By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Taylor Swift's 1989 Album About To Smash A Record!

Sources confirm. 1989 will be the biggest selling album since 2002.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Ps3 said:

Taylor Swift completely broke ground. She's responsible for country music crossing over to  pop radio. If it wasn't for Taylor country songs wouldn't get pop airplay, she is single handedly saving the dying music industry. Without Taylor and a handful of others music wouldn't exist anymore. The Beatles, MJ, and Aretha are talented, but Taylor just has a special quality... I think they lack that. She clearly is the answer to music. Don't get me wrong! The Beatles are super talented, so is Aretha and MJ, but compared to Taylor... They just don't cut it.

Ah, so Taylor Swift is responsible for the downfall of country music. I was wondering who was to blame :P

Ps3 said:
brighat said:
I might be a tree, lion or living another life come 2050 but I'd bet my life savings that people won't be listening to Taylor Swift albums but they will still be listening to Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Beethoven. It's called bubblegum for a reason.

Thanks for the new pic. She looks good in that one.

She's not bubblegum, and FYI Elvis, The Beatles, and among others were all considered bubblegum back in their glory days..

Thanks, I love it. lol

Elvis was largely considered to be "the devil's music"...Taylor Swift is as PG/PC as you can get 

Country is just as good as it was back then. Country if anything is stronger now.

Yeah, but teen girls still idolized him more than men.. He was pretty much the Harry Styles, Robert Patinson, Taylor Lautner of the 50s.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

Ps3 said:

They've never had a song cross over to pop radio.

*facepalm*

http://www.elvis.com/about-the-king/music/billboard_top_20_charts/popsingles.aspx

Pop Singles

Song Title Pop Chart Year Released
Heartbreak Hotel 1 1956
I Was the One 19 1956
Blue Suede Shoes 20 1956
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You 1 1956
Don't Be Cruel 1 1956
Hound Dog 1 1956
Love Me Tender 1 1956
Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be) 20 1956
When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again 19 1956
Love Me 2 1957
Too Much 1 1957
All Shook Up 1 1957
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear 1 1957
Loving You 20 1957
Jailhouse Rock 1 1957
Treat Me Nice 18 1957
Don't 1 1957
I Beg of You 8 1957
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck 2 1958
Doncha' Think It's Time 15 1958
Hard Headed Woman 1 1958
One Night 4 1958
I Got Stung 8 1958
(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such As I 2 1959
I Need Your Love Tonight 4 1959
A Big Hunk O' Love 1 1959
My Wish Came True 12 1959
Stuck On You 1 1960
Fame and Fortune 17 1960
It's Now or Never 1 1960
Are You Lonesome Tonight? 1 1960
I Gotta Know 20 1960
Surrender 1 1961
Flaming Star 14 1961
I Feel So Bad 5 1961
Little Sister 5 1961
(Marie's the Name of) His Latest Flame 4 1961
Can't Help Falling in Love 2 1961
Good Luck Charm 1 1962
Follow That Dream 15 1962
She's Not You 5 1962
Return to Sender 2 1962
One Broken Heart for Sale 11 1963
(You're the) Devil in Disguise 3 1963
Boss Nova Baby 8 1963
Kissin' Cousins 12 1964
Such a Night 16 1964
Ask Me 12 1964
Ain't That Lovin' You, Baby 16 1964
Crying in the Chapel 3 1965
(Such an) Easy Question 11 1965
I'm Yours 11 1965
Puppet on a String 14 1965
Love Letters 19 1966
If I Can Dream 12 1968
In the Ghetto 3 1969
Suspicious Minds 1 1969
Don't Cry, Daddy/Rubberneckin' 6 1969
Kentucky Rain 16 1970
The Wonder of You/Mama Liked the Roses 9 1970
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me/Patch It Up 11 1970
Burning Love 2 1972
Separate Ways 20 1972
Streamroller Blues/Fool 17 1973
If You Talk in Your Sleep 17 1973
Promised Land 14 1974
My Boy 20 1975
Way Down 18 1977

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

^^^^Forgive me, Elvis actually has 16 or 17 #1s.. He's 2nd to Mariah. That was ignorance on my part, but as you notice, he has a lot of misses, AKA a lot of flops. I was wrong to say that, I actually knew Elvis had lots of #1s..

Ps3 said:

Some people open their heart easily to others. I wish she wouldn't do it, but she just wants love, like the entire human race. She's just a human.

Ps3 i like you quite a bit and all but please don't downplay Taylor. She is a princess and a goddess. Yes, a Princess Goddess. Up there with Haruhi Suzumiya. 

Gratz on the sales.

Around the Network
Ps3 said:

^^^^Forgive me, Elvis actually has 16 or 17 #1s.. He's 2nd to Mariah. That was ignorance on my part, but as you notice, he has a lot of misses, AKA a lot of flops. I was wrong to say that, I actually knew Elvis had lots of #1s..

How bout this... let's talk again in 20 years and see what Taylor is up to... or even 10 years.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

green_sky said:
Ps3 said:

Some people open their heart easily to others. I wish she wouldn't do it, but she just wants love, like the entire human race. She's just a human.

Ps3 i like you quite a bit and all but please don't downplay Taylor. She is a princess and a goddess. Yes, a Princess Goddess. Up there with Haruhi Suzumiya. 

Gratz on the sales.

lol you're so right. Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate, so I just tried to simplify it for them. :P

I'm so thrilled. You have no idea.

NightDragon83 said:
Ps3 said:

How bout this... let's talk again in 20 years and see what Taylor is up to... or even 10 years.

She'll be around believe me... lol That's what you guys were saying to me on this forum back in 2008.. "LETS SEE WHERE TAYLOR IS IN A YEAR OR TWO!!" yetttt she's getting bigger with every album having the most successful album runs in the history of music, and that's a fact starting this week when her official first week sales are released. Taylor has been around for years now, she's not a new artist, she's on her 5th album and is selling more than the world for the last few albums. She's not going anywhere.. Keep wishing <3 Her fan base is too massive and will never give up. Radio could dump her if they wanted, but she'd still sell albums because she has the most dedicated fan base ever. If Taylor ran for president she'd win.

Taylor gets a lot of hate for being a dramatic person, but frankly she has turned that into the world's most successful career so kudos to her.

I love Taylor's music, Red being my favorite album for her... but I have to say, I am not enjoying 1989 at all. I find it dull and lyrically lacking in comparison to her previous efforts. I hope she does break Britney's record though! It's about time.

axumblade said:
Ps3 said:
NightDragon83 said:

Man that's some strong Kool-Aid you're drinking!  Apparently you've never heard of Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, George Strait, Kenny Rogers, Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton, The Dixie Chicks (before they imploded), John Denver, Johnny Cash... and some dude named Elvis..

They've never had a song cross over to pop radio, besides Shania. She had 2 or 3 hits, but Taylor is the first country artist to have multiple #1s on pop radio, and on the hot 100 alone.

You do realize that Shania Twain's Come On Over is the highest selling country album/highest selling female solo album of all time right? Also, The Woman In Me sold 12 million copies. Looks like Taylor Swifts highest is Fearless, which sold a little under 9 million copies. 

Okay, but that was in 1997 when sales were higher. Even Shania could NEVER EVER pull off the sales #1s in 1 week that Taylor Swift is doing.