By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "10 Hours of Walking In NYC As a Woman "

MDMAlliance said:
While some of the comments were strange and stupid, a lot of them don't constitute as harassment. The guy who was walking next to her all that time, there's no evidence he was doing it intentionally either.

But, that doesn't mean that a lot of those comments were "okay."

Well the guy walking next to her kept staring and walking right next to her so I think that would be harrassment. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
MDMAlliance said:
While some of the comments were strange and stupid, a lot of them don't constitute as harassment. The guy who was walking next to her all that time, there's no evidence he was doing it intentionally either.

But, that doesn't mean that a lot of those comments were "okay."

Well the guy walking next to her kept staring and walking right next to her so I think that would be harrassment. 

The clips were really short and really, it could have just been a coincidence.  There was very little to go off of.  "Kept staring at" when it says "5 minutes" but only showed like 20 seconds, you couldn't really determine that.  You would just have to go off of what the video said.

edit: And how would you feel if you were accussed of harassing someone just because you happened to look at them and were walking in the same general direction?   I'm not saying he WASN'T doing it, but there was also no evidence in the video itself that says he was either.

This isn't even that bad..

Now how many of you guys walk down the street and have a bunch of people greet you and a lot of times add things like "handsome" "cutie" and "prince"? Now imagine this has been happening to you ever since you were 14. While saying "hello" might not be open harassment, how many of those same guys do it to males too? Part of the reason a lot of women find this is harassment is because it is intimidating. If you are going to be assaulted by a stranger it is overwhelmingly going to be a male. Have any of you locked your car door because a woman walked by? Any lone person on the street would feel intimidated and harassed if what happened in this video was almost a daily occurrence.

I guarantee if one of these people said hello to everyone who crossed their path they would not feel as intimidated. But when someone pinpoints you to say hello too as you are walking down the street in makes it a little creepier.

And seriously anyone who thinks that guy walking beside her not saying anything wasn't being creepy and inappropriate is really just being silly. I would be freaked out if someone was doing that to me.

the thing about this is that ok women have to go through a lot of unwanted advances from men because of men acting on their sexual desire for women

but what is the solution?

even if we sit down with boys and reiterate to them over and over and over again that certain things are wrong

there will be some who will still choose to disregard what they are told and continue doing what they want

people in society generally understand that murder, theft, rape etc are wrong but they still happen why? because some people will choose to disregard the laws and commit acts of evil

behavior occurs on a spectrum meaning there will always be people who will go beyond the accepted standard for behavior

however, i personally think men as a whole need to start focusing less on garnering approval from women and instead spend more time in improving themselves and pursuing activities that they find enjoyable

i mean i can't really believe that there are businesses that profit from teaching men how to draw in women telling guys they need to do this, this and this spending loads of money all for what? to feel validation from a woman? just seems lame as hell imo

i think to a large extent this stems from the pressure that is placed on men to be appealing to women, that if you cannot appease women then you are not a real man

should men choose to tone down their vigor in terms of pursuing women, they are not real men etc

ironically a lot of this shaming actually comes from women

so its partially a self perpetuating problem shame men for pursuing you, when they stop and withdraw their attention shame them again for not being man enough to appease women etc

Around the Network
pepharytheworm said:
Now how many of you guys walk down the street and have a bunch of people greet you and a lot of times add things like "handsome" "cutie" and "prince"? Now imagine this has been happening to you ever since you were 14. While saying "hello" might not be open harassment, how many of those same guys do it to males too? Part of the reason a lot of women find this is harassment is because it is intimidating. If you are going to be assaulted by a stranger it is overwhelmingly going to be a male. Have any of you locked your car door because a woman walked by? Any lone person on the street would feel intimidated and harassed if what happened in this video was almost a daily occurrence.

I guarantee if one of these people said hello to everyone who crossed their path they would not feel as intimidated. But when someone pinpoints you to say hello too as you are walking down the street in makes it a little creepier.

And seriously anyone who thinks that guy walking beside her not saying anything wasn't being creepy and inappropriate is really just being silly. I would be freaked out if someone was doing that to me.

#1 Many times strangers do randomly say "hello" to others as they pass them on the street or something.  Especially if you live somewhere like in the southern parts of the United States. 

#2 You wouldn't know if someone says hello to everyone who crossed their path or not unless you stopped yourself.  

#3 It happens all the time where someone happens to be going the same direction as you when you're walking somewhere, especially a crowded area.  Saying it's creepy is the silly thing unless you have good evidence to say that they were doing it to follow you.  That video barely showed any and let us just believe that he was doing that by saying he was.  He could have, but he also probably wasn't either.

Reminds me of that meme where some random guy says "good day!" to a woman, she gets all nervous and shit, then goes to her house and start typing on the internet that she almost got raped today.

Chevinator123 said:
Atafech said:
Male version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY&list=UU-DUrA-h7-s_C57ECJ1BFPA

embeded for you

Need a thread on this one.

The girl at the end

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

MDMAlliance said:
pepharytheworm said:

#1 Many times strangers do randomly say "hello" to others as they pass them on the street or something.  Especially if you live somewhere like in the southern parts of the United States. 

#2 You wouldn't know if someone says hello to everyone who crossed their path or not unless you stopped yourself.  

#3 It happens all the time where someone happens to be going the same direction as you when you're walking somewhere, especially a crowded area.  Saying it's creepy is the silly thing unless you have good evidence to say that they were doing it to follow you.  That video barely showed any and let us just believe that he was doing that by saying he was.  He could have, but he also probably wasn't either.

Saying good morning because your a sociable human being and saying hi because you wanna F someone is not the same. There is much sexual context in the video people are blatantly ignoring. They are objectifying her and she has the right to not want that attention constantly being thrown at her. 

teigaga said:
MDMAlliance said:
pepharytheworm said:

Saying good morning because your a sociable human being and saying hi because you wanna F someone is not the same. There is much sexual context in the video people are blatantly ignoring. They are objectifying her and she has the right to not want that attention constantly being thrown at her. 

That is the way the uploader wants you to see it, by putting that kind of context into it.  You could have the exact same situation with a different context given to it, and it wont seem that way anymore.  Some of the guys there were obviously doing it, but not all of them you can actually confidently say they were.  And regardless of that, it's still going way too far to call it "verbal harassment."  In what way is it harassment?  They are not forcing her to respond to them, and they are not approaching her, and little to no evidence of them trying to do anything but greet them.  Just because they are a male and she only showed the males speaking doesn't mean that they were all motivated by the same thing.   When you put in such ambiguous "harassment," you come across all sorts of problems.  I am not trying to discredit the entire video or the point the video makes (which, quite clearly, almost everyone already knows about by now given that the media is rampant with it), I am just saying it's a bit dishonest with some of its representation.