By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Yet The Fastest Selling Console Of The History

I'm not trying to downplay the PS4's huge success. Nor am I trying to say that Destiny's bump shouldn't count towards sales or anything like that.

I'm trying to say that, unless the PS4 is undertracked by 2.2M units, you could also say the Wii was the faster selling console if you cherry pick the time frame (For example, first 10 months).

I prefer to use numbers sold-through, not shipped.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Around the Network
Sentient_Nebula said:
CGI-Quality said:
Sentient_Nebula said:
I guess the PS4 did outsell the Wii if your cherry-pick the time frame.

The Wii was pretty far ahead of the PS4 before Destiny came along.

Well, aren't games supposed to sell systems?

Yes, but the title of "Fastest-selling console" varies depending on what time frame you use. We could still say the Wii is the fastest-selling console if we count it as 9 months after launch.

So you jump in the thread moaning about cherry picking, then cherry pick?

Tachikoma said:
Sentient_Nebula said:
CGI-Quality said:
Sentient_Nebula said:
I guess the PS4 did outsell the Wii if your cherry-pick the time frame.

The Wii was pretty far ahead of the PS4 before Destiny came along.

Well, aren't games supposed to sell systems?

Yes, but the title of "Fastest-selling console" varies depending on what time frame you use. We could still say the Wii is the fastest-selling console if we count it as 9 months after launch.

So you jump in the thread moaning about cherry picking, then cherry pick?

I was using it as an example to demostrate my point.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

ethomaz said:
domflo said:
Most shipped in the timeframe, you mean. Wii was almost completely sold out at this point, while I guarantee you that I can find at least 50 PS4's at any given time in any MediaMarkt/Saturn/etc. in my vicinity.

Good on them, though. Let's see (and hope) that this keeps up.

VGC data in the link have the PS4 heavly undertracked... like over 700k.

I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is that Wii was sold out, while PS4, at least around where I live, certainly isn't (in the small town of Koblenz - population of 100k - we have 2 Saturns and 1 MediaMarkt and I visit all of them almost weekly. 2 of them always had more than 100 PS4's on shelves, while one is slightly smaller and thus displays less at a time - around 50). This is certainly anecdotal evidence, but still worth pointing out.

But it's not like we need to discuss that here. The number is pretty damn great no matter how we slice it, and it really doesn't matter too much what sold more. I just felt like pointing it out (since equating sellthrough and shipped is never a good idea).

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

Sentient_Nebula said:
I'm not trying to downplay the PS4's huge success. Nor am I trying to say that Destiny's bump shouldn't count towards sales or anything like that.

I'm trying to say that, unless the PS4 is undertracked by 2.2M units, you could also say the Wii was the faster selling console if you cherry pick the time frame (For example, first 10 months).

How?

VGC 13.5m SOLD
Nintendo 13.17m shipped

You see why your data is wrong?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Sentient_Nebula said:

Aren't you also cherry picking data here?

That's the point I'm trying to make. It could be either PS4 or Wii depending on what time period is used.

-Samuel Clemens

ethomaz said:
Sentient_Nebula said:

How?

VGC 13.5m SOLD
Nintendo 13.17m shipped

You see why your data is wrong?

indeed, even if every console shipped was instantly sold, it's still 330k overtracked, but more likely that 100-200k were in retail channels, so 13m sold through.

CGI-Quality said:
Sentient_Nebula said:

Hes saying that while the wii was sold out at this point, you can still find plentiful numbers of PS4s on the shelves. In reality both have sold rediculously well but we don't actually know which one had officially sold the most products at any given point. Most shipped doesnt = fastest selling.

Guys to end this discussion with facts.

PS4 was always ahead Wii.

VGC had PS4 2m UNDER shipment and Wii 300k OVER the shipment.

You guys are cherry picking WRONG DATA.

CGI-Quality said:
Sentient_Nebula said:
CGI-Quality said:

That's the point I'm trying to make. It could be either PS4 or Wii depending on what time period is used.

Hasn't etho been showing sold-through numbers this whole time, though? I don't see what's left to interpret. The data is there.

What it essentially boils down to.