By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The games industry needs to do more to protect women from online trolling."

Tagged games:

lol the funny thing is that this objectifies women

it basically says that instead of acknowledging the situation and taking appropriate measures that they are so passive that they need protection

i personally think that women should find this insulting

Around the Network

We seem to have arrived at the point where it's frowned upon to treat woman like "damsels in distress", yet we are expected to protect them as if they're delicate flower petals.

I have no doubt that it's often harder to be a female gamer than it is a straight male one, but enforcing this stereotype of girls being defenseless snowflakes just makes the issue worse. Girls are just as capable of deflecting/ignoring online trolling as those of us here. We don't need to protect [x] from [y], we need to encourage people to in general not be disrespectful towards anyone, for any reason.

It would also help if we confronted the heart of issues, rather then sensationalizing them. In many articles (not this one, thankfully) gamers are generalized based on the actions of the worst members of the community. This does nothing to help stop that minority of ass clowns continuing in their idiocy, it just pisses off everyone else and builds resentment towards those writing such articles.

gingergaymer said:

No one is saying men don't also get harassed online. 

But women are definitely disproportionately targeted by online harassment. They also often are the targets of misognyistic comments, sexual harassment, threats of violence, and threats of sexual violence. 

Trying to address this issue shouldn't be controversial. 

"Overall, men are somewhat more likely than women to experience at least one of the elements of online harassment, 44% vs. 37%. In terms of specific experiences, men are more likely than women to encounter name-calling, embarrassment, and physical threats."   http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/

Augen said:
I have no doubt women get attacked just for being women and that is wrong. However, from my experience it does not matter what you are you will get attacked. You "suck", they "rule", and they're going to hurt you and establish their dominance. Even if you win in the game it is false and you are somehow cheating them from their rightful place of alpha.

These are petulant children lashing out in their dull witted tantrums. If you're a women, or different race, or homosexual, that is just a quick hate short cut for them to hurl their abuse at you. Personally big part of why never bother anymore with online play, it adds nothing of value and make me into a misanthrope.

What's sad is that this is what people think about online play now. I first started gaming on my PC and I can't even remember having issues with people online. I'm sure it happened it was just so rare and trivial I don't remember. This seems to have really started once console gaming started to go online.

badgenome said:
Should we ban them from the internet for their own good?

Yes. And we should also ban anyone who says "game industry" in plural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_industry

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
We seem to have arrived at the point where it's frowned upon to treat woman like "damsels in distress", yet we are expected to protect them as if they're delicate flower petals.

Lol..you just won the thread.

I don't know how the industry can do anything to stop immature people from saying stupid stuff.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

NiKKoM said:
badgenome said:
Should we ban them from the internet for their own good?

There is no proof that there are women on the internet.. Can't ban or protect what is not there

I thought I played online with one once...but it was a a preteen boy.

This all started with one person, and I blame the those fools who gave her the attention.

Mystro-Sama said:
This all started with one person, and I blame the those fools who gave her the attention.

Well, I think people were trying to have a real discussion about the relationship between devs and journalists...but it sort of fell apart when she started screaming woman's rights.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.