By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "10 Hours of Walking In NYC As a Woman "

contestgamer said:

You know what my point was - if any of those guys in the video didn't greet men the same way, then they are comitting sexual harassment, because the greeting is simply a way for them to open with the opposite sex. 

Actually, treating someone different because of their sex is discrimination, not harassment.

Whether it is positive discrimination (buying drinks) or negative is irrelevent. Calling it harassment trivialises the meaning of actual harassment and let's be honest, it's like a store attendant claiming assault because a customer tapped them on the shoulder for assistance.

Yes assault involves deliberate contact with another person, but that doesn't mean all contact with another person is assault.

Just saying hello because someone is a girl isn't automatically harassment. If it persists, that's when harassment starts to apply, because that's what the word actually means.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Harassment: aggressive pressure or intimidation

I already discussed how women find it "intimidating" whether or not that is your intention. Of course this isn't clear cut and no one is going to jail for saying "Hi" when they really wanted sex. This video should just make people realize how their actions can be perceived and now the ball is in your court to change that perception. Saying we didn't do anything and putting blame on her will not change anyone's perception . You want this to stop then the next time you approach someone you are sexually interested in, instead of thinking about what you want think also about what they would want.

I held the door for two older women today, I hope they didn't think I wanted to screw them, cuze that's just ugh

Hi

contestgamer said:
ZombieJesus said:
The absurdity of the inference made based upon the video is truly tantamount to the low intellect of its creators. In the minds of no rational person are greetings considered harassment, let alone sexual harassment. Furthermore, if a man propositions a female for sex, it isn't sexual harassment merely because the female is not interested. There must be persistent, unwarranted proposals despite the objections of the victim.

That being said, not a single instance here qualifies as harassment, let alone sexual harassment.

If a greeting is made specifically to the opposite sex, then it IS sexual harassment because the goal of the greeting is no longer to greet the woman kidnly, but to act as a doorway to sex.

No, it isn't. Harassment must be repeated and systemic. You seem supremely ignorant to what constitutes harassment. You should get outside more, since your delicate sensibilities are offended by a mere greeting.

The fact of the matter is that simply because a sexual proposition is unwanted does not mean that it is harassment for the same exact reason as an insult isn't harassment.

Around the Network

This is a completely ridiculous thing to try to "police". Where do you draw the line on what is or isn't harassment? out of 10 hours they came up with 2 minutes of video that mostly consisted of her being "greeted". How do you decide which of those greetings are aggressive in nature and which are just polite? If 2 different guys approach her and she finds one attractive and not the other, is the ugly guy harassing her just because she isn't attracted to him. Its and absurd cause plain and simple and its mind boggling that anyone would give them money.

pepharytheworm said:
Harassment: aggressive pressure or intimidation

I already discussed how women find it "intimidating" whether or not that is your intention. 

But is it aggressive intimidation? I'd say most of the examples were more passive. The ones following up with "HEY YOU THINK I'M UGLY!?" etc, THAT is Harassment. However the idea of saying hello to someone is not, and you can't say well it is if they want sex with them, because, although you can make an educated guess. Here's the reality, You don't know what is going through that person's head.

And unless you can conclusively prove the reason for whatever someone has done, you cannot outright state their intentions as a fact.

It just shows how much prejudice people have.

"In breaking news, a man has pleaded guilty to saying hi to a woman in the street. This heinous crime has left the neighborhood shocked, and under new legislation, the man will now be placed on the sex offender's register. He was convicted of one count of greeting a female, and two counts of having a sex drive, and faces four years in jail.

According to experts, sexual harassment is at an all time high, with the average woman reporting receiving verbal greetings from at least three men daily."

gg curl-6... gg! :D

Im starting to notice the internet has become the place to make everything an issue now. Everyone is playing the victim card now and a lot of them are asking for money on top of it. Seems to be because of how easy it is to make a video.

This is just a new fad on the internet right now and eventually people are going to get tired of peoples silly causes or complaints and will move on to something new.

Theres only so much money people can donate to these stupid things and eventually they'll realize they've donated to way to many causes.