prior) xD .  And I felt that the uniqueness of execution was very cool.  It's kinda like Renaissance artists:  most were telling the same or similar stories with their art (in fact, there were like four or five major themes grand total for most of it xD ), just a question of who can tell it better and more uniquely.